Urban Meyer to coach Buckeyes?

TBGKon

Waaaa, I had to pay for college. Waaaa, I had student loans. Waaaa, I had to work a job.

Guess what - your performance didn't help generate 10s of millions of dollars for your school. Your bio professor wasn't making $5m/year due off of your performance. The thought of paying these guys doesn't sit right with me either (mostly because I had to pay for college, I had tons of loans which set my life back by years, and I had to work multiple jobs) but the economics of the situation are different now than they were in the '40s, '50s, '60s, etc. It ain't right to be scrounging to buy a candy bar before practice and watch as your coach rolls up in his Ferrari that you helped get for him. In no other walk of life would that be acceptable. The free education certainly cannot be devalued, but what these guys earn for their schools (at some schools, at least) far outweighs the value of that education.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just let the kids get money from boosters, runners, rogue agents, or whatevers...no money out of the schools' coffers and no mindless NCAA integrity of the "student athlete" fist pounding. There, problem solved. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Meyer may earn the highest salary in college sports. How does that help the fact that the labor is still not compensated?

The only thing that will help the fact that labor isn't compensated will be to compensate the labor; something that I am all for.

The labor's getting compensated quite well, don't you think?

I'd had loved to have no student debt and free job training (not to mention all the other perks a student-athlete gets) when I was 22.

The only way I can support "paying the college players" is if they don't see a cent of that money until their college eligibility has been expired/relinquished.

I had to work through college. Otherwise, I would have never had enough money to drink and chase women. I'm not saying that they should be paid like pros. All I'm saying is giving them a few bucks a week so they can live like every other student wouldn't hurt a thing.

If you were good at it, you wouldn't have needed money for that B)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Pay them the same as any other student employee. After all, that's what they are. Pay the minimum wage for games and scheduled practices. That's it.

If they "work" 20 hours a week, then pay them for 20 hours a week.

$7.25/hour x 20 hours a week= $145 per week. With no education expenses, that should be enough.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Pay them the same as any other student employee. After all, that's what they are. Pay the minimum wage for games and scheduled practices. That's it.

$7.25/hour x 20 hours a week= $145 per week. With no education expenses, that should be enough.

You gotta keep in mind that most other students (unlike most of the athletes) are not getting free college while making that minimum wage.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Meyer may earn the highest salary in college sports. How does that help the fact that the labor is still not compensated?

The only thing that will help the fact that labor isn't compensated will be to compensate the labor; something that I am all for.

The labor's getting compensated quite well, don't you think?

I'd had loved to have no student debt and free job training (not to mention all the other perks a student-athlete gets) when I was 22.

The only way I can support "paying the college players" is if they don't see a cent of that money until their college eligibility has been expired/relinquished.

I had to work through college. Otherwise, I would have never had enough money to drink and chase women. I'm not saying that they should be paid like pros. All I'm saying is giving them a few bucks a week so they can live like every other student wouldn't hurt a thing.

If you were good at it, you wouldn't have needed money for that B)

The money was for drinking. B)

BB52Big.jpg

NCAA athletes aren't like the rest of us, and therefore have a different set of rules. As BBTV says, they produce revenue, while the best most of us can do is show up, get a degree and maybe send a $100 donation once every couple of years.

The expectations of big-time basketball and football athletes are far different than everyone else, and the compensation should be too. Especially when those expectations make it such that a traditional academic experience is basically impossible. How good would your grades have been if you had to attend practice every morning, and cross the country every other week for games?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NCAA athletes aren't like the rest of us, and therefore have a different set of rules. As BBTV says, they produce revenue, while the best most of us can do is show up, get a degree and maybe send a $100 donation once every couple of years.

Doesn't the free college offset the revenue generated whereas the average student gives revenue to the school to be there?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The expectations of big-time basketball and football athletes are far different than everyone else, and the compensation should be too. Especially when those expectations make it such that a traditional academic experience is basically impossible. How good would your grades have been if you had to attend practice every morning, and cross the country every other week for games?

You pay one or two sports, you're gonna have to pay 'em all.

Doesn't the free college offset the revenue generated whereas the average student gives revenue to the school to be there?

I'm sure what I'm about to say is relevant to this, I'm just not sure how. Athletes are hardly the only students who get scholarships. The point I guess is that the kid who's at Ohio State on an academic scholarship is allowed to earn as much money as he/she wants without concern of how it effects the scholarship.

Besides, Ohio State football brings in about 9 gazillion dollars a season. So no, the 100,000 dollar 4 year scholarship doesn't even come close to offsetting the revenue generated by the players.

BB52Big.jpg

That's assuming we're not all pretending that college basketball and football are a gazillion times more important than all other collegiate sports combined. I'm simply saying we stop pretending, get rid of the lame "student-athlete" designation, and treat the athletes who makes millions like the revenue-producing stars they are. They're courted like superstarts and given tons of free Nike/Adidas/Under Armour gear anyway, so why not go all the way?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

You gotta keep in mind that most other students (unlike most of the athletes) are not getting free college while making that minimum wage.

