Hypothetical NFL Franchise Rebrand

Claystation360

I'm with oldschoolvikings.

This was supposed to be a rebrand for teams that could use something.

Not bringing back old looks of every team.

Clearly not every team needs a refreshing of colors, in fact most don't. I liked this thread idea.

Yeah, stick with the original question.

In the late 90's, Tampa Bay changed their colors and their logo. If you didn't follow the change and just saw some pictures, you'd have thought it was a brand new team. THAT was a rebranding. NBA teams sometimes do it. NHL teams do it a lot. In baseball, the Marlins just did.

THAT'S the question. If you heard an NFL team was doing a total rebranding... keeping only their nickname, but completely changing their logo package AND their color scheme, and cutting nearly all visual ties to their past... who would you start praying it was going to be?

My list would be pretty short... Ravens, Jags, maybe the Panthers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'd have a HUGE backlash if you tried to re-brand a team that was around before the 1976 expansion, so for history's sake, the "safest" teams to re-brand would be:

Bucs

Seahawks

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Titans

Texans

Out of these, I think the Titan's could use it the most. They've gone so out of control with uniform combos, that it could be best for them to hit the reset button and just settle down. Besides, in their division, you have three blue teams and one teal team. One team is going to have to bite the bullet and go to the other side of the color wheel. Titans seem like the best choice to do that, in my opinion. Plus, it would completely shed them of their former Oiler identity, which they retained when picking a color scheme that included light blue and red.

I think the silver helmets look "cheap" just like a silver car.

article-0-09D83876000005DC-111_634x313.jpg

It is a matter of personal opinion. When I went to buy a new car last year I thought about buying a Metallic Silver, but after further review, I decided that that color looked like a thin coat of paint put on the primer of a car.

What I did not buy:

Toyota%5CCorolla%5C2011%5C7368_cc0480_032_1F7.jpg

What I bought:

44222611.jpg

So you bought a cheap white car instead of a cheap silver car? :grin: Why'd you go white? Seems pretty boring, doesn't it? Kind of surprised you didn't buy a car with some whacked-out design on it. Maybe some ghost flames and tiger stripes, maybe some Under Armour camo. The more gaudy, the more beautiful, right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the silver helmets look "cheap" just like a silver car.

article-0-09D83876000005DC-111_634x313.jpg

It is a matter of personal opinion. When I went to buy a new car last year I thought about buying a Metallic Silver, but after further review, I decided that that color looked like a thin coat of paint put on the primer of a car.

What I did not buy:

Toyota%5CCorolla%5C2011%5C7368_cc0480_032_1F7.jpg

What I bought:

44222611.jpg

So you bought a cheap white car instead of a cheap silver car? :grin: Why'd you go white? Seems pretty boring, doesn't it? Kind of surprised you didn't buy a car with some whacked-out design on it. Maybe some ghost flames and tiger stripes, maybe some Under Armour camo. The more gaudy, the more beautiful, right?

Actually the total price of the car was $23000, but thanks to my brothers discount I got the car for $16000. White is a beautiful car that doesn't have a "cheap" look to it. Flames? No! Stripes? No! I am not a teenager and if I were these days I might have to bite a bullet.

spacer.png

Wow a lot has transpired since last night. Thank you OldschoolViking and Legend for taking back the idea and purpose of the thread. But still overall a lot of great ideas from the usual suspects, the last real rebrands were the Buccaneers and Oilers/Titans or I guess someone could make the case for the Browns/Ravens even though they are two separate "clubs".

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Teams I wouldn't mind seeing rebranded (though I don't necessarily want to see):

Texans: Burnt orange and white. Too many red and blue teams as it is. To me, Burnt orange is Texas.

Redskins: Love their colors, but let's admit it: "Redskin" is a derogatory term. Rebrand and detach yourself from bigotry.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Teams I wouldn't mind seeing rebranded (though I don't necessarily want to see):

Texans: Burnt orange and white. Too many red and blue teams as it is. To me, Burnt orange is Texas.

Redskins: Love their colors, but let's admit it: "Redskin" is a derogatory term. Rebrand and detach yourself from bigotry.

The Texans would do themselves no favours by trying to imitate the Longhorns.

The Redskins name is derogatory, yes. Yet the logo is actually a respectful image of a Native. If they went with a name like "Warriors" or "Potomacs" they could avoid having to completely re-brand. You're worried about having to many red, white and blue teams? I'm afraid that's what Washington's NFL team will become if they completely ditch the maroon and gold.

Well people if your going to rebrand the colors of the Jaguars, Ravens, Titans, Seahawks and Texans what colors would you add or subtract or would you totally reboot from the start?

The Seahawks do not need a rebrand. They just need a look that better compliments their current colors.

Icecap, I couldn't agree more. Just the whole change the Redskins 78 year old name for the sake of being PC. Yes I agree If Washington did a complete rebrand I'm sure it would be patriotic of some sorts. I also have to agree the Texans looking like UT would be very bad and disassociate team with the TT and A&M and TCU people.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

>>>>

For any of you who think the Washington Redskins are going to cave to Native American pressure, and it's just a minority of them who seem to have such an issue with nicknames, and re-brand after 77 years, I truly believe you're all in dreamland.

I also don't understand why there's a problem with North Dakota nicknamed the 'Fighting Sioux', the logo certainly isn't mocking. I've never heard about Irish people complaining about Notre Dame being known as the 'Fighting Irish' ....

I myself would hate it if my team was named the Diamondbacks after a snake ... or the 'River Rats' which IMO are both either creepy or disgusting creatures.

>>>>

For any of you who think the Washington Redskins are going to cave to Native American pressure, and it's just a minority of them who seem to have such an issue with nicknames, and re-brand after 77 years, I truly believe you're all in dreamland.

I also don't understand why there's a problem with North Dakota nicknamed the 'Fighting Sioux', the logo certainly isn't mocking. I've never heard about Irish people complaining about Notre Dame being known as the 'Fighting Irish' ....

I myself would hate it if my team was named the Diamondbacks after a snake ... or the 'River Rats' which IMO are both either creepy or disgusting creatures.

Hey... we've never had that mentioned on thse boards before!

(Here we go again...)

>>>>

Hey... we've never had that mentioned on thse boards before!

(Here we go again...)

>>>>>

I know .... but I never got involved in that topic when it was debated on here.

While some believe that nicknames attributed to Native Americans are derogatory, with many in that group having been suckered to believe in that direction, I'm in the group who look at them as honor rather than in a derogatory way. The whole issue has really gotten old.

Funny, I always thought the Bills should re brand and go with a logo reflects something like this:

125BuffaloBill.jpg

>>>>

Ha! , , good one.

Only problem is it'd make us look like the now-defunct OK-AZ Outlaws with that hat :)

Archived