Expansion Teams in all 4 major leagues

RoughRiders9

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been on here posting my updates. I've been busy with the family and Thanksgiving. I'm sure everybody understand. I certainly do hope that all of you had an excellent time over the past weekend.

Anyway, I've made few minor changes according to a few people's comments (mostly realignments) here or there. A few things that I didn't for our (my friend and I) personal reasons. I'll be posting all four sports: NHL, NFL, MLB and the new NBA league as well.

NHL: I don't think there has been any changes

NFL: I moved the St. Louis Rams to NFC South, and moved the New Mexico Nighthawks to the NFC West. I think that is all.

MLB: I don't think I did anything major...

NBA: A whole new thing for you to comment on :-D

7c932bcc9111d18775283a8f9891a473.png

9551421147d73213315423d548b40520.png

0e6cfacc6b477405115ec73fecd1b077.png

127bd0bb80305719bd561c0e450bdd5f.png

As for the NBA, I CANNOT think of a team name for the Iowa/Des Moines NBA team. I've come up with a few ideas, including a few of the posters here, but I still can't find anything. Here's my list that I've come up with:

Iowa Wind (actually the team that I nearly went with, but pulled out at the last second)

Iowa Reapers

Des Moines RoughRiders

Des Moines Dragons (old IBL team)

To be honest, I'm not quite satisfied with all of the names I've listed above. So my, my top two favorites are the Iowa Wind and Des Moines RoughRiders. If you could suggest any more ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

IowaOaks.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL

1. Toronto Torpedoes

2. Hamilton Tigers

3. Quebec Nordiques

4. Halifax Explosion

5. Moncton Monks

6. Seattle Metropolians

7. Portland Lumberjacks

8. Milwaukee Beermen

MLB:

1. Memphis Kings

2. Montreal Expos

3. Vancouver Horse Doctors (old minor league team)

4. Las Vegas Aces

5. Mexico City Aztecs

I'm a little late to the party, but I don't like that your expanded NFL would have a team in Canton. Ohio has already become an NFL black hole thanks to the Browns and Bengals.

I would have added a team to Omaha, Salt Lake City or Portland before I put a third NFL team in Ohio. It looks like you confined yourself to the US only, but heck, you could put teams in Vancouver, Toronto, or even south of the border in a place like Mexico City.

Also, I'm sure that there would be a lot of people who object to "Maui Bombers." Plenty of Pearl Harbor survivors might find that offensive, let alone the fact that the main bombing took place on Oahu, not Maui.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

No it's ok! I actually never thought of that about Hawaii and Pearl Harbor. Thanks. I appericate it.

And it's never too late! It's an on-going project between my friend and I.

I could replace Canton with a Toronto team and it wouldn't mess up the realignment that much. (Toronto to AFC East, Indianapolis to AFC North)

IowaOaks.png

Also just wanted to post the possible schedule methods:

4 Divisions of 10 Teams (40 teams)

2 Conferences

1 game vs other Conf. (home/away alternates yearly) = 20 games

2 games vs other division in conf (1 home, 1 away) = 20 games

5 games vs inter division (2/3 home, 2/3 away, rotates yearly) = 45 games

85-Game Season

5 Divisions of 8 teams (40 teams)

NO Conferences

2 games vs outer-divisional teams, 32 teams (1 home, 1 away) = 64 games

3 games vs divisional teams (1/2 home, 1/2 away, rotates yearly) = 21 games

85-Game Season

8 Divisions of 5 teams (40 teams)

2 Conferences

1 game vs other Conf (home/away alts yearly) = 20 games

2 games vs interdivisional in same conf (1 home, 1 away) = 30 games

8 games vs divisional members (4 home, 4 away) = 32 games

82-Game Season

Obviously, those would work for either the NBA or NHL. I know two of them said 85 games, but what's extra 3 games?

Haven't figured out a method for the NFL and MLB, though I know that the NFL will likely have a 18-game schedule (with only 2 pre-season games)

IowaOaks.png

As for the NBA, I CANNOT think of a team name for the Iowa/Des Moines NBA team. I've come up with a few ideas, including a few of the posters here, but I still can't find anything. Here's my list that I've come up with:

Iowa Wind (actually the team that I nearly went with, but pulled out at the last second)

Iowa Reapers

Des Moines RoughRiders

Des Moines Dragons (old IBL team)

To be honest, I'm not quite satisfied with all of the names I've listed above. So my, my top two favorites are the Iowa Wind and Des Moines RoughRiders. If you could suggest any more ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

De Moines Reapers. Way to go.

capitalone.png

For the Kentucky NBA team, the name would have to be the Kentucky Colonels. The Louisville Metro City Council said so, if memory serves correctly. There was a BUNCH of coverage when Louisville was wooing the Hornets -- it's why they greenlit the construction of the KFC Yum! Center (which eventually became the basketball home of the UofL Cardinals).

