Houston Astros to American League West

Mac the Knife

I'd personally like to see the mythical lines between the AL and NL obliterated - not the leagues themselves, but with more extensive interleague play. Only in baseball has a merger of leagues occurred without them truly integrating, and it has always seemed unnecessary segregation to me.

See, I like the distinction. I like having slightly different styles of play.

Likewise. It adds to baseball's charm.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think Colorado would be the perfect candidate, but this works.

As for year-round interleague play, I'm all for it!

But, wasn't the whole point of this realignment to make each division have an even 5 teams???

Sending the Rockies to the AL West wouldn't solve that problem without having to realign another team to take the place of Colorado in the NL West (Probably either Milwaukee/Houston)

That being said, The only reasonable choice to send to the AL West was Houston for several reasons:

-It is the farthest west NL Central team.

-It allows only 1 team to move divisions.

-The MLB likely wouldn't force the Cardinals or Cubs to change divisions especially not Leagues.

-Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are farther east than Houston.

-It sets up a Texas rivalry with the Rangers(Probably the least important, and not that big of a consideration for this move)

We were proposing Colorado or Arizona to the AL West, Houston to the NL West. It balances the divisions and actually balances out both Wests: 3 pacific coast teams, 1 "mountain" team and 1 Texas team.

I understood what you were proposing, and the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I was just wondering if it was the MLB's intention all along to only move 1 team and if so, then Houston would be the most logical choice, would it not?

2043050vl19qK6.gif

This is great. The divisions can finally be even. Baseball is a real sport now :rolleyes: but I seriously dont think that the Rangers and Astros are going to develope that big of a rivalry. Houston playing Seattle, LA, Oakland and Texas brings a nice refreshment to the league.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

50 years of baseball in Houston has just been pissed on. Thanks Bud for :censored:ing over some bait team for your precious Brewers.

I am willing to bet Selig chopped Houston up so that Milwaukee has an easier chance of winning, rather than have them go back to the AL and face the Yankees/Red Sox benemoth.

How exactly does moving the worst team in the division make things easier for the Brewers, or anyone else for that matter? If anything, that makes the division more competitive from top-to-bottom. This was a simple matter of MLB being able to force a move as part of a sale rather than beg an NL team to willingly accept having to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox every year. Personally, I'd rather have seen Colorado or Arizona moved with Houston going to the NL West, but I can easily live with this.

Milwaukee does have an identity crisis. AL city, NL city, AL city, NL city... I fully expect them to be an AL city again in my lifetime :D

Nah, Milwaukee in the NL is pretty much crystallized at this point. The Brewers never had an AL rivalry that was anything close to as intense as what exists now with the Cubs and Cardinals, and we've now seen twice as many post-seasons as an NL city than an AL city.

Besides, the original Milwaukee Brewers (the Orioles) are still in the AL :D

Why is everyone so adament with the D-Backs moving to the AL West? I understand the whole pacific/ mountain/ Texas aspect behind the arguement, but in their short existance, Arizona has been a mainstay in the NL West race each and every year and have built great rivalries within the division.

DLWatt.png

Houston's the worst team in baseball. How the hell does this help the Brewers win?

Possibly long run. The Astros were a very good team from the mid '90s until 2005. They are in a big market and have a solid fanbase, selling lots of tickets for a horrible team the pat few years. Unless they get Angelos'd with their new owner, the Astros could very well be in a position to challenge for a division every year within the next 5 years or so.

And no, Bud is an imbecile and this is a wrong decision, but I don't think he did it to protect the Brewers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why is everyone so adament with the D-Backs moving to the AL West? I understand the whole pacific/ mountain/ Texas aspect behind the arguement, but in their short existance, Arizona has been a mainstay in the NL West race each and every year and have built great rivalries within the division.

I think it's just the fact that Houston has five-decades of history in the NL where Arizona has 13 years. Although FWIW, I'd rather have seen Colorado go. They'd be an easy rival for KC which, as it stands, is stuck in no-mans land with both of their natural geographic rivals (the Rocks and Cards) in the other league.

I think it's just the fact that Houston has five-decades of history in the NL where Arizona has 13 years. Although FWIW, I'd rather have seen Colorado go. They'd be an easy rival for KC which, as it stands, is stuck in no-mans land with both of their natural geographic rivals (the Rocks and Cards) in the other league.

Understandable, there is no denying the Astros history in the league, but lets face it, the D-Backs have done more in 13 years then the Astros have in their 50.

The Rockies do make the most sense, and Im surprised the league didnt jump on that one, simply beacuse of having a DH in the most hitter friendly ball park in all of baseball.

DLWatt.png

Personally, I'd have moved the Colorado Rockies to the AL West and the Houston Astros to the NL West.

With just a pair of franchises in Texas, I'd opt for maintaining one in each league and preserving the possibility of a Rangers-Astros World Series some day.

That's by far the best solution. But it makes too much sense so MLB has to rule it out.

You cant just up and move a division champ though.

Why not?

If anything, they should be removing the DH from the AL. It was a desperate gimmick from the '70s to get fans to go to AL games, and it has long since run its course.

Couldn't agree more.

BB52Big.jpg

Personally, I'd have moved the Colorado Rockies to the AL West and the Houston Astros to the NL West.

With just a pair of franchises in Texas, I'd opt for maintaining one in each league and preserving the possibility of a Rangers-Astros World Series some day.

If you have to do this, this is the best way. Let designated hitters roam free in Denver.

Except Coors has been a pitcher's park ever since they brought in the humidor.

FWIW Minute Maid Park is the perfect AL stadium and belongs in that league.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Move Colorado to the AL West, and Houston to the NL West.

Houston has more history in the National League than Colorado does. Arizona has won a world series in the NL, and they are the current NL West champs, so you shouldn't move them. As previously pointed out, this would balance both West divisions with 3 teams on the Coast, 1 Mountain time zone team, and 1 Texas team.

Hopefully they can get a nice interleague rotation going instead of situations like where the Cardinals had never played in Texas until this world series. I would propose one 3 game series against one division and one three game series against your "rival". 18 interleague games...I'd just assume get rid of the rival series and have series like Yankees/Mets be special once every three years events, but I know that won't happen.

I'm looking forward to taking MLB road trips in early June and not getting caught seeing all interleague games!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Hopefully they can get a nice interleague rotation going instead of situations like where the Cardinals had never played in Texas until this world series. I would propose one 3 game series against one division and one three game series against your "rival". 18 interleague games...I'd just assume get rid of the rival series and have series like Yankees/Mets be special once every three years events, but I know that won't happen.

I'm looking forward to taking MLB road trips in early June and not getting caught seeing all interleague games!

Cardinals played in Arlington in 2004. Texas had never played in St. Louis.

Move Colorado to the AL West, and Houston to the NL West.

Houston has more history in the National League than Colorado does. Arizona has won a world series in the NL, and they are the current NL West champs, so you shouldn't move them. As previously pointed out, this would balance both West divisions with 3 teams on the Coast, 1 Mountain time zone team, and 1 Texas team.

You can't not switch a team based on one season. What if they don't win the division next year? Or the next five? It's ridiculous to say Arizona shouldn't move because they won West THIS YEAR.

And no, Bud is an imbecile and this is a wrong decision, but I don't think he did it to protect the Brewers.

Hell, Bud tries so hard to be fair that he gave another team first crack at the NL, even though the city really wanted it.

What team was that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived