Uniform trends that oughta go

johnnysama

In high school football: all-black helmets. 13 AZ high schools used them this year. And even more have used them in the past few years. None are matte, but all are beyond plain.

We have some schools that change seemingly every year and some that don't in re: helmets. Arizona has three helmets in use 20 or more years (Centennial '90, Blue Ridge '84, Mesa Mountain View '83). For those three, I think it's a tradition deal.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let these two examples simply sum up every trend that is wrong with NHL jerseys these days.

bluejackets2010_alt_big.jpg

-Vintage white

-Roundel

-Throwback for team that has no history

-Double blue

islanders2011_alt_big.jpg

-BFBS

-Wordmark

-Front number

-Jersey has nothing to do with team history

-Crazy striping

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

-NFL players who don't wear pads in their pants. Maybe they like pain and injuries to their legs? Plus, it makes some players look like they are wearing shorts. Its just a soft look and hurts the overall uniform. One of these days, the NFL will mandate padding.

Are there stats on the number of injuries that would have been prevented had the player been wearing pants pads? Just curious because you don't see too many players getting carted off with thigh bruises or knee-cap bruises. When I was in high school, we often wondered just how valuable those pads really were.

Well mandated knee pads might cut down on head injuries. Think about it. Would you rather get kneed in the head with someone's bent knee, or would that hurt less if they had a softer cushion on their knee?

How many times have we seen a guy get a concussion from a knee to the head? Quite a bit. Knee pads would lessen the blow.

I think the history of protective gear in football has taught us that the exact opposite is true.

The more padding you give players, the greater the false sense of security, and the more dangerous the style of play. As Scott Simon said, it was polycarbonate helmets that allowed players to weaponize their heads.

Personally, I'd outlaw almost all protective gear. Make players face immediate consequence for their play, rather than allow them to kick it down the road to some unspecified post-career date, and you'll see players play smarter. Anyone who's watched a rugby match can tell you that it wouldn't soften the game at all in the process.

Not really just 'uniforms', but sports branding in general: teams just have too many logos.

I'm okay with teams changing or improving their identities, but I think it's a bad trend for teams to retain old identities when they make tweaks. It dilutes the brand, and it confuses fans. The actual logo becomes less recognizable and marketable.

I've joked around about the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and their inability to stay with a logo. At this pace, by 2020 they'll have 85 active logos and word-marks.

For some more well known examples:

Vancouver Canucks...

120px-Johnnycanucklogo.svg.png

canucks_big.gif

johnnycanuck.png

VancouverCanucksStickNew.png

lrg_Vancouver_Canucks50.gif

Not saying any of these logos are bad, but I think they need to trim down one of these, it's getting a bit too much.

Minnesota Twins

twins-logo-2.png

minnesota-twins.jpg

tumblr_lfdmevWEKz1qzdjk0o1_500.jpg

twins_logo.gif

iphone_twins_thumb%5B8%5D.jpg

Another example is the Jacksonville Jaguars with four cat logos that are similar but in different poses.

http://sportslogos.net/team.php?id=159

The Ravens are also an offender... what in the world do they have two bird logos and a stand-alone script 'B' logo? The alternate state flag patch should be enough.

http://sportslogos.net/team.php?id=153

The Jazz USED to be on this list... but they've done a good enough job of cleaning up their identity.

Gray facemask should absolutely stay for teams that have classic/vintage style uniforms, i.e. Browns, Colts, Giants. People are silly.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I hate all the anniversary logos teams have.

5 years

10 years

15 years

20 years

10 years since the last championship

15 years since the last championship

20 years since the last championship

10 years in this city

15 years in this city

20 years in this city

10 years in this stadium

15 years in this stadium

20 years in this stadium

It's just too much.

5 years

10 years

15 years

20 years

10 years in this city

15 years in this city

20 years in this city

10 years in this stadium

15 years in this stadium

20 years in this stadium

It's just too much.

You forgot

35 years

40 years

50 years

85 years

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 years

10 years

15 years

20 years

10 years in this city

15 years in this city

20 years in this city

10 years in this stadium

15 years in this stadium

20 years in this stadium

It's just too much.

Uhh hello, YES!

