MLS in the South East.

fumbler

Outside of the Florida cities, I honestly don't think the MLS needs the southeast nor does the southeast want MLS. How many more pro leagues are gonna try to shoehorn franchises into a part of the country that proves time and again the only "sports" they care about are college football, NASCAR and rasslin?

I actually pretty well agree with you here (without the gratuitous shots at the South). Theres really not one market in the South or anywhere else that screams WE NEED A SOCCER TEAM! to me right now. New York City should get one I think, but I would rather it not be the Cosmos, but thats just me. Thats about it. Does anyone else see Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis (or Atlanta or Miami for that matter) being "cant miss" soccer markets? I think MLS is fine the way it is right now.

Bingo, and this is coming from a pretty big soccer fan in ATL. The minor-league Silverbacks are probably gonna be as good as soccer gets in this town (outside of international teams & clubs coming over to play friendlies), and I'm cool with that. I'm pretty sure that the same goes for the rest of the south in that regard.

I do disagree as far as the Cosmos are concerned. If that team comes back, it's basically a license to print money for the league. The Cosmos are STILL the most recognized club in US history and they haven't existed in a league for 3 decades. I would absolutely love to see the Cosmos return to top-flight US soccer.

P.S.: NASCAR & rasslin jokes were played out in 1982. Stop it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I'm not fawning over the idea of the Cosmos coming back is because of the reality of who runs it now. According to this article they are being sued for defaulting on payments for a Youth Academy. Yes the name commands international attention, but if the situation around New York is as bad as this article says, it cant be a good thing.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Point taken, but serious question... what other sports has the south, as an entire region, truly embraced? The bolded part are the key words. I don't mean things like womens hoops, which might be popular in Knoxville and some parts of North Carolina, but nowhere else. I mean things that are popular throughout the south the way college football and NASCAR are.

Point taken, but serious question... what other sports has the south, as an entire region, truly embraced? The bolded part are the key words. I don't mean things like womens hoops, which might be popular in Knoxville and some parts of North Carolina, but nowhere else. I mean things that are popular throughout the south the way college football and NASCAR are.

I think the NFL is starting to make some inroads, but that's about it.

I'd like too see the next team that enters the MLS name thier team along the lines of the past few likr Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, ie not European names like Sporting Kansas, Real Salt Lake.

Some of my ideas.

Miami Keys.

Orlando Glades.

Tampa Baysiders.

You get the idea

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

San Diego is right on the border and only has an MLB team, so it fits the mold perfectly.

you know something we don't know?

