All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McAdoo I view as the Gale Sayers of the NBA.

At his peak was one of if not the best center in the NBA. The only problem is that peak only lasts five years and beyond that you have nothing to go on.

That's a fair assessment. (To save space, I didn't quote the entire thing.) But I would counter that McAdoo had some very good years outside his five best as well as a "second career" as a very good 6th man on those championship Lakers teams. Sandwiched between the modest early success of those Braves teams, and his time with the Lakers, was a span of playing on mostly bad teams. I can't hold that against him.

My opinion is his career would be seen in a much better light had he played on better teams or in a different era. The 70's were a low watermark in NBA basketball. The game wasn't terribly popular back then and I think that hurt the legacy of of quite a few players. (Remember, this was a time where the Finals were shown on tape delay.) Anyway, I think I got great value with him in round seven.

It was between McAdoo and Gilmore for my last pick.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

McAdoo I view as the Gale Sayers of the NBA.

At his peak was one of if not the best center in the NBA. The only problem is that peak only lasts five years and beyond that you have nothing to go on.

That's a fair assessment. (To save space, I didn't quote the entire thing.) But I would counter that McAdoo had some very good years outside his five best as well as a "second career" as a very good 6th man on those championship Lakers teams. Sandwiched between the modest early success of those Braves teams, and his time with the Lakers, was a span of playing on mostly bad teams. I can't hold that against him.

My opinion is his career would be seen in a much better light had he played on better teams or in a different era. The 70's were a low watermark in NBA basketball. The game wasn't terribly popular back then and I think that hurt the legacy of of quite a few players. (Remember, this was a time where the Finals were shown on tape delay.) Anyway, I think I got great value with him in round seven.

It was between McAdoo and Gilmore for my last pick.

Gilmore was a player I really hoped to pick up. Hell, he's why I named my team the Kentucky Colonels. I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason, when my pick came up in that round, I thought Gilmore had been drafted already. I never bothered to check and I just grabbed Lanier. It's not like Lanier is awful or anything, but I had both Gilmore and Nate Thurmond rated ahead of him. Guess I should have paid more attention. That Lanier pick is going to bug me from here on out. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Artis I have no clue why it took so long to put him in the HOF.

I didn't say much about him when he was drafted, but he's a guy that I feel gets nowhere near the amount of respect he deserves. He's remembered as this Dikembe Mutombo type player but that's not who he was at all. Gilmore had tremendous post moves. You didn't see them much because he would only take maybe 10-15 shots a game, but he was as smooth and athletic as anybody I've ever seen down low. Artis could have averaged 25+ a night had he taken more shots. The problem was the Bulls of the 1970's were the greatest High School basketball team in the world. If the NBA didn't have a shot clock they may have even would have won a title or two. Had Gimore played for a team like the Nuggets or Detroit in the 70's he would probably be looking at a career PPG average 2-3 points higher. By the time he got into a better situation offensively with the Spurs, he was on the downside of his career and wasn't quite the same player he was earlier, but was still one of the games best big men without question.

What I've seen the guy was solid in the post on offense, great rebounder, somewhere between above average and good in terms of guarding guys one on one, great shot blocker.

Overall for centers I actually had Artis Gilmore ranked 8th. (George Mikan omitted) There's alot of guys who I think people take for granted as being better then Artis such as David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Tim Duncan, but if you look at Gilmore's numbers he's right there with any of those players in terms of career averages, overall numbers, dominance at the peak, which is why I wonder to why it took so long for him to get in the Hall, because I hear no argument against David Robinson, Patrick Ewing or Tim Duncan for their HOF cases.

Gentlemen: I am on a plane for the better part of the afternoon and then I have to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Key West this evening. I'll be checking in throughout but there's still a chance that I can't make a pick until later tonight. If my pick comes up by then anyway...

BB52Big.jpg

Am I overvaluing Dave Bing? How was he still there with some of the people being taken?

I had him as a top 100 borderline type player so him going at 93 is about right.

People are just dialing in on the modern era and have stopped altogether at looking at guys that started prior to 1990. Those that haven't are going to get great value picks like Bill Sharman (4-time NBA first team) and Dan Issel (another forgotten ABA name that was dominating at his peak).

I'm pretty much drafting on players from when I watched the NBA and that I feel I have a good grasp on. I can't evaluate non-legends from the pre-90's game too accurately outside of bare stat sheets.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Am I overvaluing Dave Bing? How was he still there with some of the people being taken?

I had him as a top 100 borderline type player so him going at 93 is about right.

People are just dialing in on the modern era and have stopped altogether at looking at guys that started prior to 1990. Those that haven't are going to get great value picks like Bill Sharman (4-time NBA first team) and Dan Issel (another forgotten ABA name that was dominating at his peak).

I'm counting on it. B) Bing was going to be my next pick if he was still there. Had Dan Issel on my list as well. Anyway, I'm in transit again. I have a three hour layover in Atlanta tomorrow so if I'm up by then, I can make my pick between 1-4pm. After that, I'm unavailable until around 9-9:30 tomorrow night.

BB52Big.jpg

I am shocked Bradley lasted so long, he was a great player as it was. If the three pointer existed way back when he would have been an assassin from downtown.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm pretty much drafting on players from when I watched the NBA and that I feel I have a good grasp on. I can't evaluate non-legends from the pre-90's game too accurately outside of bare stat sheets.

Exactly, I'm only gonna take the old guys I've heard of or are the obvious pick, but I can't analyze the "pre three-pointer" guys because I can't even comprehend basketball without a 3-point line. I'll stick to the players I know, its all in fun anyways

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Here's what I'm looking at so far. Pretty happy with who I've been doing.

PG - Magic Johnson

SG - Earl Monroe

SF - James Worthy

PF - Dennis Rodman

C - David Robinson

Amare Stoudemire

Bill Sharman

PG - Tim Hardaway

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Colonels starting five...

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

F - Elvin Hayes

F - John Havilcek

G - George Gervin

G - Lenny Wilkens

6th man - Bob McAdoo

Bench - Bob Lanier, Sidney Moncrief

By my count, my team has 83 All-Star game appearances, 17 Championship rings, and 7 MVPs. We also have four of the top 20 scorers of all-time (five in the top 50) and two of the top 20 rebounders all-time (three in the top 40.) Lenny Wilkens is number 11 all-time in assists, and here's one I didn't know, Kareem is 35th all-time in assists.

We aren't going to produce a lot of Sportscenter type highlights or alley oops, (well, Sidney Moncrief might pull off a dunk or two) but I like our chances against anyone.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived