2011-12 NBA Season

LeGooo

If the organization wants to show they care they should refund at least half of the money season ticket holders spent on going to see them play (think its only fair considering they gave half effort on the year and that may be a kind assessment) and issue a public apology in the Charlotte Observer. If your going to quit on the year like they did, you might as well just save everyone the time and forfeit every game on the year. I don't know if its the worst NBA team I've ever seen, but it might be the most disgraceful in terms of the effort they put forward.

I'm not sure if you remember this but the Bobcats pretty much fired their entire staff because they couldn't afford to pay anyone but the bare essentials of an NBA team. I'm not sure if they can really afford to be so magnanimous. They can barely afford to be.

As for various superlatives relating to their ineptitude, organizationally speaking, they're not doing anything ten out of thirty teams don't do every season, which is tank for draft position and wait out their cap space. They're just losing even more than most.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the organization wants to show they care they should refund at least half of the money season ticket holders spent on going to see them play (think its only fair considering they gave half effort on the year and that may be a kind assessment) and issue a public apology in the Charlotte Observer. If your going to quit on the year like they did, you might as well just save everyone the time and forfeit every game on the year. I don't know if its the worst NBA team I've ever seen, but it might be the most disgraceful in terms of the effort they put forward.

I'm not sure if you remember this but the Bobcats pretty much fired their entire staff because they couldn't afford to pay anyone but the bare essentials of an NBA team. I'm not sure if they can really afford to be so magnanimous. They can barely afford to be.

As for various superlatives relating to their ineptitude, organizationally speaking, they're not doing anything ten out of thirty teams don't do every season, which is tank for draft position and wait out their cap space. They're just losing even more than most.

Its one thing to tank games late in the season. Its another to tank an entire season. And its something the NBA needs to address.

The draft lottery at least as in its current form has failed to do so. I like the lottery system but I think it needs to be rethought. If they wanted to do something like the bottom five teams are ineligible for any top five pick, I would be for that. I've heard the inverse draft lottery suggested. There are alternatives to what the current system is.

In terms the other part I don't think its asking alot to take responsibility as an organization for the team that was fielded this year which was flat out pitiful. I could excuse it more if they tried but they didn't. Maybe they can't afford the season ticket comps. Okay, but I know they can afford to take out a newspaper ad in the Sunday edition. I don't expect them to do a damn thing though, because if the organization actually felt some responsibility to the fans it would mean they would have a clue as to what they were doing, instead of trying to finger a Hall of Fame head coach as the problem.

The draft lottery at least as in its current form has failed to do so. I like the lottery system but I think it needs to be rethought. If they wanted to do something like the bottom five teams are ineligible for any top five pick, I would be for that. I've heard the inverse draft lottery suggested. There are alternatives to what the current system is.

14 teams, 14 ping-pong balls. I fixed it in five words.

And do it in front of everyone if you have nothing to hide.

An inverse draft lottery? Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, or Knicks win the draft lottery every year... yeah, that'd be awesome. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is, the draft is the ONLY way for a lot of teams to get better. If they have to bottom out and tank for a high pick, so be it. It'll be worth it in the long run when the team improves.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think by "inverse draft lottery" he means that the team that finished closest to a playoff berth would be rewarded with the best odds of drafting first while last-place teams would have an infinitesimal shot at it. This makes sense on only the most superficial level--one ought not to reward failure--while crumbling under any further scrutiny than that, namely that the poor would get markedly poorer and it would altogether run teams out of business in a cartel where for the most part everyone would prefer not to altogether run one another out of business. I don't get why we're trying to reinvent the wheel here: the worst teams drafting first is the only way we can have some modicum of competitive balance. The Bobcats certainly aren't the first team to be completely awful.

What about changing the odds? The team that finishes worst has the best odds to win the #1 pick, but those odds aren't so much better than the first team out of the playoffs?

Give everyone the same 7.14% chance at the first pick, if not every pick.

The inverse draft lottery would be horrible. If that were the case, you'd have teams taking not to be in the playoffs rather than just to be the worst team which is much worse for the league.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The inverse draft lottery would be horrible. If that were the case, you'd have teams taking not to be in the playoffs rather than just to be the worst team which is much worse for the league.

See also: 1996-97 San Antonio Spurs

*David Robinson gets injured, San Antonio misses playoffs for the first time in 8 years*

*Wins draft lottery*

*Drafts Tim Duncan*

*Never misses playoffs again, wins 4 NBA titles*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's one of the issues I see with it myself which is why I'm not a huge fan of it.

My thing would just be to just disallow the bottom five teams a shot at any of the top five picks. So Charlotte, Washington, New Orleans, Sacramento and Cleveland would have picks 6-10. Toronto and New Jersey would have the best odds for getting the number one pick. That's the best thing I can come up with to give these last place teams something to play for late in the season.

