NBA court redesign

RichardWitham

i hate the same old boring NBA courts they have had the last few seasons, and feel they need to liven things up. So i have been working on some. on some teams i changed the color schemes, some i've kept. i haven't done the whole league on this link yet, but i've got previous ones up on the picasa account, so feel free to check those out THE CONCEPTS

i now have descriptions of the courts on the page too. and please, as is tradition here, feel free to give C&C not" these concepts suck" either, please. and if you're more traditional with how you like NBA courts, you may or may not like these. no gurantees

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Liked:

Mavericks

Warriors (Pick one center-court logo)

Pistons

Nuggets (Lose the Mile High City script)

Lakers

Clippers

Nets

Magic

Grizzlies

Honestly this is a very good and creative idea- BUT I think that your main problem is they are all very busy. The Bulls are a perfect example of that. There is just too much going on at once, too many colors, too many logos. I say tone it down a bit and you have yourself some great concepts. But still, you managed to make some nice-looking courts.

That Grizzlies court deserves to be nationally recognized.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

fox, that gold bridge logo is suppose to be like stain like how some teams do at center court, with the logo over it. i guess paint.net didn't have it come out how i wanted.the "mile high city" thing is from a NCAA tournament i remember i think it was in the 90s, that had that on it, so i thought it'd work. thanks for your C&C. i appreciate it.

The Danimal said:

1. Some of those are way too busy e.g there's no need for 7 Bulls in the Chicago concept. Keep the alt logos inside the 3pt line to 1 on each side (bottom on 1 end and top on the other).

2. Keep your sideline logos/scripts to minimal too. Maybe decrease there size (East/West conference, arena names etc).

3. And the sideline script on the bottom is upside down (from a tv viewers perspective).

Other than that i really like the wolves court. imho you just need to fix the sideline script (maybe use there 08-09 white one so it stands out more) and get rid of the trees so the whole court is black.

I like a lot of these, but many of them are quite busy. I'm just not sure they would look good on television. Your more designs with more subtle touches are the ones I like best; those include Atlanta, Golden State, Brooklyn, and Charlotte.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Am I missing something, but a mile is 5280 feet. And you have 5130 on the Denver Court?

was a brain fart. it happens. i'll try to fix it when i get a chance

The Danimal said:

the theme of the timberwolves is a forest at night, hence the slightly lighter trees. the opposite sideline text is meant to be that way, so people on the bench side of the arena dont see a blank sideline, the scripts are there because nobody really uses them on the sideline, they're usually more on the baseline. these are meant to be diffrent, more colorful for this HD era and stuff

The Danimal said:

the theme of the timberwolves is a forest at night, hence the slightly lighter trees. the opposite sideline text is meant to be that way, so people on the bench side of the arena dont see a blank sideline, the scripts are there because nobody really uses them on the sideline, they're usually more on the baseline. these are meant to be diffrent, more colorful for this HD era and stuff

You are using their outdated wordmark, FYI.

You are using their outdated wordmark, FYI.

ok. unless they changed it this year, i didnt know that. news to me. the rest of the league is up. i have added descriptions to all courts to explain things.

EDIT: just had a thought, if someone wanted to come up with jersey ideas for this look of the NBA or something, PM me and maybe we can collaborate

The Danimal said:

I don't know why I took the time to cover all of them, but here are some suggestions on each one.

Atalanta: I don't think it needs to say "Atlanta's Home Court" on the court...that pretty redundant and unnecessary.

Boston: any change will be a bad one.

Bobcats: the logo on the baseline is too severely stretched

Bulls: Too many bulls. The white bulls look odd.

Cavs: Too many "C"s. Too much yellow.

Clippers: Every logo on this court is squished out of proportion.

Mavericks: The horse face doesn't work well mirrored like that.

Nuggets: I think the mountain would look better on top of the "mile high city" stuff.

Pistons: I like it, it could use more blue on the court.

Warriors: Stained logo is squished. I think that a blue out of bounds, with a yellow lane and nothing inside the 3pt line would look awesome.

Rockets: Not a good gold color to go with that Red. Reminds me of old Cavs too.

Pacers: Way too busy. Stretched logos look poor.

Lakers: Squished logos again.

Memphis: You misspelled "Grizzlies." And "Forest." Too many "claw" logos.

Miami: Not a fan of the gradient. Or the differing color on the ends of the court. I think it needs more black too.

Bucks: Antler design is interesting. Too dark for the court..it would be impossible to play on.

T'Wolves: Too dark again. Wolf's should probably be Wolves' since their mascot is plural.

Nets: Like the Brooklyn script. It's squished everywhere though.

New Orleans: Too many hornets, Squished logo at mid court.

Knicks: Too many Yankee logos.

OKC: Not a fan. Their arena isn't the Ford Center anymore. Too much color, although I like the simplicity of this compared to the others

Magic: Weird that the out of bounds text faces away from the court, instead of towards it.

76ers: Squished ball swirl logo

Suns: Squished logos, Too busy.

Blazers: I like everything except the different colors on the different sides.

Kings: too many crowns. Same issue with the out of bounds text as the Magic.

Spurs: Overall, well done.

Raptors: The grey is a little odd with the color of the wood.

Jazz: Pretty good. I don't like the "Jazz" on the top left.

Wizards: I don't like the white, The hands logos are squished.

they're squished because i have to get them small enough to fit on the court in the positions i want them, if not then the logo would be over the whole court. the spelling thing i apologize for, i'm disabled and sometimes i dont notice the spelling errors until after they're saved and i cant fix them. i use paint.net to make these courts. on the darkness issue, i dont think there is one really. if it was an all orange court there would be a visibility issue, because the ball is that color. if you read the captions on the concepts, which i dont know if you did, you would know the reasoning behind why it's as dark as it is.

The Danimal said:

Celts and Pistons are really the only realistic things in this set. Look, I like innovation, but it's just like a bunch of logos pasted all over the court. That just makes it too busy (a la Bulls, Pacers, etc.). Think them out a little bit more, this could go somewhere. Just take a little more time to look at the details.

they're squished because i have to get them small enough to fit on the court in the positions i want them, if not then the logo would be over the whole court. the spelling thing i apologize for, i'm disabled and sometimes i dont notice the spelling errors until after they're saved and i cant fix them. i use paint.net to make these courts. on the darkness issue, i dont think there is one really. if it was an all orange court there would be a visibility issue, because the ball is that color. if you read the captions on the concepts, which i dont know if you did, you would know the reasoning behind why it's as dark as it is.

I know why you stretched them. But that doesn't make it not an issue. Stretching a logo is always a bad idea. It hurts brand equity and looks low quality. It's something that would never be done by a professional designer, and thus would never happen by a real team.

I did read the descriptions. I saw your reasoning for why the courts are dark. But I still think there would be issues. It's just my opinion, though. The logo stretching thing is not an opinion. That's a cardinal sin of design.

Archived