SF - Marques Johnson

PF - Bryant Reeves

PF - Kevin Love

PF/C - Amare Stoudemire

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of the "how did ____ last this long?" commentary is kind of redundant. Each person drafted their way from a catalog unique to our own NBA experiences. I feel like my team is awesome, but a lot of people would dismiss it because I don't know the ABA legends or early stars of the NBA in the 70's and early 80's. We're talking about countless hundreds of players who are some of the greatest of all time, to say that *great player 386/950* lasted until the 12th round doesn't work. They're there because chances are extremely high nobody knows who the hell he is.

Kind of like you're dismissing my comment? There's no need to get all condescending about it. It's a fantasy draft. "How did so and so last so long" is going to happen; a lot. Sorry of it bugs you. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's fair to wonder how a guy who is rated as high as 97th all-time on some SABR lists lasted until the 12th round.

Trust me, anyone who knows even a little bit about the NBA knows who Mark Aguirre is. The guy only won two rings as a team mate of one of your centers.

I wasn't intending to be condescending, sorry if that's the way it came across. I've just heard that "how did ___ last this long?" since round 1 and it's kind of tiresome.

As I said before, it comes with the territory. I guess I'm a little confused as to why it bugs you. It's not personal. No one is saying "wow, CS85 sure is a dumbass for not taking so and so in round whatever."

I never took it personally. You said it yourself, it's all in fun.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think a lot of the "how did ____ last this long?" commentary is kind of redundant. Each person drafted their way from a catalog unique to our own NBA experiences. I feel like my team is awesome, but a lot of people would dismiss it because I don't know the ABA legends or early stars of the NBA in the 70's and early 80's. We're talking about countless hundreds of players who are some of the greatest of all time, to say that *great player 386/950* lasted until the 12th round doesn't work. They're there because chances are extremely high nobody knows who the hell he is.

Kind of like you're dismissing my comment? There's no need to get all condescending about it. It's a fantasy draft. "How did so and so last so long" is going to happen; a lot. Sorry of it bugs you. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's fair to wonder how a guy who is rated as high as 97th all-time on some SABR lists lasted until the 12th round.

Trust me, anyone who knows even a little bit about the NBA knows who Mark Aguirre is. The guy only won two rings as a team mate of one of your centers.

I wasn't intending to be condescending, sorry if that's the way it came across. I've just heard that "how did ___ last this long?" since round 1 and it's kind of tiresome.

As I said before, it comes with the territory. I guess I'm a little confused as to why it bugs you. It's not personal. No one is saying "wow, CS85 sure is a dumbass for not taking so and so in round whatever."

I never took it personally. You said it yourself, it's all in fun.

It's all good. I just wanted to make sure. I'll be the first to admit that I've asked the "how did so and so last so long" question more than a few times. When you're my age and you remember all these players, it's pretty amazing that some of them lasted as long as they did. Mania sent me a couple names today of players who are still out there. One of them, if he lasts, is going to floor everyone.

BB52Big.jpg

My Top Undrafted Team:

Starters:

C Dave Cowens

PF Spencer Haywood

SF Billy Cunningham

SG Cliff Hagan

PG Rajon Rondo

Bench:

PG/SG Micheal Ray Richardson

SF Gus Johnson

SG Joe Johnson

PG Slater Martin

C Ben Wallace

C/PF Ed Macauley

SF Bobby Jones

I am just floored that Cowens went undrafted. My guess is he was one of those players who everyone figured was already drafted or something.

BB52Big.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, your Kentucky Colonels!

Starters:

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

F - Elvin Hayes

F - John Havlicek

G - George Gervin

G - Lenny Wilkens

Bench:

C - Bob Lanier

C - Wes Unseld

F - Bob McAdoo

F - Buck Williams

F - Mark Aguirre

G - Sidney Moncrief

G - Mark Price

BB52Big.jpg

I just couldn't pass up Manute Bol with the final pick and is by far my favorite draft choice.

I don't think its all that crazy to think that Manute Bol might very well have been the greatest defensive player in NBA history. If your definition of a great defensive player is who you want on the floor for one play and your on defense, I don't know if there's a better center out there then Manute Bol. By far and away the greatest shot blocker in NBA history. Nobody else is even close to his block numbers in terms of efficiency. This is a guy who lead the NBA in blocked shots one year and was off the floor more often then he was on it.

