wildwing64's NHL

wildwing64

Big fan of the Home and Away jerseys. The new logo you created is a huge improvement. That being said the alternate has a glaring flaw that I can't overlook... It's a primarily Black logo on a primarily black jersey.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big fan of the Home and Away jerseys. The new logo you created is a huge improvement. That being said the alternate has a glaring flaw that I can't overlook... It's a primarily Black logo on a primarily black jersey.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Kings seem to be getting away with it on their current home uniform, but to each their own.

Update time. Added some more detail to the crown, made purple more prominent on the home jersey and removed it completely from the third.

KingsRedesignV2.png

So, yay to the updated logo or did it look better before? Do the Kings look better with more or less purple?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• 1 month later...

#7: Washington Capitals

The Capitals are one of a few teams that have had some very different looking brands in their history. Starting off with an appropriately patriotic uniform design which remained mostly untouched for twenty years, they then chose to experiment with blue, black and bronze in the mid nineties, using imagery such as the eagle and the white house US Capitol building as part of the 1995 redesign. With the NHL changing over to the Edge uniform system and Alex Ovechkin becoming a household name, the Caps decided it was once again time to rebrand, going with a look reminiscent of the franchise's early years but with a sleek and modern twist.

I think the logo set the Caps are using is pretty much spot-on. And although their uniforms are based on a generic Edge template it sort of works for them and it gives them - for lack of better term - a "lightweight" appearance, which isn't a bad thing in itself as it gives the overall identity a speedy sort of feel. That said with the template-based design the uniform does have its flaws, mainly the fact that there's stuff going on at the front but almost nothing on the back.

The Caps recently brought back their original white uniform from the 70's for the Winter Classic and are now using it as an alternate uniform. Some are clamouring for its full-time return, but to be honest, I think it's one of those designs that hasn't aged very well. The red uniform in particular is quite garish and simply wouldn't work in this day and age. What I did instead was take the same general idea and minimalise it in order for it to work with the team's current identity, essentially taking them back to their roots and also modernising the classic uniform design.

CapsRedesign.png

As for the alternate, yes, it is once again red. I considered making this jersey blue but thought that would be strange considering the team's "Rock the Red" marketing campaign. That and I felt it would infringe on the Blue Jackets' territory, having similarly patriotic design elements. The striping is loosely based on the 90's black jersey but with some elements of the USA flag incorporated. And of course, the Weagle makes a much-needed appearance as the crest here. I guess with the logo being based on an eagle and featuring a hidden white house US Capitol building, you could say this jersey is a subtle nod to the 90's, making this whole uniform set a true mash up of all of their eras.

Any C&C appreciated.

mTBXgML.png

Fantastic job. This is the perfect way to modernize their retro set and tie it in with their modern look. I would make the sock stripes match the jersey stripes for the primaries, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

LOVE that third jersey, and I've always liked that logo, good job promoting it to primary. Personally, since the eagle logo is your primary, I would put that one on the home and away jerseys and the Capitals script on the alternate, but it's a really nice set either way. Excellent job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

I like the direction your Kings set is going in. But I don't like the inconsistent coloring between the home and away on your update. Keep purple as the dominate color in the striping. also, I don't like the third jersey. I'm not a fan of the shield logo you use. Maybe something more like what they use now. It just seems out of place. I don't like the striping pattern. I'd say, add at least a little purple, if not, make it a purple jersey. This set has a ton of potential

The Capitals look great. These are exactly the kind of adjustments they need to make for a classic look. That being said, I can't get over the third. One of the best Caps jerseys I've seen in some time.

Great work as usual

Thanks for the comments so far!

I would make the sock stripes match the jersey stripes for the primaries, though.

Only reason I did the sock stripes like that was to match the original Caps uniforms. I think matching them with the jersey stripes would make them a bit plain, but that's just me.

Personally, since the eagle logo is your primary, I would put that one on the home and away jerseys and the Capitals script on the alternate

I've left the script as the crest on the primary jerseys as that's sort of their franchise tradition, again throwing back to their early days. But I think for stuff like hats, websites and NHL videogame menus, the Weagle is a lot better as a primary mark for the Caps than the script. Kinda like the Rangers shield which isn't even on any of their jerseys, I guess.

