2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

It looks like the NBA is headed for a lightning round of free agency. Not only are there the normal free agents but also the players that the new CBA will push out. So, who goes where? Who gets an un-worthy deal? Who gets pushed out due to cap room?

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Warriors are interested in Brandon Roy, who is likely to be Portland's amnesty choice. Roy wants to stay on the west coast, and his former agent Bob Myers is now the Warriors assistant GM. A big man is the Warriors top priority but if they can get Roy at a reasonable price they're definitly interested

I'll start talking about these things more once the lockout is buried for good.

Paul Millsap is being pursued by Indiana. Take a guess on who was his former team. However, if Utah can get someone good in return, then it will be worth it. That said, Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince, Rodney Stuckey, or Jason Richardson could be good fits should the Jazz land any of them.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

No team should go after a current free agent as the 2012 class is much better and has more of am impact. That said, how a team like Dallas moves in the next three weeks is important since Dirk will be 34 next June and will not be the Mavs #1 player long tern; they will need a #1 guy and Chandler, a current FA is not that guy.

Chris Broussard tweeted that other than trading Blake Griffin, the Clippers will do anything to get Dwight Howard

He also tweeted that Chris Paul would seriously consider signing an extension with the Clippers if traded there. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if the Clips somehow landed Dwight, but I'm not sure I buy him being their #1 option. I think they're trying to make New Orleans seriously consider the Clips as a trading partner for CP3 by acting like they could get D12 with a similar deal.

It is Chris "LeBron Is Definitely Going To A Different Team Each Week, Seriously Guys" Broussard, but still. Just the rumors alone have made me get even more amped for the upcoming season.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Chris Broussard tweeted that other than trading Blake Griffin, the Clippers will do anything to get Dwight Howard

He also tweeted that Chris Paul would seriously consider signing an extension with the Clippers if traded there.

It's Chris "LeBron Is Definitely Going To A Different Team Each Week, Seriously Guys" Broussard, but still. Just the rumors alone have made me get even more amped for the upcoming season.

What do the Clips have to give that could get them either Paul or Howard?

What do the Clips have to give that could get them either Paul or Howard?

• Minnesota's first round pick in the 2012 draft - almost certainly a lottery pick in one of the deepest drafts in ages, a chance to jumpstart the inevitable rebuilding process. No other potential trading partner can offer that, to my knowledge.
  • Chris Kaman - veteran, expiring contract.
  • Eric Bledsoe and/or al-Farouq Aminu - young talent, recently drafted, but they've shown decent potential, and they come relatively cheap. They'd be filler.
  • Eric Gordon (depends) - many analysts believe that he'll be one of the best 2-guards in the league once he reaches his prime. From watching him play, not only as a Clipper but as a member of Team USA in the FIBA's, he is going to be a star.
  • DeAndre Jordan (depends) - athletic young center that several teams are already interested in. I think he'd be more likely to be included in a trade for Paul or Howard, but he has to be re-signed during restricted free agency first.

New Orleans or Orlando would probably want to dump a bad contract on us during the trade as filler on their end.

xLmjWVv.png

The Minnesota pick (and their own) is a great piece, but nothing else mentioned is gonna bring in a superstar

wat

If Orlando & New Orleans choose to rebuild, a package of the Wolves' pick, Gordon & Bledsoe/Aminu would be a decent haul in exchange for Paul or Howard. Do I think it's gonna happen, personally? No, mainly because the Clippers are still owned by Donald Sterling. But would it be plausible? Hell yeah.

The Minnesota pick (and their own) is a great piece, but nothing else mentioned is gonna bring in a superstar

Perhaps (although I think you're underrating Gordon and Jordan), but with CP3 at least, the Knicks are presumably willing to wait for free agency. Provided that nobody else swoops in with a better trade offer, the Hornets will have to choose between getting absolutely nothing in return for CP3 in free agency or making a trade with the Clippers that, if nothing else, greatly helps them rebuild. The choice is clear in that scenario. And Paul likes the idea of going to the Clippers anyway, so much so that he's already said he would sign an extension if traded there.

I'm not saying it will happen, but trade rumors are fun nonetheless.

xLmjWVv.png

Unless the new CBA changed things and I missed it, there is no such thing as a good haul for a superstar. When a superstar makes it known he wants to be traded, you either let him leave for nothing as a free agent or trade him for a package of overpaid crap you don't want on short-term contracts and hope to get a good draft pick or two. Such is life in the NBA.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You can thank Clips Nation (a Clippers blog that is a daily read for me) for that... they're pretty up-to-date on the latest trade rumors involving a certain LA-based NBA team. B)

Also, there's rumors now that the reason the Clips would try to swing a trade for Dwight first is so they could then swoop in and sign Paul in free agency. That would be huge news no matter what team it is.

xLmjWVv.png

All NBA threads should eventually renamed the Lights Out Clippers Report. :P

All threads should eventually be renamed "Lights Out (insert favorite team here) Report"

Clips nation is an SB nation blog right? I don't read too much into those. The Brook Lopez and 2 firsts the Nets are reportedly ready to offer is better than whatever the Clips could offer for Dwight. But the Clips having two early B) picks in the next draft puts them in the discussion

Chris Paul formally requests trade to Knicks

HOWEVUH:

Nevertheless, the prospects of the Hornets executing a trade with the Knicks appear to be relatively dim. The Knicks simply don?t have the trade assets that come close to meeting New Orleans? criteria for a deal. Demps has been listening to overtures from teams around the league, and has been actively working under the assumption that Paul would reject a contract extension.

The Hornets have no intention of letting Paul walk away at season?s end without trying to get maximum value for him. There are several teams, including the Boston Celtics, that could be willing to make a deal for Paul with the hope of convincing him to eventually sign an extension.

If Paul were to opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent after this season, he could sign a maximum four-year, $74 million deal with another team. The Knicks currently would have enough salary-cap room to offer him a four-year, $55.5 million contract with a starting salary of $13 million.

I can see Paul getting traded at the deadline to a championship contender & playing out the string for that club. Then, when the offseason hits & the Knicks clear some cap space, they can sign him to the max and the impossible dream of Paul-Melo-Amare becomes a reality. But as for this season...don't think it's gonna happen.

Archived