The problem however is that while he may have been the greatest defensive player in NBA history, he also may have been the worst offensive player in NBA history. I don't know if there's ever been a center more inept in the post with the ball then Manute Bol. Taking out his three pointers this is a guy who barely cracked 43% from the field. A career turnover to assist ratio of nearly 3 to 1. Never was able to score more then 4 points a game throughout his NBA career. You wonder if sometimes his teams would have been better off just playing with four guys on offense and just keeping him down on the other end of the floor.

Still what I look for in a 12th man he fits perfectly. No team looks much past their 10th guy on the bench, so playing time is simply a non issue with him. I would doubt he would average above 3 minutes a game if these teams were to ever play each other and doubt he would play in more then 75% of the games. His contributions will be basically to push Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Pettit and the rest of the 1st team in practice, provide moral support on the bench and just be a great teammate in general. His also going to be a very nice weapon to have if my team needs a last second stop. If Manute Bol is in the game and all he is focusing on is defense, there is zero chance of an easy layup.

And yes I would line him up for a three every chance I would get in a game.

He's also somebody I really would have liked to have seen had he learned how to play the game properly. Granted given his frame size he would never be able to be playing 30+ minutes a night over an 82 game season, but if he had more knowledge on defense with what to do and a much better understanding of the game offensively he would have caused all sorts of havoc whenever he was on the floor.

My Top Undrafted Team:

Starters:

C Dave Cowens

PF Spencer Haywood

SF Billy Cunningham

SG Cliff Hagan

PG Rajon Rondo

Bench:

SF Gus Johnson

SG Joe Johnson

PG Slater Martin

C Ben Wallace

C/PF Ed Macauley

SF Bobby Jones

I am just floored that Cowens went undrafted. My guess is he was one of those players who everyone figured was already drafted or something.

If it means anything, I was going to draft Cowens as my team's cab driver.

I actually thought about drafting Cowens in like the 8th or 9th round, but forgot about him. Then I assumed he had to have been drafted by the time I picked again.

My Top Undrafted Team:

Starters:

C Dave Cowens

PF Spencer Haywood

SF Billy Cunningham

SG Cliff Hagan

PG Rajon Rondo

Bench:

SF Gus Johnson

SG Joe Johnson

PG Slater Martin

C Ben Wallace

C/PF Ed Macauley

SF Bobby Jones

If it means anything, I was going to draft Cowens as my team's cab driver.

I actually thought about drafting Cowens in like the 8th or 9th round, but forgot about him. Then I assumed he had to have been drafted by the time I picked again.

Nice. Well done. B)

BB52Big.jpg

San Antonio Spurs Final Roster

brand.gif

Starters

PG- Jerry West

SG- Reggie Miller

SF- LeBron James

PF- Tom Heinsohn

C- Bill Walton

Bench

PG- Tony Parker

PG- Chauncey Billups

SG- Sam Jones

SG/SF- Paul Arizin

SF- Gerald Wallace

PF- Larry Johnson

PF/C- Al Horford

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Chicago_Bulls_1966.png

FINAL ROSTER

Starting Lineup

PG- John Stockton: 13.1 PPG, 10.5 APG, 2.7 RPG, 51.5 career FG%

SG- Tracy McGrady: 20.4 PPG, 4.6 APG, 5.8 RPG, 42.5 career FG%

SF- Grant Hill: 18.1 PPG, 4.5 APG, 6.5 RPG, 48.5 career FG%

PF- Karl Malone: 25.0 PPG, 3.6 APG, 10.1 RPG, 51.6 career FG%

C- Moses Malone: 20.3 PPG, 1.3 APG, 12.3 RPG, 49.5 career FG%

Bench

PG- Kevin Johnson: 17.5 PPG, 9.1 APG, 3.3 RPG, 49.3 career FG%

SF- Danny Granger: 18.2 PPG, 2.1 APG, 5.3 RPG, 44.1 career FG%

PF- Chris Bosh: 20.0 PPG, 2.1 APG, 9.2 RPG, 49.3 career FG%

C- Alonzo Mourning: 17.1 PPG, 1.1 APG, 8.5 RPG, 52.7 career FG%

SG- Kevin Martin: 18.5 PPG, 2.0 APG, 3.5 RPG, 44.6 career FG%

F/G- Scott Wedman: 13.2 PPG, 2.0 APG, 4.8 RPG, 48.1 career FG%

G/F- Richard Hamilton: 17.6 PPG, 3.5 APG, 3.2 RPG, 45.0 career FG%

25yzwqg.png

And I could probably set up the WhatIfSports, but I'd need everyone to list the desired season of all twelve of their players.

