San Diego Padres Unveiling

larrypep

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That link's dead, but per your blog post, the stadium patch is listed on the home instead of the friar. They make a last minute change?

I fixed the issue with the link. Sorry about that.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it looks like the Padres made some changes since I received the official files a few weeks ago.

That "Padres" script font needs to be buried in the Pacific. Its just way too hard to read and just not a great font overall. I love the rest of the identity, I just hate the fact that they stayed with the navy blue and ignored using brown and yellow. Someone dropped the ball here in my honest opinion.

Yeah, they look a little bland, but they look very clean. I really like the home unis and the alternate. The navy blue and white looks extremely clean. Good upgrade in my opinion.

I think some kind of yellow trim or something would of made these looks superb.

CHIEFS - BLUE JACKETS - CARDINALS

Fixed.

sdpprimary2012450x450.png

sdpalt2012450x364.png

Make the SD and outer gold ring white, and then I'd call it an improvement.

Either make both rings white or the wording and SD white. That would look more balanced.

Needs more brown, yellow and orange

Padres fans disagree.

The Padres fans I know agree with him wholeheartedly.

Minus the orange. Brown and gold only.

The good:

• New road script.
  • Alt logo with original friar.
  • Patch/stadium logo.
  • The fact that, despite the color scheme, this doesn't look too much like the Yankees or Tigers.
  • No more laundry detergent primary logo or bow-tie road script.
  • The navy alternate uniform is nice (though it would be nicer if the Yankees or Tigers had it instead).

The bad:

• Bland color scheme.
  • Circle primary logo.
  • Is that a sand outline around the "Padres" script on the home? The fact that I can't really tell isn't good. There's no sand anywhere else in the design package so it seems odd.
  • No brown. No orange. No yellow.

The ugly:

• The "Padres" script left over from the 2004-2011 look. It was bad then, now it's bad and out of place.

Overall, definitely an improvement over the 2004-2011 look. Still not great though. The Tony Gwynn-era navy & orange design was better. Brown would be great if it was done right. This is not great. It's not atrocious though, like the 2004-2011 look was.

Fixed.

sdpprimary2012450x450.png

sdpalt2012450x364.png

Make the SD and outer gold ring white, and then I'd call it an improvement.

Either make both rings white or the wording and SD white. That would look more balanced.

Padres fans disagree.

Minus the orange. Brown and gold only.

whatever.

I think we are splitting hairs here. Anything other than crappy overused navy would work just fine.

Padres fans disagree.

Vocal minority. The majority who are posting on SD local sites or the Padres message boards are quite pleased with this redesign. You have to remember that for 20 years now they've been in blue. It's what the majority of Pads fans either grew up with or have known longer than the brown at this point. The further we get from 1984 the less likely fans will want them to ever wear brown again as earlier fans become less and less of the fan base. Their 2 years of market research backed that up.

crappy

Please don't give the toddlers any ammunition. :P

hahaha....I came so close to using the word "poop".

I have to be careful with my vocabulary now that my first child will be born in less than a week. I hear that they are like little tape recorders.

Padres fans disagree.

Vocal minority. The majority who are posting on SD local sites or the Padres message boards are quite pleased with this redesign. You have to remember that for 20 years now they've been in blue. It's what the majority of Pads fans either grew up with or have known longer than the brown at this point. The further we get from 1984 the less likely fans will want them to ever wear brown again as earlier fans become less and less of the fan base. Their 2 years of market research backed that up.

You can make the same case for so many identities in pro sports. Many fan bases had to live through years of garbage identities before coming back around to something better.

As my musician buddy always says: sometimes you ask the crowd what song they want to hear, and sometimes you just play what they need to hear.

I think this is a case where people needed a surprise encore of brown and gold.

It's still awfully presumptuous to claim the voice of the fanbase. Please give opposing opinions the respect they deserve.

Not to mention that for a fanbase that supposedly doesn't like brown, the Padres sure sell an awful lot of it...

This isn't me talking, this is the Padres saying it. They specifically referred to brown supporters as a very vocal minority. If they're a minority, it implies the majority does not want brown. No presumption about it.

Padres fans disagree.

You can make the same case for so many identities in pro sports. Many fan bases had to live through years of garbage identities before coming back around to something better.

As my musician buddy always says: sometimes you ask the crowd what song they want to hear, and sometimes you just play what they need to hear.

I think this is a case where people needed a surprise encore of brown and gold.

Luckily this isn't a concert. In this case they have to wear what the fans want because the fans ultimately are the ones that buy all their stuff. Both uniforms and all the plethora of other clothes based on them. Not to mention another aspect of that, they win by NOT going to brown because people will still buy the Cooperstown brown stuff if they REALLY feel they need it in addition to their current blues and legacy blues. They go back to brown and suddenly all that cooperstown sales dry up from that "vocal minority".

Not all the fans post on message boards. And it seems like the ownership personally wanted to keep the blue, which is fine, but don't use the vocal majority/minority of a small portion of the fanbase as a justification.

Why not? The FO says they did 2 years of market research on it. Are we not to believe their word because it's inconvenient for a subset of people who believed otherwise?

Anyway sorry if I seem like I'm pushing this so much. I just get so tired of hearing, particularly on this board, that the Padres "need to" or "should be going" back to brown more often than not from people who aren't Padres fans and that anything else would be a "mistake." Particularly from people that wouldn't have to live with the brown. It was very nice to finally hear that some market research backs up the idea that Padres fans as a whole don't want brown back. That had been what I'd seen anecdotal and it's nice to see something other than an anecdote back that up.

Things look lke a mix and match mess. Different typefaces, styles, wordmarks all over the place. For the circle logo and the Padre secondary, why couldn't they have used the same font?

I like parts of it, and not others. Random.

So if you went to a store to buy a shirt you'd likely end up with the circle logo on it. Would that bore you? Maybe.

A few thoughts as a Padres fan:

1) I don't hate the new look, but I have a hard time envisioning the team wearing it for the next 15+ years. The home script with the odd looking outline is the worst part in my opinion. The blue alternate is my favorite, though I wish it had the Friar logo on the sleeve.

2) I'd be open to brown and gold if it were done correctly, but with MUCH due respect to the many talented concept-creators here, I haven't seen it done correctly. I think to pull it off the brown would have to be featured much more prominently than the yellow. As others have stated here, I also think a brown and sky blue scheme could be beautiful.

Archived