LeGooo

2011-12 NBA Season

Is the draft really a great way to build an NBA franchise? How many recent NBA champions have been built through the draft? you may need or want a real star out of the draft, but teams that get stuck in the lottery get stuck in the lottery it seems to me, until the can pull off a huge trade of the Garnett or Paul level. It seems to me that in the NBA 2 great players will almost always beat 5 good ones over the course of a season.

Ive always been of the belief that teams that win do so because they develop their talent well.

Lottery positioning I believe has very little to do with it because any given year there's going to be at least 3 guys going in the top ten who will one day be NBA all-stars. The talent is there. Its impossible to miss talent if your picking in the top 10 year in and year out. The players that do go that early and don't become all-stars are usually only going to a handful of teams. The teams that win year in and year out are still usually able to pick up late round steals. Maybe they don't draft all-stars but they can usually fill out their bench with solid role players in the second round, while others may not even have their second round pick suit up in the NBA.

I'm believer in the idea that certain teams should try to win now even if they are in last place if it becomes obvious they don't know how to draft. If your in the lottery for five straight years, go out make a trade for an established superstar or sign somebody. Something is lacking in your organization that is preventing you from winning. What that is exactly I don't know, but maybe its because your team has no established locker room voice its preventing the players your drafting from really learning what it takes to play in the NBA. You probably won't win a title doing that but it might get you over that hump of being in rebuilding mode forever. The two examples that come to mind of teams that I think finally admitted that and made that switch were the Hawks and Celtics.

I'd pretty much agree with that 2nd paragraph. I wonder how much judgement comes into the point you make in the first paragraph though. At least judgement of basketball talent. It seems to me some players work hard to get every ounce of talent they can out of them, others are content to be in the NBA and where a shooting shirt on the bench night in night out. (same in other pro sports).

I'd pretty much agree with that 2nd paragraph. I wonder how much judgement comes into the point you make in the first paragraph though. At least judgement of basketball talent. It seems to me some players work hard to get every ounce of talent they can out of them, others are content to be in the NBA and where a shooting shirt on the bench night in night out. (same in other pro sports).

You may miss a player here or there, but its not hard to identify a guy who has talent. Somebody with size, solid fundamentals, and or good speed is always easy to find.

Even the mental issues are alot easier to uncover then you would think. I knew Michael Beasley had no work ethic coming out of college and I never even met the guy and hardly watched him play. But when you have four different people in the know talk about how lazy he is that's all you need to hear.

Teams take chances on guys like that anyway hoping the mental problems work themselves out but if you don't have a strong local room it probably never will. I would say at the pro level its about 90% raw talent, 10% hard work in terms of how successful a player will be. That means you have alot more room for varience in the work rate department then you do the talent department. I much rather draft a guy with mental issues then go with somebody who has a talent ceiling and so would every NBA scout I've ever talked to. That's just how it works. You really want to use an early first round pick on Jimmer Fredette knowing all he is ever going to do is chuck up threes? He might have very well been the hardest working player coming out of draft. I can tell you right now he has no chance of ever being anything more then a role player at the NBA level though.

At the same time though you can't build a team around lazy guys with pure raw talent, because the NBA's elites (Kobe, LeBron, Dwight Howard, CP3, Derrick Rose) they usually are not only the most talented but also the hardest workers. Talent may be by far and away the better characteristic you look for compared to hard work, but you need both to be elite at the NBA level. College you can still get by if your only great at one.

Kenyon Martin is now available to NBA teams, a couple weeks earlier than expected. Looks like the Heat, Clippers, and Hawks are vying for his services.

Kenyon Martin is now available to NBA teams, a couple weeks earlier than expected. Looks like the Heat, Clippers, and Hawks are vying for his services.

Isn't he not allowed to play til mid-Feb when the Chinese league season ends?

The CBA was going to keep him out until then, but the FIBA stepped in and overruled them.

The All-Star starters have been announced

West:

Chris Paul

Kobe Bryant

Kevin Durant

Blake Griffin

Andrew Bynum

East:

Derrick Rose

Dwyane Wade

Carmelo Anthony

LeBron James

Dwight Howard

The All-Star starters have been announced

West:

Chris Paul

Kobe Bryant

Kevin Durant

Blake Griffin

Andrew Bynum

East:

Derrick Rose

Dwyane Wade

Carmelo Anthony

LeBron James

Dwight Howard

It's disappointing that 4 of the 5 starters from the Western Conference are from Los Angeles teams. I'm 100% in homer mode right now, but it would have been really cool to see Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio in there instead of Paul and Griffin. The Clippers aren't the only ones throwing lobs down. Oh well, I'm confident that Love and to a lesser degree Rubio will get in as subs.

/endhomermode

Kevin Love definitely should have been a starter. He's 4th in the league in scoring and 2nd in rebounding. He's a lock for a reserve spot though. Most of the East was a given. The only spot that was open was the second forward spot which went to Carmelo.

Love should no doubt be the West starter at PF, but theres no way Rubio should be in the starting line up

Griffin + CP3 = the Western Lobference team. Man, I'm souped for All-Star Weekend.

Now can LeBron please do the dunk contest this year? That'd be amazing.

How does Bynum get a starter role? Is the Center position that weak in the West?

How does Bynum get a starter role? Is the Center position that weak in the West?

The Chinese had no clue who to vote for.

Well when DeAndre Jordan is second in the voting for centers with his 8 points and 8 boards a game, I'm gonna say there may have been some ballot stuffing going on.

BTW Daivd Lee still getting no respect. 18 points a game in addition to 10 boards a game and he doesn't even crack the top five in voting for centers.

I hadn't looked but I thought Lee would've been listed as a foward.

I hadn't looked but I thought Lee would've been listed as a foward.

Well he didn't make top 10 for forward either. Although Lamar Odom and his 21 minutes and 8 points a game were good enough to get him 8th in the forward voting.

I have a bad feeling that Al Jefferson or Paul Millsap (or both) are going to get snubbed this year. Hopefully the coaches take a good look at them and see how well they've played this season. I'm not betting that they will, though.

*sigh*

I have a bad feeling that Al Jefferson or Paul Millsap (or both) are going to get snubbed this year. Hopefully the coaches take a good look at them and see how well they've played this season. I'm not betting that they will, though.

*sigh*

I don't know about Milsap, but Jefferson has a really good case as far as being on the All-Star team in my opinion. Another guy nowhere to be found in the final all-star voting tally.

If the NBA wanted to take the fan voting away you would not here me complaining. I didn't think the East voting was too bad, but the West was just flat out atrocious.

If the league took away the fan voting, the teams wouldn't change at all, and then everyone would just whine about Stern instead.

Kenyon Martin is a Clipper.