Count me in. Should we send the seasons we want to use via PM or just post them here?

BB52Big.jpg

And I could probably set up the WhatIfSports, but I'd need everyone to list the desired season of all twelve of their players.

Count me in. Should we send the seasons we want to use via PM or just post them here?

Doesn't matter.

But I'm having some trouble. I've already made my team, and I hit "join SimLeague". From here, I have no clue where to go. Drafting the teams was easy, but the rest might as well be in Russian.

25yzwqg.png

Well this is the team I want.

Starters

C-Wilt Chamberlain '60-'61 (32 mins)

PF-Bob Pettit '61-'62 (24 mins)

SF-Shawn Marion '02-'03 (18 mins)

SG-Hal Greer '63-'64 (29 mins)

PG-Bob Cousy '52-'53 (28 mins)

Bench

PF-Jerry Lucas '65-'66 (24 mins)

PG-Maurice Cheeks '85-'86 (20 mins)

SG-Dick Van Arsdale '66-'67 (19 mins)

SF-Chet Walker '65-'66 (16 mins)

SF-Vince Carter '99-'00 (14 mins)

C-Robert Parish '88-'89 (13 mins)

C-Manute Bol '85-'86 (3 mins)

Bulletsbook.jpg

STARTING LINEUP:

C - #32 Shaquille O'Neal (1999-2000)

PF - #21 Tim Duncan (2001-2002)

SF - #34 Paul Pierce (2002-2003)

SG - #4 Joe Dumars (1990-1991)

PG - #3 Allen Iverson (2001-2002)

BENCH:

C - #43 Brad Daugherty (1990-1991)

PF/C - #84 Chris Webber (1998-1999)

PF/C - #42 Connie Hawkins (1967-1968 if ABA seasons are allowed, otherwise 1969-1970)

SF - #10 Joe Fulks (1946-1947 if BAA seasons are allowed, otherwise 1950-1951)

SG - #2 Mitch Richmond (1991-1992)

PG - #7 Nate Archibald (1972-1973)

PG/SG/SF - #1 Anfernee Hardaway (1995-1996)

Bulletsbook.jpg

STARTING LINEUP:

C - #32 Shaquille O'Neal (1999-2000)

PF - #21 Tim Duncan (2001-2002)

SF - #34 Paul Pierce (2002-2003)

SG - #4 Joe Dumars (1990-1991)

PG - #3 Allen Iverson (2001-2002)

BENCH:

C - #43 Brad Daugherty (1990-1991)

PF/C - #84 Chris Webber (1998-1999)

PF/C - #42 Connie Hawkins (1967-1968 if ABA seasons are allowed, otherwise 1969-1970)

SF - #10 Joe Fulks (1946-1947 if BAA seasons are allowed, otherwise 1950-1951)

SG - #2 Mitch Richmond (1991-1992)

PG - #7 Nate Archibald (1972-1973)

PG/SG/SF - #1 Anfernee Hardaway (1995-1996)

You'll need to choose either 51-52, 52-53, or 53-54 for Fulks. For now, I'll draft the 51-52 Fulks for you because that's the best of those three years statistically. But if you want me to change that, let me know.

25yzwqg.png

Well, I can't do a SimLeague because it costs money. So maybe I'll just do match-ups, or can someone else afford to make a league?

By the way, the match-up software is great. I adjusted my depth chart and pmoehrin's according to the minutes played he suggested. I did two best of seven serie: one where all games were played in the United Center, and another where the games were played at the IZOD Center. The Bulls one their home series 4-1, and they swept the away series 4-0. Sorry, pmoehrin. :D

Here is an example of a SimMatchup box score.

EDIT: Just did the same with mania's Bullets. Bulls win both serie 4-1.

And in the Nets-Bullets serie, the Nets won 4-3 when at home, but the Bullets won 4-2 when at home.

25yzwqg.png

Archived