Florida State Rebrand

raysox

What was your reasoning behind tilting the head downwards? Now it REALLY looks like he is near sneezing or crying...instead of screaming a warchant into the sky "above"!

Not sure how this would look, but it may help to "flip" the eye line you currently have...it would then match the original flow and possibly convey the same emotion the original has, while keeping an updated appearance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're on the right track, but as others have said, you've oversimplified it a bit. Right now it just looks a bit amorphous. You can be abstract, but right now it's just not very dynamic - I think if you varied the line width a bit on the outline it would give more of a sense of motion and depth.

Just as an example, I did a FSU rebrand a while back. It's not great, but I think it shows you can simplify and modernize the features without becoming too abstract or losing the original logo's likeness.

My biggest problem with the FSU logo is that the guy looks like he's about 50 years old. I fully understand that they're trying to respect the Seminole Nation and their long, established history, but I think if you're gonna overhaul this logo you should consider making him like 30 or so, more of a "young brave" who would actually lead the army into war, instead of the elder chief who would govern the camp.

Please note - I mean no disrespect and am not trying to oversimplify native American traditions. Just observing that a younger looking guy in the logo might look more aggressive.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Thanks again guys.

Cola

I tilted it up, and it just didn't look as fierce. It looked "like he's being sodomized", sure a Gators fan said that, but I could sort of see it. I was just messing around spinning the logo, and I thought tilted down it looked as if he was down charging in an ambush, or something. I just tried the eye streak going up, and it looks like he's yawning.

Nole

I actually found that, because I remembered that someone did this once, and I wanted to see how you updated it.

Piano

I think I know what you're getting at, and I'll try to give it a facelift. On my unposted update, I took off the black check near the mouth.

i think the eyes are wrong, what you did there took an expression of singing and turned it into yawning or sneezing. make the eyes look like they are close, right now there is tension in his expression

keep the war paint pattern as it was. dont want it to look like bacon, but the way the paint was applied to the face was important. there may even be a significane of having 3 stripes on the face, but i cant remember right now

tilt his head back again like in the original. dont want him to look shameful. head up with pride and speaking to the heavens

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Still working on the face, I'm working on the bacon face, and trying to make the face paint not look thrown together. Here are two alternate logos, and a script while I'm working. I'm going to make the feather on the Osceola logo match the one on the spear. I used some spear logos, the two official logos, and the nike spear. I wanted to update the logo from the link below, and thought of doing this with a state outline.

tumblr_lvhysnHquN1qe2dhgo1_500.png

Two things I'm considering keeping as is, just as a personal opinion.

• the colors
  • rotation

I seriously hate the way the football uniforms look. Personally the gold pants looks like watered down champagne, and I'm pretty sure they don't match the helmets. If I get in, the in the top 3 things to do is order this shirt. I love the colors. I wanted to originally use the Predators gold, but figured gold was too set in the history of the school, and the colors would be similar to the Gophers. I lightened it, and sort of made it into a "honey mustard" color. I like how it looks on the logos, but might change it when I do work on the football uniform, to make it a little more gold.

And I'm still leaning for the downward turned head. I see it as charging into battle, instead of looking up to the skies. Not sure, that's how I look at it.

That FSU/state of Florida is insanely cool. If I saw that on a sweat shirt I would buy it immediately. One thing that bothers me on the primary face is the eyes. They look too squared off, if they came to a point like at the edge of the eye lid it would look more realistic. This is a really good concept.

I really like everything I'm seeing, except I would kill that Falcons font and find a replacement. Two reasons, 1- It's pretty exclusive to the Falcons as I think it was designed for them. 2- Its really "blocky" and seems to follow the trend of all new age team identity fonts with the specific serifs and jagged slashes and edges. Nothing really memorable about it.

I personally love FSU's real font. I think its perfect for them and wouldnt change it. Your head logo is an improvement but I actually like how the hair breaks the perfect circle in the real logo. I think in your version, the guy could use more of a back of the head. His head seems thin from front to back. your spear logo is sweeet.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the font even if it is in use by another team. Spear logo is sweet and it would be nice to see it on a helmet. One thing I would do is remove the outline mark above the 'FSU' logo. It is distracting and looks more like an out-of-place quote mark rather than part of the state outline.

I do think your head logo is an improvement over the original.... well executed! However, the original was poorly-drawn to begin with which is why the revamp doesn't look quite right. I would like to see you do your own version.

I definitely think you should stick with the eyes open option, but there's a couple small things that are bothering me a bit.

The whole eye and eyebrow should be moved slightly down and to the right. So that the pupil is below the indention between the nose and forehead.

If you look at anyone's profile you'll notice that the person's eyebrow usually matches up exactly with that indention.

Here's a crude representation of what I mean-

Picture2-5.png

Also, I'm not entirely sure that you need that much defeniton on the jaw line. You could probally get away with just rounding it slightly at the end.

You might also want to try adding some type of cheek bone definition, I think it could really add some sharpness to the logo, and fill up some of the white space within the Seminole's face.

I think the feather might look better if it was a more even width down the majority of it's length too (as it is now, it appears to get skinny and then a little wider as it goes down.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

IMO it doesnt have much emotion or intensity, it just looks like hes staring at something with his mouth hanging open, like he's waiting for someone to throw a piece of popcorn in there. I mean in the original, with the eyes closed it kinda portrayed that he was putting his all into the battle cry. If you can achieve that same concept/intensity with the eyes open I think you'll have it. I also think missouri tigers made very good points, like bringing the eye/eyebrow down, and kinda scrunching/jutting out the brow bone like he did in his edit. And like he said, adding some cheek definition I think would help portray the yelling better, and the jawline hook could be toned down too. I know it might sound corny, but make a face as if you were yelling and look/think about how your muscles and bones are positioned and what features are more pronounced than others, and I think it might help you draw it out better.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

That shade of yellow reminds me a lot of Arizona State. Maybe a little bit more gold? Overall really good work. The original logo always scared me as a child, so this is a vast improvement

Archived