wildwing64's NHL

wildwing64

Wow, crazy how the mind works sometimes...

Until I read the description I had no idea you used a darker red. My eyes saw the dark red as black and the white as vintage. I like how you replicated the Pre-Edge jerseys (easily the best in franchise history) and I think the shoulder logo is fine. The dark red just seems unnecessary especially when it's so close to black.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The darker red does look good for the Flames--but the horsehead--even though you've added a mane--I still don't like it.

It still looks like flaming snot...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while, I know. I haven't abandoned this project, but I just haven't had as much time as I'd like to update it so it's been on the back burner for the last few months. Anyway, without further ado:

#5: Boston Bruins

The Bruins are the only Original Six team I can name that have never been truly happy with the way their jerseys have looked. They went from brown and gold, to white, gold and brown, then replaced brown with black, and then they kept tweaking their uniform every so often, and never stuck with their uniform designs for much longer than 10 or 12 years. Once the Reebok Edge uniform system came in, the Bruins used the opportunity to change themselves up one more time, and they've never looked better. If I were a fan of the team, I'd be happy if they never changed their home and road jerseys again.

The only one I don't like? That alternate. It's not a horrible design in itself, but it's very unlike the Bruins in that they've played it safe. To me the Bruins are big and bold, and this jersey is very much the opposite of the feel of their brand. The alternate logo on the front is cool, but why must the jersey be all black with only the exact same sleeve stripes as the home uniform? Their home and road uniforms are perfect, and they've got a great gold colour that's going to waste. All they needed was a gold version of their regular uniforms and they would have a truly fantastic looking set.

BruinsTweak.png

No changes to the home and road uniforms whatsoever, and no new logo designs either: as I said above they already got those right. I've put the alternate logo on the front as that is a great, modern take on the team's earliest logo designs. I didn't reuse the Winter Classic template as, in real life, that would come across as cheap and lazy, that and I vaguely recall it being unpopular.

I'll admit, this isn't my most original one, but I'll be back next time with an actual rebrand, this time of the Los Angeles Kings.

Until then, any comments, positive or negative, are welcome and appreciated.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Bruins look great. However, have you tried making the inside of the alt white instead of yellow? It would much better IMO.

I actually have, but I wanted to see what others thought of the yellow stripe in the middle first. I kinda like it but part of me thinks there's something slightly off about it at the same time. Maybe I'll post an update this weekend.

mTBXgML.png

#6: Los Angeles Kings

The Kings are one of those teams who just can't make their minds up. They started off with Lakers colours, then adapted Raiders black and silver the moment Gretzky was traded to them, then added purple back into the mix, and now they're black and silver again. With a black and purple third and a throwback purple and yellow jersey also thrown in, they're pretty much lugging their history around with them. That's not a bad thing in itself, but there are some flawed parts of their identity that they still haven't fixed.

I was a little sad to see the Kings shove purple to the side in favour of going full-on black and silver. I understand why they did it, as a way to remind fans of the days when the Great One showed the city of Los Angeles what he could do by taking the Kings to the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. The team sort of still has purple around, and I'm not completely sure how much of the fanbase likes or dislikes purple being a part of the Kings colour scheme, so for my rebrand I opted to use it as an accent colour along with silver instead of having it a full-blown secondary colour, keeping the feel of the Gretzky era while still looking a bit more colourful.

The one thing I wanted to fix the most? That crown logo. For the most part it's well contructed, but at the same time it's a bit of a mess. And then there's that that goofy looking pair of eyes that I just cannot unsee (Chances are you won't be able to unsee them either after clicking that link :P). I redesigned the crown, removing the "eyes" and the clutter in favour of some elements borrowed from the Los Angeles County seal. I've also reworked the Gretzky-era logo as a secondary mark.

KingsRedesign.png

The home and road jerseys are quite simple, but with the Kings third I've been wanting to try something that was a bit more out there. Partially inspired by the Hurricanes' storm flag striping as well as the city of Los Angeles being pretty much the epicentre of the film industry, I went for a striping design based on a filmstrip. I'm sure some of you will find it cheesy but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

mTBXgML.png

I like all the sets, the logo is much better.

The only thing that I'd say about the third is that because the collar, hem stripes and cuff all have much purple in them, that the arm stripes without purple looked a bit out of place.

So maybe ditch the purple cuffs and add purple in some way to the arm stripes

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Gah, now I can't unsee the face either! :P

I love the jerseys. The touch of purple looks great and I love the striping on the third jersey. However, I can't stand when EDGE jerseys have that half a--ed waist trim - either use traditional waist stripes or none at all. For the logo, I get what yoiu were trying to do, but you ended up making a more obvious face, this time an angry one. The rest of the crown is fine, but it's that part I just don't like.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I’ll take some time to comment on these I suppose.

Ducks: I love this. It’s really the best way to work out their current color situation. I never really liked the orange and gold together but I think you make it work here. Also, I like the great use of the ‘D’ logo on the third jersey, that’s really sharp lookin’!

Lightning: The updated logo is really good looking. The black and subtle use of silver really makes that boring all blue logo work. I’m a big fan of bringing back the black for the home uniforms and the blue third makes perfect use of that alternate logo. The only thing is that it appears that the black inside the logo is darker than the black on the uniforms. I don’t know if that was intentional or not, but it sorta throws it off for me.

Stars: Good to see that you’ve brought back the primary logo on the front instead of that putrid “Dallas” that currently gives the team the honor of being named, IMO, “The Worst NHL Identity of the 21st Century” :P But in all seriousness, what you’ve done here is really nice. It’s simple, clean, and it really makes what I think to be a weak logo, work. The alternate logo is a good idea but I think it doesn’t really work for a couple of reasons. 1) The colors are different than that of the actual state flag of Texas. And 2) Since Dallas’ current star logo is slanted, slanting that portion of the flags kinda throws it off for me. However I do like that update that features that logo. The jersey template is nice for a logo that doesn’t have letters in it like the Stars’ does.

Flames: The Flames have always been a tough team to do a concept for, in my opinion, and yours looks good but it still features the problem that I have with the flames: the fact that they use three different colored ‘C’ logos. The Blues sorta have the same problem. The Red Wings and Maple Leafs get away with it however because their second “colored” logo is white, to be featured on the primary colored home jersey. All that being said, I’ve always disliked the Flames’ black ‘C’ logo and I like that you went with a darker shade of red. But the thing is, it’s not used as much on the away uniform .The jersey template is great though, and I like that you switched out the black logo. It’s just that you have a Blues-esque problem. Which is why I like the Blues’ old uniforms the best, where they just featured one shade of blue, the blue on the logo matched that of the jersey and everything looked great. I’ve always wished that the Flames would just stick their primary red ‘C’ logo on their home uniforms. I think a strong enough outline would be enough make the logo work on a same-colored jersey. But I’ll end my rant there. Onto the secondary logo: it’s better than the old “fire-horse” or whatever you want to call it, but it really didn’t work the first time and I don’t think it works now either. I actually think the flames that are coming out of the nose are the biggest issue. If you took that away and then found another way to add another flame aspect so that it further reflects the team name, I think you could potentially have a pretty decent looking logo.

Bruins: I pretty much agree with all that you said in that post. The Bruins are an Original Six team, so fans would argue that changing their basic identity would be a crime against humanity. Personally, if the Bruins switched up their look a tad, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me, which is why I really like that third uniform.

Kings: I think you simplified the logo too much on this one. The crown just looks bare to me. The jersey template isn’t bad, I’d swap the white and purple on the home and the black and purple on the road (I’m a big fan of purple, especially in sports where it’s not used that much). Again, you do have a good idea for the third uniform but it’s not executed as well as it could be. A way in which I think it would work a lot better would be to get rid of the purple altogether. I know I said I was a fan of the Kings using purple, but hey, it’s an alternate uniform. Alternate uniforms aren’t meant to be worn all the time and they’re supposed to be a bit different than the home and away. I would use just black, silver, and white and I think it would look a lot better.

Good series so far. And because I feel like it and it’s my new thing for series’ ^_^ , I’m gonna rank your first six concepts by my personal likings:

1. Ducks

2. Lightning

3. Stars

4. Bruins

5. Flames

6. Kings

Hope my feedback was of assistance! It’s a good series, I can tell you’re taking your time with these, unlike those who we shall not speak of at the present time.

I really like what you did with LA, especially updating the crown logo. I also like bringing back the Gretzky-era shield. The jerseys are classy as well, and I like the film strip striping. The only thing that I would change would be to include some more purple into the third jersey. Other than that, great work!

spacer.png

Ducks: I love this. It’s really the best way to work out their current color situation. I never really liked the orange and gold together but I think you make it work here. Also, I like the great use of the ‘D’ logo on the third jersey, that’s really sharp lookin’!

Why thank you :D

Lightning: The updated logo is really good looking. The black and subtle use of silver really makes that boring all blue logo work. I’m a big fan of bringing back the black for the home uniforms and the blue third makes perfect use of that alternate logo. The only thing is that it appears that the black inside the logo is darker than the black on the uniforms. I don’t know if that was intentional or not, but it sorta throws it off for me.