The main culprit of this has to be the Astros. They need something to celebrate so they honor the anniversary of the franchise and the anniversary of the name change. I hope the new owners will discontinue that or else we'll be seeing a new patch in 2015 -.-

What I dislike and I think needs to go...

- Bettman stripes

- Piping to nowhere

- BFBS

- Front numbers on the upper torso

- Shirt tales at the waist

- Absence of hem stripes at the waist

- Repetitive RBK striping patterns on teams who have better past looks

As you may have noticed, I left out a number of things most people hate because some things I just don't mind. Like vintage white, circle logos, wordmarks, numbers below the wordmark, thowbacks from 2000's expansion teams, and the use of double blue. All of those things I either find them cool or they just don't really bother me.

Retro-for-the-sake-of-retro needs to stop. My two favorite teams in all sports (Washington Wizards and Baltimore O's) recently made terrible decisions to go retro. It's a trend that some teams can (and should) pull off (like the Blue Jays and Utah Jazz) but it seems like too many teams are jumping on that bandwagon.

I don't understand the calls against reviving old looks. In a lot of cases, it's not "retro for retro's sake", it's simply going back to a team's tried and true look. The Blue Jays didn't look right in black, charcoal, and blue. They simply returned to their best look they've had. The Orioles look has been pretty split between the cartoon bird and the standing bird. I think it's great for them to try to break apart from the usual looks and return to their old identity, which now looks quite unique when set against the other looks throughout the league.

This is seen in football too. The Giants and Jets both returned to old looks, and in my opinion, look the way they should. Ditto for the 49ers. The removal of black makes them great again.

To me, at least, it's not so much "retro for retro's sake" (what does that even mean? haha) as it is going to the best look.

Exactly. It's not 'retro for retro's sake' (this freaking '[blank] for [blank's] sake' term needs to die more than any of these trends). It's retro because fans love it and frankly, it more often than not looks cleaner and more timeless if it's executed right, which a big reason why fans love retro stuff (the other obviously being nostalgia).

And whoever complained about the Giants' grey facemasks must have missed the part where they've been wearing grey pants since the 2000 season, an entire decade. Safe to say grey is part of their color scheme.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

writing on the inside of the collar is pointless too.

NO ONE CAN SEE IT!

Except the player and every person who buys one.That was a dumb comment.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

NO ONE CAN SEE IT!

No one can see it when you're wearing it.

Jerseys are meant to be worn and if something is not visible while the jersey is being worn it then serves no purpose.

What I dislike and I think needs to go...

- Bettman stripes

- Piping to nowhere

- BFBS

- Front numbers on the upper torso

- Shirt tales at the waist

- Absence of hem stripes at the waist

- Repetitive RBK striping patterns on teams who have better past looks

As you may have noticed, I left out a number of things most people hate because some things I just don't mind. Like vintage white, circle logos, wordmarks, numbers below the wordmark, thowbacks from 2000's expansion teams, and the use of double blue. All of those things I either find them cool or they just don't really bother me.

This is where I am. I don't have any issues with new teams trying to piggy back on the history of their game and league. I will take a new team having a nice look with historical character over a new team trying to change the way the uniform of the future should look any day. Sports is about the past, not the future. It's about being better than those who came before you. It's about the product on the field, not visual creativity and keeping people interested because the uniforms are sparkly and neon and progressive. Without the past, there is no present in sports, because everything that is right now is a product of what has happened in the past. The games, the players, the rivalries, everything. History and sports are so closely tied, I prefer uniforms and logos to tap into that aesthetic. It's very appropriate, whereas many of these new looks we see don't seem to be.

NO ONE CAN SEE IT!

No one can see it when you're wearing it.

Jerseys are meant to be worn and if something is not visible while the jersey is being worn it then serves no purpose.

That's preposterous. The shoulder pads obviously serve a purpose, and they're always covered up. 'Jerseys are meant to be worn' is only half the equation. Jerseys are also meant to be sold to fans, and fans like to see those extra little touches added to a jersey. It adds value for someone buying the product. It makes players feel proud to be part of the team. It feels custom and high-quality. A uniform is definitely more than just what we can see on the outside. It's those details that we can't see that can make a good uniform great.

Archived