The straight lottery thing I would be for as well over the current system.

Its one of those things where I think there could be several viable options to solve this.

Solve what? There's not a problem. Even under the current system, Charlotte is most likely to draft fourth.

To me, a team charging full price for tickets and not even trying to win basketball games is something of a problem. I know the obvious solution is to not pay to go to the games, but what does that help?

IUe6Hvh.png

Hey. It's basketball. You can't engineer leaguewide mediocrity. For one reason or another, teams have to suck sometimes.

But do they have to try and suck even more than they otherwise would?

IUe6Hvh.png

To me, a team charging full price for tickets and not even trying to win basketball games is something of a problem. I know the obvious solution is to not pay to go to the games, but what does that help?

The Bobcats are currently getting better attendance than the Bucks (29 wins and vaguely in the East playoff hunt), Pistons (23 wins and usually competitive), and Pacers (41 wins, will be fodder for the Heat or Bulls in the playoffs), and only slightly worse attendance than the Hawks (38 wins and the textbook example of a treadmill team). Why? It's a lot easier to sell hope for a franchise-saving player to the fans than it is to say "come watch us struggle to get the 8th seed and get swept in the first round". Tanking is perfectly fine - small-market fans understand the necessity of tanking, and that's really all that matters.

And by the way, the Bobcats spent YEARS being a decent team and trying to win. They made the playoffs a whopping one time as the seventh seed and got swept. The other years concluded with no playoffs, a late lottery pick, and no real hope for improvement.

xLmjWVv.png

The Bobcats are currently getting better attendance than the Bucks (29 wins and vaguely in the East playoff hunt), Pistons (23 wins and usually competitive), and Pacers (41 wins, will be fodder for the Heat or Bulls in the playoffs), and only slightly worse attendance than the Hawks (38 wins and the textbook example of a treadmill team). Why? It's a lot easier to sell hope for a franchise-saving player to the fans than it is to say "come watch us struggle to get the 8th seed and get swept in the first round". Tanking is perfectly fine - small-market fans understand the necessity of tanking, and that's really all that matters.

And by the way, the Bobcats spent YEARS being a decent team and trying to win. They made the playoffs a whopping one time as the seventh seed and got swept. The other years concluded with no playoffs, a late lottery pick, and no real hope for improvement.

So by the time they get a team around that franchise-saving player and become a contender, he forces his way out of town and they're doing the same dance all over again. Sweet.

IUe6Hvh.png

Not if they build a good enough roster to convince Davis or MKG to stay. The Bobcats have a savvy GM in Rich Cho who could turn the Bobcats into Thunder East... as long as they get a good pick in the draft this year.

And it's not like struggling for a mid-to-low playoff seed helps teams keep their stars, either. The only reason the Hawks were able to keep Joe Johnson, for example, is because they gave him one of the worst albatross contracts in recent memory. Boozer and DWill both left Utah even though the Jazz were usually competitive.

xLmjWVv.png

14 teams, 14 ping-pong balls. I fixed it in five words.

And do it in front of everyone if you have nothing to hide.

Couldn't have said it better myself. With all the tinfoil-hat talk of frozen or otherwise bent-cornered envelopes and hidden ping-pong ball drawings (which may or may not be true), the best way to quash such concerns is to actually show what's going on. Maybe you could reduce the weight to further discourage tanking, but whatever the case, an inverse draft lottery is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of--I hope nobody within the league is even considering such a move.

An inverse draft lottery is not unlike a reverse-Robin Hood type situation that would not only hurt non-competing teams, but would make the problems facing competitive balance in the NBA grow exponentially. The lottery is one of the only things teams with bad records have to look forward to; taking that away and giving to the likes of the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, etc. would put them in a bottomless pit from which they'd never get out. Of course, that might be a good thing to weed out bad owners/management (Bobcats), but why make the path to competitiveness that much harder for bad teams and their fans and that much easier for already good teams?

It makes no sense and would cement the NBA as the major sports league where, quite literally, only the top 5ish teams have any shot whatsoever at a championship. Also, those 5 or so teams capable of winning a ring would go from doing so any given year to every given decade. The current system, despite its flaws, is an infinitely better system than an inverse draft lottery.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Solve what? There's not a problem. Even under the current system, Charlotte is most likely to draft fourth.

I don't think its an absurd demand to say that every team has the obligation to field a competitive team every night and do the best they can. I think that's a reasonable demand to make of any team or person at any level, and if for some reason that's not possible then don't bother playing.

To me if one side is not doing that then you've defeated the entire purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Archived