All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

Marion kind of felt like a stretch because after his peak he's never quite been a big contributor type, always more of a role player since leaving Phoenix, but looking at his Win Shares and what not, he compares really well to a lot of players taken already, some as early as the 2nd round.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marion kind of felt like a stretch because after his peak he's never quite been a big contributor type, always more of a role player since leaving Phoenix, but looking at his Win Shares and what not, he compares really well to a lot of players taken already, some as early as the 2nd round.

Yeah but the same could be said about virtually every player outside of the top 30. Basketball players generally don't last that long. Its very rare to get a guy that can be a superstar past the age of 30.

There's a few Alex English's out there who were late bloomers, but far more players have career tracks like Walt Bellamy. And Marion had seven very good bordering on great seasons with the Suns. The only thing he doesn't do well is pass. But solid shooter, solid one on one defender, solid rebounder. He should be starting for somebody at SF, not on my bench because I have him 12 for SF's.

Yeah but the same could be said about virtually every player outside of the top 30. Basketball players generally don't last that long. Its very rare to get a guy that can be a superstar past the age of 30.

What are your thoughts on Sidney Moncrief? I thought I got pretty good value on him in round 8.

BB52Big.jpg

What are your thoughts on Sidney Moncrief? I thought I got pretty good value on him in round 8.

I had him right around 100. Again goes back to that 3 year peak versus career argument. 3 year peak wise he's easily in the top 75 or so. Probably could even justify him as a starter under that criteria. At his peak you could have made the argument that he was the best SG in the game. Career wise, he has six years and then he's effectively done. I look him roughly the same way as I would Nate Archibald.

I'm thrilled to get Wes Unseld in the 9th round. Especially since I was considering taking him as early as the 4th round. Great rebounder and great passer.

I could have sworn he was gone already. I know I had considered taking him a lot earlier (probably around the 5th), and had just thought someone had picked him up between then.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm thrilled to get Wes Unseld in the 9th round. Especially since I was considering taking him as early as the 4th round. Great rebounder and great passer.

I could have sworn he was gone already. I know I had considered taking him a lot earlier (probably around the 5th), and had just thought someone had picked him up between then.

Same here. I read the spreadsheet about 30 times to make sure and he wasn't listed.

EDIT: Just read through every pick in the selections thread, somehow Wes Unseld lasted until the 9th round. Thanks youngsters! B)

BB52Big.jpg

If we're doing the whole trade thing, I've got 3 great PGs (2 of the top 3 all time assist leaders (Kidd and Mark Jackson)) in addition to one of the best in the game currently (CP3). I'd look to trade for a swingman for some bench scoring or a big man. Let me know.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Connie Hawkins is one the game's biggest tragedies. Done in by corrupt politicians, crooked lawyers, the beginning of the NCAA's power grab to take control of amateur athletics away from the AAU and I think a general bitterness over the fact that he went to Iowa over a bunch of the east coast programs like many felt he should have.

You never got to see what he could do at his peak. You just got a small taste of it in his first couple of years in the ABA and with the Suns.

I consider a player like that to be unrankable. I can't put him anywhere that would give him do justice in comparison with his peers of the time. Its a shame to, but it happens sometimes. Not the first player who's career was done in by circumstance as opposed to injury, age or lack of talent, and I doubt he will be the last either.

Connie Hawkins is one the game's biggest tragedies. Done in by corrupt politicians, crooked lawyers, the beginning of the NCAA's power grab to take control of amateur athletics away from the AAU and I think a general bitterness over the fact that he went to Iowa over a bunch of the east coast program like many felt he should have.

You never got to see what he could do at his peak. You just got a small taste of it in his first couple of years in the ABA and with the Suns.

I consider a player like that to be unrankable. I can't put him anywhere that would give him do justice in comparison with his peers of the time. Its a shame to, but it happens sometimes. Not the first player who's career was done in by circumstance as opposed to injury, age or lack of talent, and I doubt he will be the last either.

Couldn't agree more. It's a damned shame that we never got to the the Connie Hawkins of legend.

BB52Big.jpg

That's a big thing... a lot of it is speculative. He was an international star on a team of pros at 19, but then had the knee injuries, and brought a different skill set to the NBA by a big man when he was finally allowed to come over... it's just a shame he was basically shot, physically.

Here's the whole Spurs team so far.

Starters

Reggie Miller-SG

Jerry West-PG

Bill Walton-C

LeBron James-SF

Tom Heinsohn-PF/C

Bench

Chauncey Billups-SG/PG

Tony Parker-PG

Larry Johnson-PF

Sam Jones-G/SF

Paul Arizin-SF

I switched Heinsohn and Johnson because statistic, championship and all-star game wise, he was better. Sam Jones was good, but I can't take LeBron out of my starting lineup like that.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived