Mariners late-90s caps/unis

The Mojo Maniac

There are numerous photos of Mariners players in the late '90s wearing the alternate cap of that time with the home white unis:

18689.jpg

edgar.jpg

My question is: does anybody know whether or not this cap/jersey combo was ever worn in a regular-season game? Or were those caps only worn with the alternate sleeveless jerseys the M's had at the time? All I know for a fact is that those caps were used in spring training and batting practice from 1997-2000. This has been haunting me for a long time and it would be cool to know if anyone has any further info, since I did not become a full-time Mariners fan (or baseball fan, for that matter) until 2001, when even the teal-billed cap was seeing its final days.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

There are numerous photos of Mariners players in the late '90s wearing the alternate cap of that time with the home white unis:

18689.jpg

edgar.jpg

My question is: does anybody know whether or not this cap/jersey combo was ever worn in a regular-season game? Or were those caps only worn with the alternate sleeveless jerseys the M's had at the time? All I know for a fact is that those caps were used in spring training and batting practice from 1997-2000. This has been haunting me for a long time and it would be cool to know if anyone has any further info, since I did not become a full-time Mariners fan (or baseball fan, for that matter) until 2001, when even the teal-billed cap was seeing its final days.

The hat was worn in a handful of regular season games, but it very seldom saw the field. If I had to guess, I'd say it was worn for a regular season game maybe five times.

They only wore the cap for two seasons, in '97 & in '98. In '97 they only wore the cap with the alt Home vest. In 1998 they only wore it with their blue jerseys at home and the regular home whites.

Here's a pic from a game in the '98 season

51636439.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=FE1CE9934D1C2A8C7D592DDBD6F26F735EEF309660CE83AD2B933B999B3DE5B3

Randy Johnson, Griffey Jr, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner and A-Rod...How did this not win a World Series again?

Because the 1995 Cleveland Indians were just a little better that year.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Randy Johnson, Griffey Jr, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner and A-Rod...How did this not win a World Series again?

That lineup sans Randy Johnson still holds the record for most wins during a single season. Unfortunately they blew it against the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs that season.

The M's ridiculous 116 win season came the year after ARod left, strangely enough.

They added Ichiro, but it does make for one of the greatest fantasy GM games one can think of - if they had both Ichiro AND ARod. Definitely could've hit the 120's.

And a bigger shame such a great team blew chunks come playoff time as well.

spacer.png

That lineup sans Randy Johnson still holds the record for most wins during a single season. Unfortunately they blew it against the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs that season.

And sans A-rod, Griffey jr, and Buhner was a bench player(Ichiro's took over RF).

But that basic core of Mariners played together for like four years. The fact that, that core of players, and the 2001 team did not even make a World Series is sad. Lou Piniella was the skip for both those groups of teams. Maybe he was not such a great manager after all. Who cares what you have done in the regular season...

And sans A-rod, Griffey jr, and Buhner was a bench player(Ichiro's took over RF).

But that basic core of Mariners played together for like four years. The fact that, that core of players, and the 2001 team did not even make a World Series is sad. Lou Piniella was the skip for both those groups of teams. Maybe he was not such a great manager after all. Who cares what you have done in the regular season...

Junior, the Big Unit, Edgar, and Bone played together for almost ten years.

As for the 2001 playoff snafu, you can't really blame Piniella for much of that. The bullpen as well as Aaron Sele had an especially horrible series vs NYY, and the M's bats were MIA when it really counted.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Archived