I like the direction your Kings set is going in. But I don't like the inconsistent coloring between the home and away on your update. Keep purple as the dominate color in the striping.

Yeah, I'll make that change in the near future. Although what I was aiming for was to keep black as the primary striping colour on the road uniform as most Kings fans seem to prefer black, silver and white being the focus of the colour scheme and not so much purple. I don't even know anymore. maybe I'll give 'em more purple anyway (and I also realise that the home uniform is now a little too similar to the Mighty Ducks black third jersey, so I'll need to make some sort of adjustment to the striping).

Kings update won't be happening just yet as I've already got another team in the works.

mTBXgML.png

#7: Washington Capitals

I guess with the logo being based on an eagle and featuring a hidden white house, you could say this jersey is a subtle nod to the 90's, making this whole uniform set a true mash up of all of their eras.

Any C&C appreciated.

This Capitals set is pretty much perfect. I agree that red is the way to go. Not to be a dick but the silhouette shows the US Capitol, not the White House.

#8: Minnesota Wild

Unlike what their name may suggest, the Wild have always had very simple, traditional uniform designs, and in recent years have been getting progressively more traditional with their newer uniforms, such as the green jersey which has been very well received. Same applies for the red jersey which was promoted to full-time home after the Edge switchover. However the white jersey, complete with a numbering font that does go with the team name, has remained untouched since the team was founded.

And that brings us to a common complaint with Minnesota's overall uniform: it's inconsistent. While they all look great in their own right, none of their uniforms have anything to do with each other. They all have completely different crests, the white has a completely different name and number font, and they all have completely different striping designs.

What I'm aiming for here is to bring the home and roads together so they match a lot more closely. For the primaries, I've taken the current home jersey template and made adjustments so the striping more closely resembles the pre-edge version of that uniform. However the home jersey here is now primarily green, as many have been wanting the Wild to go back to a green jersey full time. And although I personally like the unique number font used on the existing road jersey, I've done away with that too for the sake of consistency and keeping the overall look traditional.

And for those of you Wild fans wanting the return of your former NHL team's identity, the third jersey here is the next best thing I have to offer.

WildRedesign.png

The alternate uniform is an obvious tribute to the North Stars, with a new logo resembling the classic N-star, but with the North Star from the Wild's current primary logo incorporated. Both wheat and white are striping colours here with no red whatsoever, emulating the look of an old North Stars jersey while staying true to Minnesota's current branding and without infringing too much on the Dallas Stars.

Thoughts?

mTBXgML.png

This is exactly the Wild need. A unified home and road with the stand-alone bear head front and centre. The alternate looks stunning as well. I don't think it infringes on the Stars identity in the slightest.

That alternate jersey and the W logo are just incredible. I like that you got rid of the stupid roundel on the home jersey, great job keeping it simple. This is definitely my favorite set so far in this series.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

The Wild look really good. This is what they need to do with their set; it's currently an inconsistent mess that's gotten progressively worse since day one. The one thing I don't like is how there are four outlines on the alternate jersey crest. If you picture it in real life, it would look pretty cluttered. I'd say limit to two (green/white to match the numbers).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

A bit late to the party but that Washington set is one of the best I've seen here for a while. Just a great feel to it.

As for the latest one, the Wild third looks pretty good. The primary jerseys looked strange to me at first. As if the arms were separate from the jersey body, which they are in a sens anyway. Then I looked at the original jersey it's based on, the non-Edge one and it made it all kosher for me. Good job once more.

Very much like the film strips stripes on the Kings third. Their success as a non-purple team leads me to think, they should ditch it for good. I still enjoy did what you did to them. Crown looks sharp.

Don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't already been said about the Wild set: As everyone else has pointed out, it's rather good. [/understatement] I don't think anyone's mentioned the simple green/wheat/white color scheme of the third, but eliminating the small amount of red that they have on their actual third jersey looks great. And the stripes look great on the third, too! Actually, I'm a big fan of the stripes on all three, especially the additional small red stripe on the white jersey. Fantastic concept, I'd wear it.

Archived