4292-I-I-Screwed-Up_lg.jpg

~~~~

New York Cosmos.

MLS has never had a New York team, and this market is dying to be tapped.

In their short existence, the Cosmos have done more to promote the sport in New York than the MetroStars/Red Bulls ever have. They've always been a New Jersey team with no real interest in the city, leaving a very large hole for the Cosmos to fill.

Apparently, the New York Cosmos have been refounded with the intent of being accepted into MLS. I whole heartedly support it. The only reason why most Americans have heard of Pele or Beckenbauer is because of the Cosmos, and having a new Cosmos would give the league much more credibility nationally and internationally.

spacer.png

I'd like too see the next team that enters the MLS name thier team along the lines of the past few likr Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, ie not European names like Sporting Kansas, Real Salt Lake.

Some of my ideas.

Miami Keys.

Orlando Glades.

Tampa Baysiders.

You get the idea

At the risk of turning this into a Euro vs American naming convention debate, I actually dont mind the Euro names in limited doses and where it fits. Real Salt Lake, ehh, I can deal with. I actually like Sporting Kansas City. DC United is good even though they never "United" with another team (and if they move to Baltimore they must be named the Baltimore Wanderers). FC Dallas, Toronto FC, all good to me. But at the same point, the Timbers, Sounders, Whitecaps all have some history behind them from the NASL and have connection to the fans, which makes them extremely appropriate.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Some of my ideas.

Miami Keys.

Orlando Glades.

Tampa Baysiders.

You get the idea

Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps are all named in tribute to old NASL clubs and had minor league teams using those names between the NASL and MLS eras. This is the case right now with the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, which would likely be "promoted" to MLS in the same manner as the other clubs you named.

FC Tampa Bay is a unique case because they didn't actually choose that name to sound European, but rather to skirt trademark issues related to using the old Tampa Bay Rowdies identity. Calling them FC Tampa Bay while wearing kits based on the old Rowdies look allows the fans to call them the Rowdies without having to worry about lawyers getting involved. All this goes to say if the ownership of a Tampa Bay MLS club can't get the rights to the Rowdies name, expect them to go by FC Tampa Bay as well.

Some of my ideas.

Miami Keys.

Orlando Glades.

Tampa Baysiders.

You get the idea

FC Tampa Bay is a unique case because they didn't actually choose that name to sound European, but rather to skirt trademark issues related to using the old Tampa Bay Rowdies identity. Calling them FC Tampa Bay while wearing kits based on the old Rowdies look allows the fans to call them the Rowdies without having to worry about lawyers getting involved. All this goes to say if the ownership of a Tampa Bay MLS club can't get the rights to the Rowdies name, expect them to go by FC Tampa Bay as well.

FCTB was actually referred to as the Tampa Bay Rowdies for a few months until the trademark lawyers swooped in like hawks and provided a cease and desist letter.

Not all "United"s got their name from a merger.

West Ham United, for example. Or that obscure little club up in Manchester. :P

United also leans towards said clubs Town, City, Village as being United behind the Club that is why United is after the Clubs name.ie Newcastle United.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Also Sheffield United, Hartlepool United and Leeds United, are 3 of quite a few English 'Uniteds' who cannot trace their history back to a merger between 2 distinct teams. I think the main reason football clubs use 'United' in their name is to come across as a community club, i.e. we are united together as supporters of the particular club.

United also leans towards said clubs Town, City, Village as being United behind the Club that is why United is after the Clubs name.ie Newcastle United.

FYI Newcastle United actually is the result of a merger, between Newcastle West End and Newcastle East End :)

Yeah, that's one of the few examples of a "United" arising from a merger.

In those other cases, the name was chosen because it sounded like a professional football side. Just like DC.

Indeed, and I happen to like it even though it is "Euro".

FYI Newcastle United actually is the result of a merger, between Newcastle West End and Newcastle East End :)

I only used Newcastle as an exmple to the post i made which you reposted.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Yeah, that's one of the few examples of a "United" arising from a merger.

In those other cases, the name was chosen because it sounded like a professional football side. Just like DC.

Indeed, and I happen to like it even though it is "Euro".

And it works for a team representing DC, capital of the Union.

If MLS keeps up its NASL rewards program...then wouldnt the Railhawks or the Battery be the most likely Southern team(s)?...as someone who doesnt keep up with NASL, I'm genuinely asking. I seem to recall both of them having some pretty staunch supporters...although maybe not ideal ownership scenarios.

I think the smartest thing for MLS to do is "promote" the well supported NASL teams.

It's proven to work so far and assuming there are investors to throw the money at the stadium upgrades and expansion fees, they already have the knowledge that these markets are interested in soccer.

All this talk about a second New York team seemed to really heat up the second Red Bull arena was done. Why didn't they just work with Red Bull to get a stadium in New York proper? If I was Red Bull i'd be pissed, the second they solved their stadium issue the league was like "alright now we need a REAL New York team."

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Red Bull was never a real New York team. Unlike the other teams playing in New Jersey under our name, they never had any discernible interest in building a fanbase in the city.

They wanted to be a Jersey suburban team, and that's exactly what they got. Now it is time for a New York team.

Red Bull was never a real New York team. Unlike the other teams playing in New Jersey under our name, they never had any discernible interest in building a fanbase in the city.

They wanted to be a Jersey suburban team, and that's exactly what they got. Now it is time for a New York team.

I understand that.

I'm just saying MLS could have solved this problem of not being in the city by working with Red Bull.

Frankly, I'm not confidant that Red Bull will last in NJ if there is a team in New York proper. They don't draw well even with the big names they have on their roster

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived