The Toronto Raptors need a change of identity

Ark

A raptor also refers to a bird of prey. I always thought the Toronto Raptors would eventually lose the dinosaur reference completely and switch to a falcon, hawk or eagle. Toronto uses peregrine falcons that nest in the high rise buildings to help control pigeons. You could somehow use a bird of prey and the CN tower in a logo that achieves much...i.e. keeps the name, and provides a local reference.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raptors identity is actually pretty good, the name is unique and the claw logo can probably last a very long time without any need for an update.

They just need to make the logo official by putting there wordmark around it, bring back purple and reduce there usage of red colour.

Well... I stand corrected. I had no idea the team name was influenced by the popular movie, guess if the Mighty Ducks could do it...

If you think about it, it makes sense that a sports franchise would try to use the massive popularity of that movie to build around. Especially considering the year Toronto picked that team name. Even though their primary logo looks dated and cheesey, their alternate claw logo is perfect and clever. I wish they would build around that one.

I agree, no clue why they still use that dated logo. Reminds me how the Jazz, Nuggets and Wizards are all represented by cheesy recolours of 90's logos in spite of having alternate marks that blow them out of the water.

53864056.png

I agree, no clue why they still use that dated logo. Reminds me how the Jazz, Nuggets and Wizards are all represented by cheesy recolours of 90's logos in spite of having alternate marks that blow them out of the water.

53864056.png

And that Jazz logo is cheesy recolor of a bad '70s logo.

53864056.png

It's all to save money. Recoloring a primary and introducing a new secondary (and using it on virtually all marketing materials) avoids the rebranding fee. I forget how much that is, but it is becoming common practice, which is stupid.

53864056.png

Be that as it may, it's at least better than the word "Jazz" shivering in front of a mountain backdrop.

53864056.png

Be that as it may, it's at least better than the word "Jazz" shivering in front of a mountain backdrop.

I would disagree with that statement.

53864056.png

I would disagree with that statement.

The 90's Utah Jazz mountain logo is at least true to its location, but there was no reason to put it through 2 recolorings. This set was made for the note logo, and the mountain logo should have been put to rest in the last redesign. They should have made a hybrid of the note and mountain logos, in my opinion. Put mountains on the ball in the note, update the "AZZ" font (and the note), and there you go.

That said, I'm fine with the current Jazz look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Never had a problem with "Raptors". Its much better than some of these suggested ones to me. If they did change Huskies would make sense.

Also they're not moving anywhere. For one TO is actually a big market, and two they're one of the few teams that actually continue to make money(despite a crappy situation).

One my biggest beefs with the Raptors is in regards to the color scheme. Red, Black and Silver? You mean like the Blazers? You mean like the Rockets? Red and Black like the Bulls? I don't think we need another team in the NBA with such overused colors.

You can say what you want about the original unis, but they were certainly unique:

TorontoRaptors_JFV2a_1996-1999_SCC_SRGB.pngTorontoRaptors_JBV2a_1996-1999_SCC_SRGB.png

I have 5 of those old jerseys that I still wear to the games on a regular basis today. I get so many people coming up to me and saying "awesome man!" or "those were the best jerseys" (unless I wear my V.C. one that is).

The look was original, it was unique in terms of the colours for the NBA (Yes I know they aren't the only team to use purple primarily) and although I'm sure we can all agree the look was typical "90s" it still was different. I miss that look so much.

I think these are the best they've had too. Just tone them down a little

-Replace the jagged pin stripes with straight pin stripes.

-Replace the jagged black triangle on the pants with straight triangle, with claw logo on both sides.

-Lose the "teeth" nameplate

-Lose the Flintstones number font, go with something modern but classy.

On the front move the number to the centre, and a smaller red dine to where the number is on this one!!!

DONE!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

53864056.png

Add Bobcats to that list too

120px-NewCharlotteBobcatsalternatelogo.gif

53864056.png

Add Bobcats to that list too

120px-NewCharlotteBobcatsalternatelogo.gif

And the Timberwolves.

5ggk1t3vhjd19mm1hp5xvn05t.gif

bYhYmxh.png

^^^

I think current Wolves logo is a lot better than that alternate. It has history and there's something about the fierce look on the wolf's face which makes it such an awesome logo than a howling wolf. The one you posted is the perfect secondary logo though.

This is a tone deaf franchise that's never given a rat what the city wants or thinks. From the start, they've always felt they know better than their own paying customers.

So, what that means is, you'll get more ugly uniforms more ugly logos and a franchise that will continue to embarrass the great city of Toronto for decades.

This is a tone deaf franchise that's never given a rat what the city wants or thinks. From the start, they've always felt they know better than their own paying customers.

So, what that means is, you'll get more ugly uniforms more ugly logos and a franchise that will continue to embarrass the great city of Toronto for decades.

Ummm...so a team with one of the league's best fanbases and a bright future who is under the same ownership as the Leafs and TFC will embarrass the city? Okey-dokey then...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Ummm...so a team with one of the league's best fanbases and a bright future who is under the same ownership as the Leafs and TFC will embarrass the city? Okey-dokey then...

Ummm.... Best fan bases? Bright future? Every sucky team has a bright future, they say that to make the teams seem better than they really are, and make the fans hopeful.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

You could somehow use a bird of prey and the CN tower in a logo that achieves much...i.e. keeps the name, and provides a local reference.

A bird perched on the CN Tower! Brilliant. And a maple leaf somewhere! And Kabel Bold! I love it when a plan comes together.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived