All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a really cool draft. It's been interesting seeing how differently we all value the players we're picking. For instance, I think Mania stole Connie Hawkins buy managing to score him so late. Then there's Pete Maravich going in the top ten. And so on...

So far, I don't think there's one team that's significantly better than all the others. And there's still quite a bit of talent left out there.

BB52Big.jpg

This has been a really cool draft. It's been interesting seeing how differently we all value the players we're picking. For instance, I think Mania stole Connie Hawkins buy managing to score him so late. Then there's Pete Maravich going in the top ten. And so on...

So far, I don't think there's one team that's significantly better than all the others. And there's still quite a bit of talent left out there.

I agree completely. I think every one of these teams could compete against eachother and put up a fight. And there is plenty of great players of today and yesterday that are still availible. We need to do this again in a couple of years when some new stars emerge, and new hall of famers are inducted.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Did I just get the guy who's number 13 all-time in rebounding in the tenth round? Why yes, it would appear that I did. B)

How did Buck Williams last this long?

Because you're old :P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Did I just get the guy who's number 13 all-time in rebounding in the tenth round? Why yes, it would appear that I did. B)

I don't know either. After Richie Guerin I think he's the next best player not in the HOF.

Had I not already taken Jerry Lucas I would have picked Williams in the last round. He would have been my choice for the 11th guy on my bench had he fallen to me. He was the last top 50 player I had on the board. Throwing out 50's players I had him 35th overall sandwiched in between George Gervin and Dominique Wilkins. Buck Williams had a very lengthy career and at his peak I think was the best power forward in the game. Good one on one defender, great rebounder, good scorer. The only con to his game and I'm nitpicking here was that he was a poor outlet passer. But for the main skills your looking for in a big man he was more then proficient in all of them.

As for the xmas holidays. My view is if you can pick pick, but I'm not going to get on anyone's case for taking more then 24hrs. If its your turn and you can't make a pick until at least Monday then so be it. Just go have fun with your family. This is not that important. I myself am probably going to check once on Christmas eve and Christmas to see if its my turn if I haven't picked by then and if its not then so be it. I've been much more satisfied with the rate of this draft as opposed to the MLB draft, especially for this time of month which is crazy for just about everybody. There's only been a couple of times where I've been really frustrated at the pace of things.

I don't know either. After Richie Guerin I think he's the next best player not in the HOF.

Had I not already taken Jerry Lucas I would have picked Williams in the last round. He would have been my choice for the 11th guy on my bench had he fallen to me. He was the last top 50 player I had on the board. Throwing out 50's players I had him 35th overall sandwiched in between George Gervin and Dominique Wilkins. Buck Williams had a very lengthy career and at his peak I think was the best power forward in the game. Good one on one defender, great rebounder, good scorer. The only con to his game and I'm nitpicking here was that he was a poor outlet passer. But for the main skills your looking for in a big man he was more then proficient in all of them.

I think I read the spreadsheet five times just to make sure he was actually available. My humble opinion is that, in Buck Williams, I got the best value of any pick I've made so far. Getting him in round ten more than makes up for how I overvalued Bob Lanier.

BB52Big.jpg

How did Calvin Murphy last until the tenth round?

Going in, I thought that guard was easily the deepest position in the draft. We should be able to do fairly well at guard right up until the end. Still, a pretty nice pick up for your team. Great value for a 10th round pick.

BB52Big.jpg

The New Jersey Nets select two of the best players not in the Hall of Fame.

SF-Chet Walker

chet-walker-300-2-070711.jpg

and SG-Dick Van Arsdale

DickVanArsdale_display_image.jpg?1314810787

Two really great picks. Van Arsdale was my next pick if he was still there. People forget that those early 70's Bulls teams were pretty damned good. Bob Love, Chet Walker, and Norm Van Lier were a very solid nucleus for a good, but mostly forgotten, era of Bulls basketball.

BB52Big.jpg

STARTERS

PG-Jason Kidd

SG-Kobe Bryant

SF-Rick Barry

PF-Larry Bird

C-Willis Reed

BENCH

PG-Chris Paul

C-Vlade Divac

PF/C-Pau Gasol

PG-Mark Jackson

SF-Bob Love

SG/SF-Peja Stojakovic

Lots of scoring. Fun times.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived