Different templates on home and away uniforms

carlosgg6

Technically, the Bears have a different template. The difference is slight, but there:

The stripes on the home are outlined and the road stripes aren't. It's actually bugged me for a long time.

(Yes, I know most of the people here know that difference but I just wanted to get it off my chest.)

First off, I don't think that is a different template, per say. The jerseys look like they are from the same set. The both have three attached stripes on the pants and three separated stripes on the jerseys/socks, the only difference is that the stripes on the white aren't outlined. However, look at it like this - both jerseys feature navy-white-orange-white-navy stripes. The road jersey is like a blown up version of the striping on the home one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something that's always kinda bugged me about soccer. You can't tell at a glance who is who. You turn on the TV and see this:

210606_NikeCarbassa_dif.jpg

Who is that? Barcelona? Really? No blue and red? No stripes? Sure it's the away kit, but nothing about it says Barcelona.

20114253235579409.jpg

Chelsea? Wouldn't they be better off with a white jersey with blue trim and maybe a yellow third kit? Instead their away and clash jerseys just aren't recognizable. Add that to the fact that soccer jerseys change every year, and it just gets out of control.

It why I like how most American pro sports teams do it: They keep design elements and colors consistent from one uniform to the next, from year to year. It's impossible to turn on the TV and not know that you're watching the Raiders and the Vikings, for example. In soccer you'll probably recognize only the home team unless the other is one of your favorite teams and you know all their kits by heart.

EDIT- 5.5 years later: 100th post. No big deal.

Grunge-Logos.png

No ones mentioned the NY Giants yet.

...and they look horrendous. What was wrong with this road uniform?

2800298_display_image.jpg

As it stands, they now look like a low budget NAIA team that has to order each part of their uniform sets in consecutive years.

Negative. The Giants road jersey and red socks are one of those quirks that shouldn't work, but does, because the Giants are the only team that does it. It makes them instantly recognizable. I still think they should add the red stripes to the home jersey, though, and use the home pants on both sets, even though I don't dislike the road pants. I'd also consider changing the home uniform numbers and helmet logo to grey, bu I'm not positive on that one yet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1960s Rams.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The 1996 Eagles. The first year of the midnight green makeover, the road jersey sleeves had black and green stripes instead of the Eagle logo, which was on the pants stripe instead.

Another difference during 1996-2002 was the stripe on the pants. The white ones were green with black outline while the green ones were solid black only.

This is something that's always kinda bugged me about soccer. You can't tell at a glance who is who. You turn on the TV and see this:

210606_NikeCarbassa_dif.jpg

Who is that? Barcelona? Really? No blue and red? No stripes? Sure it's the away kit, but nothing about it says Barcelona.

20114253235579409.jpg

Chelsea? Wouldn't they be better off with a white jersey with blue trim and maybe a yellow third kit? Instead their away and clash jerseys just aren't recognizable. Add that to the fact that soccer jerseys change every year, and it just gets out of control.

It why I like how most American pro sports teams do it: They keep design elements and colors consistent from one uniform to the next, from year to year. It's impossible to turn on the TV and not know that you're watching the Raiders and the Vikings, for example. In soccer you'll probably recognize only the home team unless the other is one of your favorite teams and you know all their kits by heart.

EDIT- 5.5 years later: 100th post. No big deal.

I suppose when I watch a match I see the home team and the opposition are in the other kits. It does become a bit weird when a team like Marseille wear Orange in the Champions League, Arsenal play against them in Marseille colours and Marseille's goalkeeper wears their usual home shirt.

Olympique+de+Marseille+v+Arsenal+FC+UEFA+Champions+Po9fnycl04Ll.jpg

On those shirts, Barca have worn that colour at different times in history, they won a European Cup in it.

koeman4_01.jpg

And the Chelsea shirt was the 3rd choice of shirt, used only when a team clashed with both their Blue and Black shirts on that season.

I can't believe no one said Michigan yet, they were the first to come to mind for me.

Their homes have been the same since the early 20th century... plain navy tops with maize numbers, plain maize pants. But their roads have been subject to all sorts of crazy.

msdn2.jpg

20091114154917_2009-1114-jg-UMvWIS-017t.jpg

I also remember seeing footage of them going all white on the road in the 70s.

As it stands, they now look like a low budget NAIA team that has to order each part of their uniform sets in consecutive years.

Agree entirely. While the Giants home uniforms aren't too bad, the whites are just...ugh.

Eli+Manning+New+York+Giants+v+Indianapolis+BkhosOr8bBIl.jpg

Revolting.

spacer.png

Agree entirely. While the Giants home uniforms aren't too bad, the whites are just...ugh.

Revolting.

I actually prefer the roads to their homes...and for me it isn't even close.

Revolting.

They could be a whole bunch better if the numbers and stripes were blue.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Revolting.

They could be a whole bunch better if the numbers and stripes were blue.

If the numbers and stripes were blue it would be exactly what you'd expect, and pretty boring.

I don't agree. I actually love the Giants away jerseys. I don't care about the lack of blue, I like the red. Blue is on the helmet.

But as others have said, soccer is always confusing with this. I don't get the choice of colors sometimes, when a team randomly throws in a yellow, blue, or green. It doesn't ruin anything for me, and actually looks cool. But just odd to have a color that doesn't make sense.

I feel like black is better as a neutral color and doesn't bother me at all and doesn't seem so out of place.

2ly2w09.jpg

I'd say the thing with soccer is that the colors of a club aren't typically limited exclusively to the crest. There are clubs that typically have a standard alternate kit that may be different than the crest's colors. Arsenal is more often than not a yellow/blue team when their first kit clashes. You might find some shades of those colors in their crest, but that wasn't the case before the updated it. Manchester United is often a blue team for alts, but you won't find any blue on their crest. Manchester City usually features a red and black look for their alt, same case with the crest. I could go on and on. There are just some looks that you'll find a club usually wearing that might not reflect in their crest. I'd say that a club's most important colors aren't the ones in the crest, but rather the ones you find in their primary kits. Manchester United isn't a red and yellow club, like their crest suggests, but rather a red/white/black team. It's more about the colors they wear.

Archived