Pedro Martinez in an Montreal Expo uniform...

amare32

I want to buy a Montreal Expo road uniform before they go the way of the dinosaurs. My intent is to have it customized, probably w/ one of Pedro Martinez, Vlad Guerrero and Jose Vidro.

I'm leaning towards Pedro, but I'd like to verify that the Russell Athletic jerseys the Expos wear today are the same as those Pedro wore. In particular, I would like to confirm that Russell was the manufacturer back in the day, and that the MLB logo that's featured on the back neckline of today's jerseys was also in place when Pedro played for MON.

If anyone can share a recollection or, better yet, photographic evidence of the Pedro-era ('94-'97) Expo uniform, I'd appreciate it. Also, if there were any uniform patches that Pedro might have worn on his Expo jersey, that'd be valuable information, too. If the current jersey is substantially different from the old jersey, I'll probably go w/ Vlad.

Many thanks!

BTW, I found this one, purportedly a jersey worn by Pedro in '95 spring training. Note that it's manufactured by Russell, but that there's no MLB logo on the back. Assuming it's authentic, half my mystery is solved. The question then becomes -- when did MLB start putting their logo on the back of the jersey? If it happened before Pedro's move to the BoSox after the '97 season, then I should be good to go.

pedrojer.jpg

Also note that the old jersey has the "Diamond Collection" logo on the bottom, whereas the modern jersey has the "MLB Authentic" tag. Anyone know when MLB started labeling unis w/ the "MLB Authentic" tag?

pMLB1-1309065reg.jpg

Well, Pedro was with the Washington Senat.... err... I mean Montreal Expos from 94 to 97. According to Chris Creamer, they had THIS special Jackie Robinson patch on 1997. CLICK HERE

(The only thing special about it is the french)

MLB was still using the "Diamond Colelction" back then and yes, like the others said the MLB logo was added in 2000, along with the Russell logo underneath the patch on the left sleeve. Right guys? :P

Archived