MLS in the South East.

fumbler

New York Cosmos.

I think that should absolutely be the next MLS team.

The only problem is a stadium, which in NYC can take a long time. Don't see them getting much help from the city right now in building one at this time either. They're also not moving into Red Bull Arena which has turned into a financial disaster for Harrison (why you would ever agree to pay for a stadium when the location of the building looks like Berlin circa 1945 is beyond me) so it could be awhile before the Cosmos take the field as an MLS team, but I do think it will happen one day.

They would easily become the most valuable franchise in the MLS if they were to come back.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping within the parameters of the topic title...for the many folks thinking Miami in regards to another MLS team in Florida, I think one might do well to look a little further up Florida's Turnpike...to Orlando. You wanna talk about a huge Latin population? There you go. Also, right around that same area, you start to see a sizeable Haitian populatiojn as well (in addition to other places in the Caribbean region). As of right now, the Magic is Orlando's only real major team, and yes the Solar Bears are coming back, but aside from the obvious (who's gonna build an arena/where would they put it at?), I don't see why it wouldn't work there. It's also a nice central(ish) location to draw from.

Of course, I also haven't been down to Orlando in many a moon, so things might be different down there than from what I remember.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

These are all the major cities, or acceptable stadium cities in the Southeast.

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Little Rock, AR

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Do the Cosmos have actual money? The people behind the Cosmos seem like the equivalent of a celebrity group that would invest in a Arena Football team. Some known on the field field names in the soccer world, but no money to finance a team (and this case a stadium) and sustain possible losses that comes with it early on.

If MLS keeps up its NASL rewards program...then wouldnt the Railhawks or the Battery be the most likely Southern team(s)?...as someone who doesnt keep up with NASL, I'm genuinely asking. I seem to recall both of them having some pretty staunch supporters...although maybe not ideal ownership scenarios.

Cards on the table, count me among those that dont think MLS would be wise to expand southeast until a great owner/fanbase steps up.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Little Rock, AR NEEDS MULTIPLE STRIKETHROUGHS

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

What was he thinking, oh the state capital of Maryland, that must be able to support a team...... Only 40,000 people live in Annapolis, the Seattle Sounders nearly get that many for home games!

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

Surprised Tampa wasnt on the original list. Nashville could be a sleeper, as I think Team USA's played there a lot lately.

Do the Cosmos have actual money? The people behind the Cosmos seem like the equivalent of a celebrity group that would invest in a Arena Football team. Some known on the field field names in the soccer world, but no money to finance a team (and this case a stadium) and sustain possible losses that comes with it early on.

The biggest value the Cosmos have right now is the name and they do have a traveling team. But they also have no stadium and no league to play in, and if they're waiting for somebody to build them a stadium as I think they are, its going to be a long wait.

I think eventually it will get done, but its going to take alot longer then it probably should.

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

Surprised Tampa wasnt on the original list. Nashville could be a sleeper, as I think Team USA's played there a lot lately.

Based on what was said, I went a little over the top. Here's an updated list.

Charlotte, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL(I still think they could support a team.)

Nashville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Orlando, FL

Tampa Bay Area, FL

Baltimore, MD

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

In his 2011 "State of the League" address, MLS Commissioner Don Garber spoke to where expansion efforts and discussions currently stand.

* The New York Cosmos group was considered something of a front-runner for the so-called "NY2" franchise. However, following the change in leadership when Paul Kemsley sold his shares in the Cosmos and stepped down as their owner and CEO, the league is now more focused on stadium siting and construction issues in the New York market. To that end, MLS has hired a full-time staffer - as well as attorneys, land-use advisers, stadium designers and architects - to explore the viability of stadium sites in the New York area.

As for owners in New York, Garber said, "People in New York know that there are several potential ownership groups and, until we're further along in the process, we're going to speak to as many people as we can because that's the best way to ensure that we get an ownership group that will have resources and be able to make the commitments to be good partners in Major League Soccer."

A potential New York ownership group comprised of Saudi Arabian investors - Sela Sport - will meet with Garber at MLS Cup. Discussions with the Wilpon family have been "put on the backburner".

* Garber met with an ownership group from Florida on Thursday, November 10th. Officials with USL Pro champions Orlando City SC have since stated that they were the Florida-based group that met with Garber and that their plan is to obtain an MLS franchise for Orlando.

* Garber has also confirmed that their continues to be interest in obtaining an MLS franchise from groups in Las Vegas and Detroit.

* Garber spoke to the fact that MLS officials had "noticed the success of former NASL and USL sides when transitioning to MLS".

According to Major League Soccer's website, the sum total of these developments is that "... while MLS is certainly focused on adding a second team in the New York area, it will not shut the door on other markets that express legitimate interest and have the financial backing in place to support a team."

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Atlanta, GA

Birmingham, AL

Columbia, SC

Charleston, SC

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Jacksonville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Orlando, FL

Louisville, KY

Lexington, KY

New Orleans, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Charleston, WV

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD.

I'm sorry--but I HAD to re-quote that one. Almost sprayed my keyboard with lemonade seeing that. And as one who's been through every part of Arkansas, especially recently, I wholeheartedly agree with that one. LOL

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

According to Major League Soccer's website, the sum total of these developments is that "... while MLS is certainly focused on adding a second team in the New York area, it will not shut the door on other markets that express legitimate interest and have the financial backing in place to support a team."

Of course they won't. It's in their interest to keep as many cities as possible in the hunt.

That being said, a New York team is needed.

Which metro area is Cary, NC? Raleigh or Charlotte? They have hosted the College Cup a couple times I think and the USMNT has trained there multiple times. That area seems to have a good base for soccer. I would vote for them myself. Tampa ahead of Miami as I said in the Domestic soccer thread.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Which metro area is Cary, NC? Raleigh or Charlotte? They have hosted the College Cup a couple times I think and the USMNT has trained there multiple times. That area seems to have a good base for soccer. I would vote for them myself. Tampa ahead of Miami as I said in the Domestic soccer thread.

Just outside of Raleigh, about two miles away from the RBC Center

Outside of the Florida cities, I honestly don't think the MLS needs the southeast nor does the southeast want MLS. How many more pro leagues are gonna try to shoehorn franchises into a part of the country that proves time and again the only "sports" they care about are college football, NASCAR and rasslin?

Watch your mouth (fingers), Nick. :evil:

:P

Outside of the Florida cities, I honestly don't think the MLS needs the southeast nor does the southeast want MLS. How many more pro leagues are gonna try to shoehorn franchises into a part of the country that proves time and again the only "sports" they care about are college football, NASCAR and rasslin?

I actually pretty well agree with you here (without the gratuitous shots at the South). Theres really not one market in the South or anywhere else that screams WE NEED A SOCCER TEAM! to me right now. New York City should get one I think, but I would rather it not be the Cosmos, but thats just me. Thats about it. Does anyone else see Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis (or Atlanta or Miami for that matter) being "cant miss" soccer markets? I think MLS is fine the way it is right now.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm sorry--but I HAD to re-quote that one. Almost sprayed my keyboard with lemonade seeing that. And as one who's been through every part of Arkansas, especially recently, I wholeheartedly agree with that one. LOL

You know, if you wait a decade or two, Northwest Arkansas might not be a completely horrifying idea down the road. But obviously not right now, true and that is the only part of the state where you might make the MLS work.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived