United States 12/14 Home Shirt Leaked

carlosgg6

I don't like it. I actually always thought red/white hoops would work well for the USMNT, now that I see it, I don't like it. I dislike the sash too. I am actually not that convinced Nike really knows how to design a great soccer jersey. They seem to tinker too far on the "radical" side and seem to keen to pull the plug on old ideas and too eager to adapt new ones.

I am not sure what the answer is for USMNT. I thought this would work, but now that I see it, I really don't think I can wear it.

One problem with hoops is it makes you look fat. I am a pretty decent weight (for my age anyway), so I can get away with a shirt that add ten pounds, but a lot of people (especially American men) really can't afford to do that. It's gonna look really bad on guys with a pot belly, like, really, really bad.

This should matter how? Hoops make large people look larger and they make athletic people look snazzy. That should be of no concern for the national soccer team. Maybe Nike will sell less jerseys because the average American isn't of the most athletic build, but again, how a replica jersey looks on a pot-bellied fan should be the absolute last thing on the list when building an identity for your national soccer team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You certainly aren't going to improve the fortunes of the US soccer team by switching and swapping it's identity.

I think the consensus is that they should pick something and finally stick with it. I don't see anyone advocating that they keep switching the bones of their identity every two years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You know how else they botched it? The American flag has 7 red stripes and 6 white. This kit has 6 red stripes and 7 white. If you're going to make such a literal reference to a national symbol, you could at least bother to get the math right.

It would be nice if the US National Team adopts the same model from the Estudiantes LP (Argentina) shirt.

argentinian-teams-mitre-estudiantes-de-la-plata-away-04-05.jpg

Of course, maybe it would be retooled with some blue field and some stars anywhere over the shirt.

Foto067.jpg

I knew that shirt but I never liked it because of its waving stripes.

Not very "soccerish" the shirt.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

This looks like someone wearing the old jersey underneath the new one. Such an awful idea to force the sash in here.

Exactly.

And you're right, let's pick a design and go all in, not change it up completely every few years and end up with something like this. The racing stripes were great (IMHO), the subdued hoops (there, Gothamite, I said it) with red piping were pretty good, they were almost there with the sash (but the subdued sash just seemed like a cop-out), and now this, which seems to try to combine all those elements and just kinda looks weird...

Grunge-Logos.png

full-front image:

USA12.jpg

Wow I really hope that is legit!

1. I initially liked the first leak my only complaint being the boxes.. I HOPE they addressed this and did away with them or at least the front ones.

2. I'm curious to see what bottom combination they pair this with.

3. So far I'm satisfied with what has leaked and I am anxiously awaiting Nike to release some game photos of Clint Dempsey wearing the new kit the way they have with the past few. Probably gonna buy one

Unfortunately, sticking with one style isn't exactly Nike's M.O.

For the past decade, it seems like they've been trying to make the USMNT into the "Oregon Ducks" of the soccer world. I don't think there is any question about that now.

full-front image:

USA12.jpg

1. I initially liked the first leak my only complaint being the boxes.. I HOPE they addressed this and did away with them or at least the front ones.

2. I'm curious to see what bottom combination they pair this with.

3. So far I'm satisfied with what has leaked and I am anxiously awaiting Nike to release some game photos of Clint Dempsey wearing the new kit the way they have with the past few. Probably gonna buy one

1. They have to have the back box, as FIFA regulations state that the player's number must be on a solid background.

But yes, I love this. I've long thought that the US should wear hoops to mimic the flag, and well, because they just look so good.

All in all, though, I definitely like it.

6fQjS3M.png

The hoops are fine, but then it causes inconsistency with the US Soccer logo which has vertical blue stripes.

Well, that thing needs to be thrown in the trash.

There is the whole US Code which addresses this too, athletic uniforms specifically.

36 USC 10 subsection 176(j) " No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

If you read and follow the Flag Code, even the Flag patches on sport uniforms is technically a violation of Federal law. Granted, it is a toothless law, in that there is no enforcement on it, but it is there none the less.

There is a great deal of room for interpretation when it comes to the provisions of the U.S. Flag Code which you've cited.

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

In the case of a U.S. flag patch attached to an athletic uniform, a part of the U.S. flag is not being used as a costume or athletic uniform. Rather, a depiction of the U.S. flag in its entirety is being affixed to such a uniform. There are those who will tell you that this is an important distinction which is meant to prevent an actual U.S. flag from being turned into a garment, rather than preventing a patch depicting the flag from being affixed to a garment.

Similarly, so long as a costume or athletic uniform rendered to look like the U.S. flag - or, one of its constituent parts (i.e. alternating red and white stripes, a star-spangled blue field) - is not, in point of fact, an actual U.S. flag converted into a garment, there is an open question as to whether said costume or athletic uniform is in violation of U.S. Flag Code.

However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

As the definition of "patriotic organizations" is left unspecified by the U.S. Flag Code, United States-based sports organizations, clubs and franchises would undoubtedly argue that affixing a patch depicting the U.S. flag to the uniforms of U.S.-based athletic teams - particularly those clubs designated as "national teams" and representing the United States in international sporting competitions - is meant to communicate the nationalistic recognition and patriotic pride they have for the country they represent and/or operate in.

In point of fact, about the only argument that can be made under the current U.S. Flag Code for removing U.S. flag patches from athletic uniforms is the passage that reads:

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged in any way.

One could argue that when a patch depicting the U.S. flag is affixed to an athletic uniform, said patch could be subjected to wear and tear that would permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged.

Of course, U.S. flag patches affixed to the uniforms of military personnel, firemen and policemen are also subjected to significant wear and tear while said personnel are in the line of duty. Further, there will be those who will point out that U.S. Flag Code does seem to make a distinction between an actual U.S. flag and a U.S. flag patch, and that this section of the code seems to be referring to an actual U.S. flag.

full-front image:

USA12.jpg

I think that's a picture of the replica jersey, which won't have the white boxes. The authentic jerseys will have the white boxes.

full-front image:

USA12.jpg

Sounds like I might be in the minority here on this one, but I think this is fantastic. To me, it looks like what the USA should have been wearing all along. I mean, red and white hoops to match the flag? Totally fits. And I don't even mind the subliminated sash at all, it's not like it's profound enough to scream "HEY I'M A SASH EVERYONE. LOOK AT ME!". From a distance, no one will probably even notice. Pair this shirt with navy shorts and hooped socks, and it's perfect. And after that, they shouldn't make any further identity changes. This is a good foundation for something iconic if it's kept.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'll pass on the hooped socks, and I wouldn't doubt the team would probably do the same.

I get way too much of a "Nanny from the Muppet Babies" image in my from that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hooped socks would a lot like Wenda. Maybe solid white, blue or red would be better.

wenda_2.png

Those DTOM kits were ACE! Though, I will admit like Digby said that this year's red kit was fantastic and very similar to the DTOM's, besides the lack of white in the sash. Both were great. However, I'm still excited to see the new kit in full, as well as the alt.

Archived