wildwing64's NHL

wildwing64

Thanks for all the good feedback :D

I have a couple of updates to share. Firstly with Los Angeles, I went back to my original striping design but added purple dips to the sleeves. And while I've generally avoided using more than three logos (including scripts) for each team's identity so far, the Kings are my first exception, as I've now added an LA monogram to the home and road shoulders. I felt it would be more practical than the Chevy shield as a shoulder patch in real life.

KingsRedesignV3.png

And secondly with the Wild, I went with BigBubba's suggestion and removed an outline from the third jersey crest.

WildRedesignV2.png

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kings look really good on the update, I like the addition of purple to the sleeves. Would have loved to have seen a purple jersey for them, but what you have does look great. Minnesota really does look great, especially that alternate. Solid job on these concepts, and looking forward to seeing my Islanders!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• 1 month later...

#9: Phoenix Coyotes

Starting off with a heavily Aztec influenced design for their first look, the Coyotes later revamped their brand when they moved into their current arena, signifying the start of a new era for the franchise. With this in mind, the team moved away from their original Aztec look in favour of simpler, traditional striping, and also rebranded from the so-called Picassoyote to the howling Coyote head that the team still uses today.

The team also simplified its colour scheme, ditching green and purple in favour of focusing on brick red, sand, white and black. The initial version of this uniform wasn't bad in any sense, but the team's colour scheme is very underutilised and all you see on the jerseys themselves are the red and white, with only the logos making use of sand and black. Once the Edge uniform system kicked in league-wide, the Coyotes chopped off the hemstripes, making the overall uniform look really plain. Later the black third jersey was introduced, and while the template isn't particularly good, it does make more effective use of the franchise colours.

One of my aims with this concept was to add some more pizazz to the uniforms, making better use of the colours to really give the Coyotes a stronger, more distinct look. But I think that even if the base uniform is changed, it won't be quite enough to help strengthen the team's identity. I think that, currently, the problem lies with their primary logo.

So, hypothetical situation: the Coyotes get a stable ownership group, the team is successful, and they miraculously make back all of that money they've lost over the years. The franchise lives happily ever after. But that howling Coyote logo, while OK in its own right, will forever be associated with this current era of being owned by the league, continuing to bleed money year after year, the Glendale "Clown College" City Council... you get the idea. The Coyote is howling, either in agony or from seeing his bank statements. Or both. I think that if a new ownership group is to come in and really turn this struggling franchise around, they need a new logo. While I've kept the same basic concept of the Coyote head around, I aimed to create a more aggressive look for the team, no longer howling in agony or drowning in a sea of minuses, but looking ahead towards the future.

CoyotesRedesign.png

Like I said before, I wanted to add some more substance to the home and road uniforms, so the striping pattern remains traditional but makes better use of the team's colours, which sort of gives the uniforms a more timeless feel. The third jersey has a different approach, with a striping pattern vaguely reminiscent of their original uniforms, minus the Aztec patterns.

C&C appreciated.

mTBXgML.png

The striping on the home jersey looks spectacular. Probably the best use of those colours I've seen on these boards. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the away jersey. I would make the cuffs and bottom hem Brick, carry over the broad sand stripe in the middle and outline it in black if I were you. The primary logo looks decent but I couldn't call it an upgrade over the current one. I can't help missing the sharp edges in the cubist style and the smile looks odd.

The striping on the home jersey looks spectacular. Probably the best use of those colours I've seen on these boards. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the away jersey. I would make the cuffs and bottom hem Brick, carry over the broad sand stripe in the middle and outline it in black if I were you. The primary logo looks decent but I couldn't call it an upgrade over the current one. I can't help missing the sharp edges in the cubist style and the smile looks odd.

Thanks. Yeah, I have tried a combination like that but it's actually quite difficult to get sand to work as anything more prominent than an accent colour on a white jersey:

CoyotesRoad-OptionB.png

As for the smile, I was referencing a photo of a real life Coyote when I added that in. I'm happy with it myself, but I'm open for ideas to change the coyote's expression.

mTBXgML.png

Personally I dont like how the top of the head and mouth area are all hard angles but the rest is made of nice sweeping lines. And the nose looks kinda weird...

I took your logo and rounded it out just to see, and while I think it looks better..... It looks more like a fox...

So I dont know what to suggest.

I included the pic, not to step on your toes or anything, just so you see what I mean. I hope thats ok.

coyote.jpg

^^ this logo would look sick on a goalie helmet though....

Thanks. Yeah, I have tried a combination like that but it's actually quite difficult to get sand to work as anything more prominent than an accent colour on a white jersey:

CoyotesRoad-OptionB.png

As for the smile, I was referencing a photo of a real life Coyote when I added that in. I'm happy with it myself, but I'm open for ideas to change the coyote's expression.

Nevermind. Your original version looks much better. I thought that combination of colours would work in my head...

The logo is a great blend of past and present, though I agree with Morgo about the smile looking odd, and a bit out of place. After looking at what pdw did, I'd be interested to see what the logo looked like if you kept everything the way it was, but just eliminated the mouth altogether. As it stands right now, I prefer their current logo, but that might just be because the mouth on yours really, really, really throws it off for me.

The only other critique I'd offer would be to try the home jersey without any white whatsoever. It's so close to sand, but sand has so much more of that Yotes personality, and since the logo doesn't have a lick of white on it, I don't see why any jersey other than the away needs any either! Eschewing white entirely clearly works on the alternate, and I think that it probably would on the home, as well.

Aside from those two suggestions, though, I love the look of this Coyotes set! Great use of the color palette, I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do. You've taken their current look and given it an upgrade to make it stand out from the crowd, while not going the way-out-there route that their original look took. As a Yotes fan, thumbs up from me!

Nice. Not to sound impatient,, but when can we expect an Avalanche concept?

Funnily enough, that's the next team planned. I got started on a uniform template but managed to get sidetracked and ended up doing the Coyotes instead. Though I'll finish them off once I've made a tweak to my Coyotes logo.

mTBXgML.png

Nice. Not to sound impatient,, but when can we expect an Avalanche concept?

Funnily enough, that's the next team planned. I got started on a uniform template but managed to get sidetracked and ended up doing the Coyotes instead. Though I'll finish them off once I've made a tweak to my Coyotes logo.

Excellent. Looking forward to em.

• 4 months later...

Hooboy. Long time no update.

Anyway, this thing with the Coyote smiling had been bugging me for a while. I liked the way it looked myself, but I notice hardly anyone else did. I kept coming back to it, and just couldn't think of a way to improve on it. So, today I came back to it again, then tried going for a more natural looking snarl using a photo of a real life coyote as a reference.

So, is this better?

CoyotesRedesignV2_zps9aaee5cc.png

mTBXgML.png

Hooboy. Long time no update.

Anyway, this thing with the Coyote smiling had been bugging me for a while. I liked the way it looked myself, but I notice hardly anyone else did. I kept coming back to it, and just couldn't think of a way to improve on it. So, today I came back to it again, then tried going for a more natural looking snarl using a photo of a real life coyote as a reference.

So, is this better?

CoyotesRedesignV2_zps9aaee5cc.png

I feel as if the mouth should be open with this logo. The top of the logo seems very aggressive and yet the Coyote isn't showing/ in it's most aggressive state.

untitled-6.jpg

Archived