So basically, jealousy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's assuming we're not all pretending that college basketball and football are a gazillion times more important than all other collegiate sports combined. I'm simply saying we stop pretending, get rid of the lame "student-athlete" designation, and treat the athletes who makes millions like the revenue-producing stars they are. They're courted like superstarts and given tons of free Nike/Adidas/Under Armour gear anyway, so why not go all the way?

But it's such a comfy rhetorical hammock to just say "well, shucks, I'd LOVE to pay the football players who bring in millions of dollars a year and aren't allowed to see a dime, but, why, then we'd have to pay division III women's badminton, and, well, that's just plumb crazy." I like that hammock. People bring me lemonade when I lie in it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like how we can be totally and completely shocked when there are point-shaving scandals, memorabilia for tattoo scandals, pedophilia scandals and some guy buying Reggie Bush's mom a house scandals, yet still hold on with every bit of our being that college sports are somehow more pure than the pros and the players are in it for an education and an opportunity.

Call the basketball and football players university employees, pay them a fair wage, and be done with it.

One could argue that if you pay the football and basketball teams, then you have to pay all the other athletes. However, basketball and football fund and pay for the stadiums, equipment, maintenance, and scholarships that the other sports receive.

So at the same time, one could say hey, football and basketball is already paying you, because foot/basket-ball is the reason you can even have a team and travel to other schools, and have equipment, etc. to being with. I'm sure some lawyer or high rank within a conference or school can justify paying football and basketball players, but not any other sports. Or I'm sure someone can put together a step/progressive style method for paying the athletes determined by how much "University Lacrosse" memorabilia sells compared to "University Football/Basketball" memorabilia... or, at the very least, look, we pack 50-100 thousand people every home football game, and another 10-20 thousand every home basketball game. Your lacrosse game bring in a whopping 200 people per home game.

The real issue for pay-to-play is the Mid Major conferences and how the wage rates would be determined. Toledo is a D-1 school, but they let all persons with an active Toledo I.D. in to any home game, for any sports, for free. I graduated a year ago December, but my student ID is valid until 2015. For the next 3 years, I can get into any Toledo athletic event free. That's not a problem that the big schools have. Students will easily pay $60 to make it into the Horseshoe or the Big House on Saturday afternoon. So should there be a wage rate based on your conference? The D-2 conference make minimum wage, Mid Majors make $1 more per hour, major conferences can make $4-$5 more per hour?

Anyway, back on topic. I'm sure money can cure just about any "illness" Urban was feeling when he left Florida. I don't think Ohio State would have much of a problem dishing out a large check for a 2 Time BCS Champ (look at what they paid Tressle, and he only had 1 'Ship). I'm sure a free education for his kids would be somewhere in the contract as well.

Now, I'm not one of those people who pretends to have "sources" nor do I like to present long convoluted lists of "a guy my cousin works with's, sister-in-law's, step daughter's fiance know Meyer's brother's, kid's 8th grade teacher." But I have talked to a family friend that works with "someone" in Urban Meyer's family, and he said that it may not be the 2012 season, but Urban WILL coach the Buckeyes in the future. SO take it for what it is: hear-say.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm sure Urban can't wait to put up with this fanbase:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2011/11/20/at_osu_urban_meyer_looms_over.html

Saturday was a little different though. Still in the back, he (Fickell) was joined by his wife, Amy, and their four young kids. With his left hand he reached down and held the hand of one of his little twin boys. His older son was crying.

Fickell wrapped his right arm around senior running back Boom Herron. As they waited for the song to begin, a guy in a red OSU sweatshirt leaned over the front rail of the stands some 50 feet away and hollered:

?Embarassing?.#%@&-ing embarassing?You?re done! Done!!?

He was yelling in Fickell?s direction and, as out of place as his outburst was, he was probably right.

I like how we can be totally and completely shocked when there are point-shaving scandals, memorabilia for tattoo scandals, pedophilia scandals and some guy buying Reggie Bush's mom a house scandals, yet still hold on with every bit of our being that college sports are somehow more pure than the pros and the players are in it for an education and an opportunity.

Call the basketball and football players university employees, pay them a fair wage, and be done with it.

Title IX, folks. Title IX.

I'm sure Urban can't wait to put up with this fanbase:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2011/11/20/at_osu_urban_meyer_looms_over.html

Saturday was a little different though. Still in the back, he (Fickell) was joined by his wife, Amy, and their four young kids. With his left hand he reached down and held the hand of one of his little twin boys. His older son was crying.

Fickell wrapped his right arm around senior running back Boom Herron. As they waited for the song to begin, a guy in a red OSU sweatshirt leaned over the front rail of the stands some 50 feet away and hollered:

?Embarassing?.#%@&-ing embarassing?You?re done! Done!!?

He was yelling in Fickell?s direction and, as out of place as his outburst was, he was probably right.

lol. Same as any other school in major college football. Urban would be treated as a god in Columbus. He would have to have about 5 seasons of 4 wins or less and not beat Michigan once for Columbus to turn on him.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived