Northwestern Stadium

TimEOBrien

So I was at the NU game yesterday and my dad brought up how Northwestern has discussed moving the football stadium to the lake so that they can build a new, better facility with better parking and be closer to campus. With that in mind, I picked a location on campus and designed my thoughts for a new stadium.

Now, I've never done something quite like this so C&C appreciated.

First, I took this location - near the soccer and lacrosse fields and right on the lake.

New_Stadium_Old_Layout_1.jpg

And I redid the are to appear like this - the stadium scale is correct and the field is big enough for a field, sidelines and a bit of buffer room.

New_Stadium_Layout_1.jpg

(tan areas are sidewalks/paths)

As you can see, I have added a park that can double as gameday parking and a home to "Wildcat Alley" (pregame pep rally type event) on football Sundays. The new parking lot is much bigger than the one by Ryan Field. Both the Byron S. Coon Sports Center (which in my mind would be 2-4 stories) both have larger footprints than their current counterparts. The corner office in the B.S.C.S.C. would have a view of the lake and Downtown Chicago - a good recruiting tool for Coach Fitz:

ScreenShot2011-11-13at14450AM.png

But now to the stadium, The new stadium incorporates ideas from Stanford's new stadium and Ryan Field.

New_Ryan_Field_1.jpg

I estimate the seating capacity at around 45,000. The two towers will echo the towers from Ryan Field/Dyche Stadium but the rest seems all new to NU. the Stadium is right up on the field providing for a better atmosphere and could be used for big, scenic concerts right on the lake (which can be seen over the locker room/training facility north of the north endzone). The West upper deck is partially coverd by a roof spanning the towers and press box.

So, thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME JOB! We need more stadium concepts on these boards!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really like the odd curve to Ryan Field, bringing more of that to this concept would make it better in my opinion. Sprucing up those towers with some interesting architecture (probably not easy to draw up on the program you used) would add to it as well. Chicago's architecture is very interesting, maybe use something from the city.

Northwestern football isn't worth lakefront property.

What an insightful, helpful comment.

Oh wait, NU already owns the property (it's on campus), it's already being used by NU athletics and NU football has as many B1G championships in the past 16 years as Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Minnesota and Illinois COMBINED. They also have more B1G championships than Penn State in that time period and as many as Wisconsin.

Way to be an uniformed dick.

Pretty cool idea Tim. Likeside stadium would be awesome and probably be a cool recruting tool, and since they already own the land would help with the financing. A couple of suggestions, I would bump the stadium south just far enough to have the walkway go all the way around the stadium. Also, maybe have some more open area in the stadium that would allow for more views of the lake from inside the stadium.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Oh wait, NU already owns the property (it's on campus), it's already being used by NU athletics and NU football has as many B1G championships in the past 16 years as Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Minnesota and Illinois COMBINED. They also have more B1G championships than Penn State in that time period and as many as Wisconsin.

Why would they build a new stadium when they can't really emphasize athletics?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why would they build a new stadium when they can't really emphasize athletics?

Because they can and do emphasize athletics. And Pat Ryan (who rebuilt Dyche Stadium into Ryan Field 15 years ago) is very much alive and still VERRRRY rich. And there have been serious discussions about making this move to the lake, rather than be a mile or so from this location.

Way to be a pompous dick.

Great, Northwestern has three Big 10 championships. Super. Let's throw some more facts out there; ONE bowl victory, in 1948. Two 10 win seasons, in 120+ years of football. Admiral made a joke. Next time you want to be respond like an a-hole don't withhold all the facts. Northwestern football isn't any better than Indiana or Minnesota in terms of recognition these days. They're just, there.

Great, Northwestern has three Big 10 championships. Super. Let's throw some more facts out there; ONE bowl victory, in 1948. Two 10 win seasons, in 120+ years of football. Admiral made a joke. Next time you want to be respond like an a-hole don't withhold all the facts. Northwestern football isn't any better than Indiana or Minnesota in terms of recognition these days. They're just, there.

in 16 years the Wildcats have been to 8 bowl games, including 3 in a row. Pat Fitzgerald is turning the program into a consistent force who, while having a down season this year, beat a top 10 ranked team AT THEIR HOUSE. A new stadium and up to date facilities could be the difference in recruiting versus programs like MSU, IU, U Iowa, U of I and other schools below the 'top tier' programs - especially considering the wealth of HS talent in the Chicagoland area.

As an Indiana alum, I know how bad that program is. But 25 years ago Wisconsin was the laughingstock of the B1G. Now? They're a power house. How did that happen, they got a coach who believed in the program and they updated their facilities. It's not unheard of for this to change a program around. Look at the Schnellenberger-era Miami Hurricanes. Ramifications of his actions permeate south Florida 35 years later.

NU has the coach, the money and the location to turn this into a consistent force in the B1G.

Sorry you didn't like my comment, but I care too much for Admiral's ill-informed "joke".

(and as for bowls, two years ago, they took an Auburn team, destined for the next year's Nat. Champ., to two overtimes in Tampa and would have won in regulation or the first overtime had they had a halfway decent kicker.)

JMO, but Tim was presenting a concept and asking for C&C, coming on and just saying NW isn't deserving of lakefront property is neither constructive, or critiquing the concept. It's just being a dick.

A few more images:

The West Stands

West_Stands_NU_1.jpg

The North Endzone:

Locker_Room_NU_1.jpg

That would be a sweet view from the press box.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

A few more images:

The West Stands

West_Stands_NU_1.jpg

The North Endzone:

Locker_Room_NU_1.jpg

I had no idea about about the school's lakefront property but I'd jump on it. Designed in a way that captures the lakefront winds like the new Soldier Field and you have a potential homefield advantage. Also having a view like this gets the alumni to come back and extend their fanbase to more of Chicago, especially if the team continues to win and the stadium looks better than Soldier Field.

That's really cool. Can I ask what program you used to design this?

Sorry about answering for him, but it's Google Sketch-up. If I'm wrong Tim, you can yell profusely at me.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I've parked in the existing parking lot and I think that would be a great location for a football stadium.

One thing I notice is that the only view of the lake will be from the press box. Maybe open it up at one end?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So where are the soccer/lacrosse fields going to go? I'm sorry but throwing everything out of your university for football, not to mention a school with no football history is dumb. It looks really good, but in all honesty you can't eliminate two sports in which they better at, for one in which they are :censored: in.

Steven_Gerrard_sig_by_Gerrardinho.pnglucassig-1.pngAgger.jpg21l0u9i-1.png

I think it would be a very cool idea if it ever came to life.

The only downside to it I see is that there's not much room for expansion, but as it is now Northwestern plays in a mid-size stadium and there's no plans either short or long term to expand that so I don't think it would be that big of an issue at all. Beyond that though it would be better hands down over what they have now.

As for the lacrosse/soccer comment. A. I'm sure with Northwestern's money they could find the land and build something. Maybe they build it on the site of Ryan Field. The school has an endowment of $6.3 billion and can do whatever they want to with they're money. I don't think its a huge issue for them. B. I'm sure they could also find a temporary home somewhere in the Chicagoland area. Worst case scenairo they play at Toyota Park for a couple of years. C. Its also something that's probably never going to happen so relax.

Archived