That wasn't intentional. The black on the uniforms was already like that on HJC's uniform templates, so I just rolled with it. I did attempt to make the blacks match, but the colours on my laptop screen are a little on the dim side. At the time I felt it was close enough, but let's just call it the embroidery for now ;)

Stars: Good to see that you’ve brought back the primary logo on the front instead of that putrid “Dallas” that currently gives the team the honor of being named, IMO, “The Worst NHL Identity of the 21st Century” :P But in all seriousness, what you’ve done here is really nice. It’s simple, clean, and it really makes what I think to be a weak logo, work. The alternate logo is a good idea but I think it doesn’t really work for a couple of reasons. 1) The colors are different than that of the actual state flag of Texas. And 2) Since Dallas’ current star logo is slanted, slanting that portion of the flags kinda throws it off for me. However I do like that update that features that logo. The jersey template is nice for a logo that doesn’t have letters in it like the Stars’ does.

Thing is if I had that logo in the actual flag colours, it'd make the team's identity a mess on par with Calgary and their flag shoulder patches. I wanted to slant the flag design so it matches the slant of the star, to keep everything consistent with the team's identity.

Flames: The Flames have always been a tough team to do a concept for, in my opinion, and yours looks good but it still features the problem that I have with the flames: the fact that they use three different colored ‘C’ logos. The Blues sorta have the same problem. The Red Wings and Maple Leafs get away with it however because their second “colored” logo is white, to be featured on the primary colored home jersey. All that being said, I’ve always disliked the Flames’ black ‘C’ logo and I like that you went with a darker shade of red. But the thing is, it’s not used as much on the away uniform .The jersey template is great though, and I like that you switched out the black logo. It’s just that you have a Blues-esque problem. Which is why I like the Blues’ old uniforms the best, where they just featured one shade of blue, the blue on the logo matched that of the jersey and everything looked great. I’ve always wished that the Flames would just stick their primary red ‘C’ logo on their home uniforms. I think a strong enough outline would be enough make the logo work on a same-colored jersey. But I’ll end my rant there. Onto the secondary logo: it’s better than the old “fire-horse” or whatever you want to call it, but it really didn’t work the first time and I don’t think it works now either. I actually think the flames that are coming out of the nose are the biggest issue. If you took that away and then found another way to add another flame aspect so that it further reflects the team name, I think you could potentially have a pretty decent looking logo.

1) That's actually a very good point. The Flyers have always gotten away with having the black winged P on the black jersey because the logo has that thick white outline that stops it from blending in too much. As far as the differently coloured C's go, that's just something the Flames franchise has been doing from day 1. I guess the organisation and the fans don't really know any different, but would making the logo the same colour all around really be something that they would want to see?

2) The Flame was actually the one part I had the most trouble with. Perhaps I'm just not good at drawing them :P Maybe I'll come back to this later and just give him a big fiery mane for a background instead.

Bruins: I pretty much agree with all that you said in that post. The Bruins are an Original Six team, so fans would argue that changing their basic identity would be a crime against humanity. Personally, if the Bruins switched up their look a tad, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me, which is why I really like that third uniform.

As much as it was just a simple recolour of their existing template, thanks anyway!

Kings: I think you simplified the logo too much on this one. The crown just looks bare to me. The jersey template isn’t bad, I’d swap the white and purple on the home and the black and purple on the road (I’m a big fan of purple, especially in sports where it’s not used that much). Again, you do have a good idea for the third uniform but it’s not executed as well as it could be. A way in which I think it would work a lot better would be to get rid of the purple altogether. I know I said I was a fan of the Kings using purple, but hey, it’s an alternate uniform. Alternate uniforms aren’t meant to be worn all the time and they’re supposed to be a bit different than the home and away. I would use just black, silver, and white and I think it would look a lot better.

I loved how the Kings looked in black and purple, but I kept the purple to a minimum as I get the feeling that Kings fans don't want all that much if any in their primary uniforms, maybe that's to do with that colour scheme being associated with a mediocre era of the franchise's history, but I don't know. I kept it around as an accent colour as it still feels like it's "their" colour to me and they don't feel right without it. (That and a Ducks-Kings matchup is quite dull uniform wise without the Kings featuring purple in their uniforms. Orange and Gold VS Purple and Silver all the way :D) That said I'll probably remove it from the alternate uniform as, now that I look at it properly, it doesn't work.

Again with the logo, I wanted to keep purple to a minimum to appeal to the fan base. I could attempt to add some more bits of purple but I don't think I've left much room for more detail here.

Also with your ranking, are you saying that I've been getting progressively worse? :P

mTBXgML.png

Archived