Sigs are for sissies.

Looking at your alignment for the NHL I think there are some teams you could move around in order to separate the eastern teams in a more geographic sense.

Align them like this:

Eastern Northeast- Halifax, Quebec, Ottawa, Montreal, Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester, Buffalo, Boston & Hartford.

Eastern Atlantic- NY Islanders, NY Rangers, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay & Florida

That way theres no overlapping of divisions from north to south, just my quick two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought that I'd give you an update on our project. We've been focusing on MLB for the recent days and this is what we ended up with:

We've also changed a few teams here and there. The new teams are Salt Lake Bees, New Orleans Pelicans and Omaha Legends

MLB Realignment

8e9de6d9f8b7362982bdcd739f5b8519.png

"Natural" Rivals

http://gyazo.com/87421cd8af7c60281ae2ef85207309dd.png

In case the previous confused you a little bit, it's actually two columns. Reason why I did that so the picture won't be so "tall" in the thread.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!! I'll probably post the other sports later on. My friend and I have also updated them as well, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet....

Thanks!!

IowaOaks.png

Just thought that I'd give you an update on our project. We've been focusing on MLB for the recent days and this is what we ended up with:

We've also changed a few teams here and there. The new teams are Salt Lake Bees, New Orleans Pelicans and Omaha Legends

MLB Realignment

8e9de6d9f8b7362982bdcd739f5b8519.png

"Natural" Rivals

http://gyazo.com/87421cd8af7c60281ae2ef85207309dd.png

In case the previous confused you a little bit, it's actually two columns. Reason why I did that so the picture won't be so "tall" in the thread.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!! I'll probably post the other sports later on. My friend and I have also updated them as well, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet....

Thanks!!

Nice, but I'd keep the Rockies and Brewers in the NL and put Portland and Omaha in the AL. Thus, the Oaks and Monarchs would become natural interleague rivals, as would Colorado and Portland, San Diego and Seattle, and Minnesota and Milwaukee.

Also, in the NBA, I'd give the San Diego Aztecs another name to avoid confusion with San Diego State University, whose NCAA teams are called the Aztecs.

YOZXkBG.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

For the past few days, I've been starting to do a few concepts for the expanion teams from Arkansas and Iowa.

I still haven't decided on a basketball team name for the Iowa team so I made up a list of possible team names. If you have any ideas or like any of my ideas, tell me so and why. Convince me to use the name. I'm still not sold on Iowa RoughRiders or a few other team names that have been suggested before....I want something that represents the state of Iowa.

Anyway, here's the list of possibilities...

Iowa Sparrows

Iowa Swallows

Iowa Falcons

Iowa Mustangs

Iowa Voyagers

Iowa Pioneers

Iowa Explorers

Iowa Steamers

Iowa Cropdusters

Iowa Wagoneers

Iowa Copperheads

Iowa Stags

Iowa Flood

Iowa RoughRiders

THanks!!

IowaOaks.png

I've had much fun playing with the concept of a third MLB league, so I've got a lot of concepts I'd like to eventually share on here when I get things presentable. Let me offer some of my favorite team identities.

MLB

1: Iowa Oaks

2: Arkansas Travelers

3: Portland Beavers

4: Montreal Expos

5: San Antonio Missions

6: New Orleans Cajuns

7: Las Vegas Superstars

8: New Jersey Guards (Atlantic City, NJ)

9: Richmond Rebels

10: Indianapolis Stallions

NFL

1: Iowa Barnstormers

2: Arkansas Outlaws

3: Los Angeles Hills

4: Utah Knights (Salt Lake City, UT)

5: Oklahoma Okies

6: Mexico Warriors (Monterrey, Mexico)

7: Vancouver Lumberjacks

8: Portland Whalers

9: Canton Cougars

10: Toronto Tyrants

NBA

1: Iowa Monks (Des Moines is French for "The Monks" and it's all I've got)

2: Arkansas Diamonds

3: Seattle Supersonics

4: Kansas City Princes

5: Santa Fe Desert Foxes (regal term to go with fellow regal terms "Royal" and "Chief")

6: Mississippi Rivers

7: San Antonio Outlaws

8: Montreal Triomphe

9: Pittsburgh Quakers

10: Oakland Earthquakes

Your ideas/suggestions would help me a lot! Thanks a bunch!

Also I want to add a few pictures of the excel spreadsheet where I've realinged the league according to the expanded teams:

NHL:

ExpandedNHL.png

Teams in ABC order

I'm somewhat "final" with the NHL.

NFL:

ExpandedNFL.png

Expanded teams listed last in their division (1 per division)

I would say that I'm about halfway done with the NFL but I feel very confident about this. I do might need some help with the NFL realignments tho.

If you leave the existing teams in their divisions, don't put Canton in the AFC North, because that would make three teams in Ohio from the same division.

spacer.png

Archived