2011 FCS/1AA Playoffs

4_tattoos

Why the heck is the FCS Championship being played on January 7th?

That 3 week gap between the semi-finals and championship seems rediculous to me. Don't even get me started on the break between FBS final week of the season to the BCS Championship game.

Anyways, Sam Houston should have somewhat of a home advantage with the game being played in Texas. Not to mentione that it's only about a 3 hour drive from Sam Houston's campus in Huntsville to the game site in Frisco.

Working backwards:

1- This years game is sold out and FC Dallas/City of Frisco are putting bleachers on the stage for the team bands and are selling SRO tickets starting Jan. 3. Take it that a team from the Southland Conference is playing.

2- It will not be known as Pizza Hut Park as their sponsorship ends on Dec. 31. So look for it to be called FC Dallas or City of Frisco Stadium on air.

3- The gap was primarily made since the tournament was expanded from 16 to 20 teams in 2010. Having them play the Friday before Christmas could have a team play 16 games in 17 or 18 weeks, depending on when their first game was and if they had to play in the first round.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1- This years game is sold out and FC Dallas/City of Frisco are putting bleachers on the stage for the team bands and are selling SRO tickets starting Jan. 3. Take it that a team from the Southland Conference is playing.

The fact that NDSU is playing also makes a difference. NDSU is kind of like the Nebraska of this division -- Bison fans will follow their team everywhere, in pretty big numbers.

One of my daughters and her husband were among the lucky ones to get tickets, and will be in Frisco for the game.

The fact that NDSU is playing also makes a difference. NDSU is kind of like the Nebraska of this division -- Bison fans will follow their team everywhere, in pretty big numbers.

One of my daughters and her husband were among the lucky ones to get tickets, and will be in Frisco for the game.

Each team received 4,000 tickets and sold them all, so for selling that amount for a 20,000 seat venue is still not that difficult to do when one team is a three hour drive away.

However both teams turned away people who wanted tickets.

This isn't the first time Sam Houston State will play a team from Fargo-Moorhead for a national football title.

Sitting across the Red River from Fargo is the Minnesota community of Moorhead, home to two four-year colleges -- Concordia (my sisters' alma mater) and Minnesota State Moorhead (my alma mater). Sam Houston State played the Concordia Cobbers for the 1964 NAIA national championship, and both teams played to a 6-6 tie long before overtimes were added.

I remember watching that game on TV up here, even though I was only 8. I don't remember the details, but I remember being disappointed that it wasn't an outright win for Concordia. But Concordia hung up a banner in its fieldhouse proclaiming its co-national championship. I guess a title is a title, even if the game ends in a tie.

Don't the divsion 2 and 3 playoffs feature over 20 teams each? How are they able to get their championship game played before the holidays?

True. Division 2 has a 24 team field and Division 3 has a 32 team field.

But, they usually start eariler then the teams in Division I, and that is about a week ahead (that wasn't the case this season, though).

Don't the divsion 2 and 3 playoffs feature over 20 teams each? How are they able to get their championship game played before the holidays?

True. Division 2 has a 24 team field and Division 3 has a 32 team field.

But, they usually start eariler then the teams in Division I, and that is about a week ahead (that wasn't the case this season, though).

Yet Division 1A/FBS can even put together a simple 8 team playoff. Or even a 4 team plus one. For shame BCS, for shame.

Do you mean Division 2 and 3 starts their playoffs a week earlier, or starts their season a week earlier?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Don't D2/D3 programs only play 10 regular season games compared to 11 at the FCS level?

Most play a 10-11 game schedule. The big difference in D2/D3 is that there are more conference games since some of the conferences are larger.

The biggest difference is in the Division III NESCAC, which only plays 9 games and they are all conference games.

Do you mean Division 2 and 3 starts their playoffs a week earlier, or starts their season a week earlier?

The season does start eariler for them and they get their playoffs going eariler. Both D-II and D-III start two weeks before the FCS starts their playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew NDSU's defense was great, but I had no idea it was that great.

Holding Sam Houston State to 6 points? Wow! Allowing only 27 in four playoff games? Wow and wow again!

Fargo is celebrating. Even University of North Dakota fans were happy for the Bison. As one fan in Grand Forks said, who are they going to root for, Texas?

By the way, my wife went to get a handful of groceries shortly after the game started. She said there was no traffic on the streets and very few people in the grocery store. A cashier in the grocery store even asked her why she wasn't watching the Bison game.

Way to go, Bison!!!

Glare of rings? Penguin boy? Heheheheh.

By the way, NDSU will take on Youngstown State in regards to rings. Sure, all but one are in Division II, but they are national championships nonetheless. And the Bison have just started scratching the surface of Division I-AA ... er, FCS.

By the way, on a totally separate note, the Missouri Valley Football Conference really needs a name change. According to my knowledge of geography, there is only one college in the MVFC that might be in the Missouri River Valley -- South Dakota State. I think Brookings is in the Big Sioux River Valley, and the Big Sioux River flows into the Missouri. So this conference needs a new name.

Glare of rings? Penguin boy? Heheheheh.

By the way, NDSU will take on Youngstown State in regards to rings. Sure, all but one are in Division II, but they are national championships nonetheless. And the Bison have just started scratching the surface of Division I-AA ... er, FCS.

By the way, on a totally separate note, the Missouri Valley Football Conference really needs a name change. According to my knowledge of geography, there is only one college in the MVFC that might be in the Missouri River Valley -- South Dakota State. I think Brookings is in the Big Sioux River Valley, and the Big Sioux River flows into the Missouri. So this conference needs a new name.

The conference is essentially the football division of the other Missouri Valley conference, which shares a decent number of the teams.

Hey, when you win 4 FCS ones in 7 years, we'll talk. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

I'm watching the pregame for the BCS Championship Game right now, and can't help but wonder what an 8 (or even 16) team playoff with this year's top FBS/1A teams would have been like. Oh well, maybe one day my wishful thinking will become a reality.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Us out in Youngstown don't think your defense is all that great! :P

Congrats, NDSU! One more team not named UNI in the MVFC with a title.

Bite me, Penguin boy!

What was that? I can't see you because of the glare from all of these rings...

Yeah... all of those rings that the Penguins got thanks to the Crooked Sweater Vest before he became crooked. The only thing is that no one remembers when they won those rings or were on the receiving end of another ass whooping from Marshall. :P

As for the MVFC: Half of the league members are from the MVC itself (UNI, Indiana State, Illinois State, Missouri State and Southern Illnois). Of the other five, 4 come from the Summit League (Western Illinois, NDSU, SDSU and South Dakota) and Youngstown State represents the Horizon League (The first group doesn't include Drake, who is a MVC member but plays football in the Pioneer League).

Archived