2011-12 NBA Season

LeGooo

I got news for you, Lil' Boy Blue...your boy Vinny just got the Clip show into the playoffs for the first time in how long? (Sure, they mighta done it in spite of him, but the fact that they even made it in at all is saying something.) He ain't going nowhere.

Yeah, as if CP3 and Griffin weren't actually the only reasons the Clippers made the playoffs. Come on now.

The fact of the matter is, expectations are higher now than just making the playoffs, the team is about to get swept in embarrassing fashion, and Vinny's contract is up in the offseason. I'm thinking they'll let CP3 and BG have a say in picking the next coach.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it as harshly as dwfabel, but the Clippers aren't winning a championship any time soon. In the NBA, teams like the Clippers don't win. They have nice playoff runs (see: Kings, Suns, and Nuggets of the past decade), but they always lose to the Lakers or that decade's analogue. It's just how the league works.

People used to say that about the Mavericks until they finally got a competent coach and a good center.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dallas had won 50 games every season for 11 years. The fact that it took till the 11th year to win a title was a bit of an anomaly. Dallas had a few title-worthy teams in that time, some even more-so than their 2011 squad, in my opinion.

The Clips and the Mavs are completely incomparable. LAC has long been one of the worst organizations not only in the NBA, but in professional sports. Getting wiped out in the 2nd round of the playoffs is damn near a monster accomplishment for them.

spacer.png

LAC has long been one of the worst organizations not only in the NBA, but in professional sports.

Dallas was that, too, until Dirk, Finley, Kidd, and Cuban showed up in the mid-to-late '90s.

Getting wiped out in the 2nd round of the playoffs is damn near a monster accomplishment for them.

No it isn't. The Cassell/Brand team did better in the second round a couple years back, taking the Suns to seven games.

The whole point of the CP3 trade was to win basketball games and raise expectations, eventually competing for a title. Sure, the "old Clippers" didn't go this far in the playoffs very often, but this isn't the old Clippers. The expectations are higher, period. And suffice to say, VDN is clearly in over his head.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah Clipper fans feeling entitled is a new one but you are right Krammerica. Now next year they need to take another step and if they are still playing at this level than maybe you fire Del Negro. I mean now they are expected to challenge the Lakers and expected to win playoff rounds this is a team that for years shocked people to win 30 games.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

LAC has long been one of the worst organizations not only in the NBA, but in professional sports.

Dallas was that, too, until Dirk, Finley, Kidd, and Cuban showed up in the mid-to-late '90s.

You were talking about the Dallas teams of the 2000s, though. Not the teams prior to Cuban's arrival that routinely lost 60-70 games.

People used to say that about the Mavericks until they finally got a competent coach and a good center.

Furthermore, the Clippers had only advanced past the first round ONCE since they moved to LA back in 1984. Even Dallas had won four playoff series and advanced to the Conference Finals once in the span from 1980-1990, and then sucked for ten years straight.

I'm not the kind of person who will forever proclaim a franchise hopeless, especially in the NBA, since I don't have a favorite team, but I can't agree with comparing this era of Clippers basketball (all one year of it) with Dallas' routine disappointing playoff runs. Based on seedings, the Clippers shouldn't even be in the second round.

There's also no shame in getting destroyed by the Spurs at this point in time. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so locked in and unstoppable.

spacer.png

I'm shocked that the Lakers have lost like they have, but man is Durant something special. I can't see the Lakers coming back but am intrigued by a Spurs/Thunder series.

The Clippers best chance for a championship is a new owner. It just isn't going to happen for that franchise. Sometimes you have to come to terms with the real ceiling of your favorite team. It's an unjust world and not every team gets to be a champion.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As someone who doesn't watch basketball regularly (I got into watching the playoffs last year and am watching them again this year, I don't watch the regular season games) I have to say I'm absolutely outraged by the Spurs tactic of intentionally fouling a bad free throw shooter rather than allowing the Clippers to play the game. How such behavior is allowed and isn't called Unsportsmanlike Conduct is beyond me. I'm not invested in either team's success or failure, but as a basketball newbie/casual viewer that completely took all enjoyment out of the game for me. I literally fast-forwarded through the last minutes because I didn't want to watch that garbage, and any respect I had for the Spurs as a team went right out the door with that chicken :censored: tactic. How about playing fair and winning by being the better team 5-on-5 instead? Cowards.

I'm shocked that the Lakers have lost like they have, but man is Durant something special. I can't see the Lakers coming back but am intrigued by a Spurs/Thunder series.

The Clippers best chance for a championship is a new owner. It just isn't going to happen for that franchise. Sometimes you have to come to terms with the real ceiling of your favorite team. It's an unjust world and not every team gets to be a champion.

Shocked because it's so un-Laker like? lol. If you've watched this particular Lakers team, you wouldn't be shocked, just disappointed that it happened again. We've blown leads this whole season.

I, too, am excited/intrigued for the Thunder-Spurs series. I think they're the two best teams in the NBA and I think the winner of that series will win the NBA title. That'll be fun basketball to watch.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'm absolutely outraged by the Spurs tactic of intentionally fouling a bad free throw shooter rather than allowing the Clippers to play the game.

shaq-engaged-to-nicole-alexander.jpg

Me too, man.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As someone who doesn't watch basketball regularly (I got into watching the playoffs last year and am watching them again this year, I don't watch the regular season games) I have to say I'm absolutely outraged by the Spurs tactic of intentionally fouling a bad free throw shooter rather than allowing the Clippers to play the game. How such behavior is allowed and isn't called Unsportsmanlike Conduct is beyond me. I'm not invested in either team's success or failure, but as a basketball newbie/casual viewer that completely took all enjoyment out of the game for me. I literally fast-forwarded through the last minutes because I didn't want to watch that garbage, and any respect I had for the Spurs as a team went right out the door with that chicken :censored: tactic. How about playing fair and winning by being the better team 5-on-5 instead? Cowards.

How is it not playing fair? It's no different than targeting a bad defender, it's just exploiting a weakness in your opponent. If they foul to make Griffin miss free throws, maybe he should learn how to' shoot them instead of complaining.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

If that was a tactic that was done at a 12 and under level I would say its a bit low.

But at the pro level antyhing that the rulebook allows for is fair game and you should be able to make foul shots at that level. Its not like the Clippers don't have a shot to make the strategy backfire.

Yeah, want them to stop doing it? Make the free throws. If you can't make free throws at a regular basis at the professional level, then it's not the other's team fault for exploiting it.

Also, I had a feeling that the Heat were gonna fold like a deck of cards like they did in their last must-win game. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF THE SORT. I think D-Wade had a stretch where he hit 12 consecutive field goals, and LeBron had an absurd statline of 40 pts/18 rebs/9 asts. That hasn't been done in DECADES. Absolutely amazing performance, and while seeing them fold would've been entertaining, seeing LeBron & Wade step their game up like they did was equally entertaining. Never thought that they'd have to do it in a must-win in Round 2 against the freaking Pacers, but they did it.

So, both Eastern Conference Semis are gonna go at least 6 games. I'm glad that they're competitive, but this is more proof that the Spurs are gonna destroy whoever comes out of the East this season. :P

This was a must-game for both teams today in Indy.

The Pacers aren't going to win in Miami twice in this series. They needed to hold on to the home court, and failed. Miami's going to reach the Conference Finals. Now it's just a matter of whether it's rugged Boston or surprising Philly that travel to South Beach.

spacer.png

Saturday Night Live Mocks ESPN's Stephen A. Smith

One of ESPN's biggest problems is the perception that their coverage is biased and the sense that the network takes care of its partners first and covers the rest of the sports second.

There are also a number of personalities on ESPN that feel the need to constantly remind us that they are "friends" with particular athletes. And one of the worst at name-dropping is Stephen A. Smith, something not lost on the folks at Saturday Night Live.

Here is the Weekend Update from this week's show..

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/saturday-night-live-mocks-espns-stephen-a-smith-2012-5#ixzz1vSKIQnUI

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I got news for you, Lil' Boy Blue...your boy Vinny just got the Clip show into the playoffs for the first time in how long? (Sure, they mighta done it in spite of him, but the fact that they even made it in at all is saying something.) He ain't going nowhere.

Yeah, as if CP3 and Griffin weren't actually the only reasons the Clippers made the playoffs. Come on now.

The fact of the matter is, expectations are higher now than just making the playoffs, the team is about to get swept in embarrassing fashion, and Vinny's contract is up in the offseason. I'm thinking they'll let CP3 and BG have a say in picking the next coach.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it as harshly as dwfabel, but the Clippers aren't winning a championship any time soon. In the NBA, teams like the Clippers don't win. They have nice playoff runs (see: Kings, Suns, and Nuggets of the past decade), but they always lose to the Lakers or that decade's analogue. It's just how the league works.

Sadly the Clips dont have either. In fact they just signed a pretty bad center for 4 years/40 million

Damn, was that an ugly third quarter for the Pacers. LeBron and Wade played well, but that was just a pathetic display both on the floor and on the bench.

"Frank, we've only scored 8 points in the first six minutes of the third! What should we do?"

"LOU ADMUNDSON!!!!!!!"

Vogel stuck with the substitutes for way too long in this game. It got close again in the first half when no starters were on the floor, and all the Pacers had to do late in the third and early in the fourth was to hit shots and work inside. But that's not gonna happen when you stick with two starters and Lou Admundson on the floor for that period of time. Admundson's travel late in the third really kept that game from swinging in the Pacers' direction. Instead of having all the momentum, the Pacers lamented a missed opportunity. I understand Vogel wanting to keep the starters fresh, but it just didn't work. West and Hibbert shot a combined 17 times. That's where the Pacers play well. Granted, they each had four fouls, but they needed to play the entire fourth quarter.

I don't see how the Pacers come back and win this series. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that LeBron and Wade have woke up.

6fQjS3M.png

As the Clippers season winds down, let's take a look at some of the better 'LightsOut' quotes from the season:

Posted December 20, 2011 - 18:24

Chill... I'm not going to post about all 66 games, just the notable ones. No need to overreact.

Posted December 30, 2011 - 23:34

Was Vinny del Negro this woeful at rotations and time out usage in Chicago, or is it just more noticeable with the amount of talent the Clippers have (and still lose with)?

Posted December 31, 2011 - 09:11

Sounds about right. He takes timeouts when WE have momentum, not the other team. So dumb.

From what I've gathered over the past year, Del Negro's "coaching" appears to consist of wandering aimlessly on the sidelines and occasionally shouting out bland platitudes like "run the floor". I can't imagine anyone listens to him.

In retrospect, we'd have been better off just keeping Kim Hughes, let alone hiring Dwane Casey instead of VDN.

Posted January 19, 2012 - 10:09

I expected our Jazz contingency to do their updates. cool.gif

In all seriousness, I probably won't post about most non-marquee matchups.

Posted January 31, 2012 - 12:08

He was never going to win a title in Cleveland, let's be realistic now. That organization had no idea how to build a real title contender around LeBron, from Gilbert on down.

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:14

Yep... no defense, no bench, very little coaching. Kill the hype, because the Clippers are a marginal playoff team at best right now.

Archived