All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

I don't know how Stockton was still there, I was really hoping he would fall to me. Whatever I'll make my pick soon

After Cousy I had Stockton in a virtual dead heat with another player for next best available PG.

As for the Barry pick, your going to have to move Bird over PF or bench Barry. Barry was a pure SF for his career.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the 3s are belong to MDC.

I assume you plan on using either he or Bird at the 4.

Yeah pretty much. I figure I'd rather get the best available player rather than reach for a center or a point guard. We can trade people right? If so, Rick Barry is available for a good PG or C

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Damn you anyway Tank. I almost took Walt Frazier with my last pick but I couldn't pass up Havlicek. Rick Barry was high on my list as well. Back to the drawing board. I've still got a few surprises to drop on you guys.

I kicked around the idea of taking Iverson but I'm sticking to my 70's & 80's plan.

BB52Big.jpg

What sucks with this draft is there are a ton of guys from the 1950's that I would love to take that I think are as good as any modern player, but I know if my next pick is someone like Gene Shue the reaction from most people is going to be who the hell is that, or they've heard of the guy but don't know much about him, so I'm finding myself drawing alot of slashmarks through guys I have very highly rated.

I know people know guys like Mikan, Cousy and Russell but I'm too afraid with anybody else to take that kind of a chance. If come round nine I see some guys I really like on the board I'll pull the trigger, but Bob Cousy is the last guy from the 1950's I think that's going to get drafted for awhile, but who knows. There's one guy I could see going in the next few picks but somebody would have to be willing to take a chance people have heard of him. If somebody drafts him I'll defend the choice, but it won't be me picking him.

I just got probably the last great big man availible who is an NBA legend. Bill Walton.

College legend definately.

I think the only reason people consider him an NBA legend though is because they still have images of him in his UCLA uniform fresh in their memory. He basically has two years where hes a dominant player. Take out his 76-77 season and 77-78 season your left with a guy that averaged 11.3 points a game, 9.3 rebounds a game and was healthy less then 40% of the time.

For his college career I thought he deserved to be in the Hall of Fame, but he had no business being on that top 50 list and had he been a no name guy drafted in the second round (ie. Ben Wallace) and had the same type of career he did, he would be nothing more then a footnote in NBA history.

What sucks with this draft is there are a ton of guys from the 1950's that I would love to take that I think are as good as any modern player, but I know if my next pick is someone like Gene Shue the reaction from most people is going to be who the hell is that, or they've heard of the guy but don't know much about him, so I'm finding myself drawing alot of slashmarks through guys I have very highly rated.

Pick who you want. Who gives a damn what we think of it? For what it's worth, I think you do a great job of explaining and justifying your picks. Don't let a bunch of goofballs like us keep you from drafting the team you want.

I just got probably the last great big man availible who is an NBA legend. Bill Walton. Here's how the team is shaping up so far.

Nope. There are quite a few great big men left.

BB52Big.jpg

Pick who you want. Who gives a damn what we think of it? For what it's worth, I think you do a great job of explaining and justifying your picks. Don't let a bunch of goofballs like us keep you from drafting the team you want.

I just don't want to turn this into a history lesson type of thing and its not like anything I can't work around.

I just don't want to end up with a team entirely composed of 50's and 60's guys half of whom nobody knows and if I just did my rankings straight up that's probably what would wind up happening.

The top guys of that era people know, but its those second and third tier guys that I think most people have no clue about and I have to give a complete bio on somebody in order to justify the pick, its not worth it.

The Colonels roster.

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

C - Bob Lanier

C/F Wes Unseld

F - Elvin Hayes

F - John Havlicek

F - Bob McAdoo

F - Buck Williams

G - George Gervin

G - Lenny Wilkens

G - Sidney Moncrief

G - Mark Price

F/G - Mark Aguirre

kareem.jpgHayes.jpghondo.jpgIce.jpglenny.jpgLanier.jpgMcAdoo.jpgWes.jpgSid.jpgBuck.jpg

I am really liking the way my team is shaping up. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Well, the rosters, as drafted (always can be changed with a mention) are on Sheet 3 of the spreadsheet :)

Yeah, but we can put up pictures and logos and be total geeks with a rosters thread. That's why I wanted to have one anyway. B)

Let's put it to the owners: do we want a rosters thread just so we can geek out?

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not sure how were doing other positions but these are the guys who I think should qualify for multiple positions.

4. Magic Johnson PG/SG

9. Larry Bird SF/PF

16. Tim Duncan PF/C

26. Bob Pettit PF/C

37. Allen Iverson SG/PG

42. Paul Pierce SF/SG

We could go with how they're listed at Basketball-Reference.com. For example: Havlicek is listed as F/G there.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not sure how were doing other positions but these are the guys who I think should qualify for multiple positions.

4. Magic Johnson PG/SG

9. Larry Bird SF/PF

16. Tim Duncan PF/C

26. Bob Pettit PF/C

37. Allen Iverson SG/PG

42. Paul Pierce SF/SG

We could go with how they're listed at Basketball-Reference.com. For example: Havlicek is listed as F/G there.

Yeah but at no point in his career was he ever a starting guard on the Celtics. Everyone on that list I can point to at least a couple of seasons where they started at that secondary position for a majority of the games they played in.

While there are a few of us here and the thread is pretty active...

I'd really like to avoid another 4 picks in three days stretch like the one we experienced over the weekend. I propose that we institute a six hour notification rule. Once you're on the clock, you have six hours to either pick or notify us that you're having issues. If you notify us that there might be a problem, at least we'll know what's going on and we can plan accordingly. If the six hours pass without a pick or explanation, you get skipped and the draft will proceed. You can jump in and pick as soon as you're able to.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

It sucks when this thing grinds to a halt. We should address it.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived