Should Penn State Adopt a New Helmet For 2012 and Beyond?

tuffytoro

I like the idea of removing the stripe. What if they decided to show that this is not ok. They could replace their blue stripe with a color that represents child abuse awareness, such as the pink for breast cancer, say an orange stripe to replace the blue. I think that would be a nice subtle move by the university, it's noticeable but not in your face.

The problem with the logo is for the left side of the helmet you would need to either flip the orientation of the logo or just deal with the fact that it is backwards. With a logo so simple the flipped orientation may look awkward and forced.

Now would be as good a time as any to change things up at Penn state.

Also before any of this the university needs to get that spineless piece of :censored: Mcqueary the hell outta there.

Thing is...they were aware of the child abuse and did nothing, so for them to preach "awareness" is insulting.

Moving on...

I've always thought they should add that oval logo to their helmets. As someone else said, it looks like it was made for a helmet. I really like that last helmet concept posted with the lion head on a navy blue helmet.

I don't think that the blank helmets stuck around so long for reasons of tradition as they did because of Paterno's stubbornness against changing it. I think moving on from his preferred uniform would be a good move to make.

/PA resident

87Redskins.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be in favor of Penn State adding the oval logo to their helmet next year. It would do a little to distance themselves from the JoePa era without making a big change to their traditional uniforms. And it doesn't hurt that the lion logo would look great on a football helmet. And while we're at it, they need to bring the cuffs back and add a stripe to the pants. That would make one great looking football uniform.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Maybe its just me, but this topic is quite disturbing. Why are we even talking about Penn State football?

The whole athletic department needs to go - now.

I can see where you're coming from on this but I also think it's important to remember that when people see those uniforms, they will now forever think of the horrible things that were done to innocent boys.

It may seem trivial (changing the uniforms), but I think it's an important step for the Univ in showing they will not stand for the actions of the past.

Maybe its just me, but this topic is quite disturbing. Why are we even talking about Penn State football?

The whole athletic department needs to go - now.

I can see where you're coming from on this but I also think it's important to remember that when people see those uniforms, they will now forever think of the horrible things that were done to innocent boys.

It may seem trivial (changing the uniforms), but I think it's an important step for the Univ in showing they will not stand for the actions of the past.

Hey, they might as well take advantage of having a beautiful primary logo.

Tf9TG.jpg

Buna2009.png

>>>>>>

The Nittany Lion logo on the helmet on the right needs to be facing the facemask, not the other way. Surely they could do that, kinda like what the Baltimore Ravens did to achieve that.

I'd keep the helmet white if it were up to me.

At the risk of Godwinizing this thread, I must point out that many cultures used the swastika, and variations thereon, as sacred symbols for centuries before Adolf Hitler got a hold of it. Nowadays? Not so much. My point being that the weight of tradition won't necessarily be enough to keep Penn State's current helmet/uni design alive in the face of sufficient revulsion. Assuming their football program even continues, of course.

CCSLC signature.png

I thought they'd just add names to the back of the jerseys. That seems like the most likely subtle change they'd make to the uniforms over anything else. I can see a new coach going with that, provided it was someone who wasn't connected to the brand previously in an effort to modernize it. It's a big opportunity.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 months later...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/penn_state/20120125_UNIFORMLY_THE_SAME.html

No surprise, but Penn St. uniform to stay the same. Doubt there will be a memorial patch or anything but that's likely more to do with respecting Joe Paterno's wishes rather than some passive statement of separation or anything like that. Could be mistaken though, I guess we'll see. Never knew that players weren't allowed to have facial hair.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

http://www.philly.co...Y_THE_SAME.html

No surprise, but Penn St. uniform to stay the same. Doubt there will be a memorial patch or anything but that's likely more to do with respecting Joe Paterno's wishes rather than some passive statement of separation or anything like that. Could be mistaken though, I guess we'll see. Never knew that players weren't allowed to have facial hair.

Really?

Franco had a 'stache while there and so did Matt Suhey.

Really?

Maybe it's just beards then, though I'm not sure why one would be OK and the other wouldn't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Really?

Maybe it's just beards then, though I'm not sure why one would be OK and the other wouldn't.

It could have been put in place after 1986 since DJ Dozier had a mustache as well.

I guess I kinda get not wanting players to really look uniform and make a personal spectacle of themselves via facial hair, but allowing mustaches doesn't make sense then. All or nothing.

Archived