Worst ideas in sports history

johnnysama

CFL in America

It may not have lasted long (3 seasons), but it did introduce some new players to the game, and it did inject some cash into the league coffers at a time it was sorely needed.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CFL in America

It may not have lasted long (3 seasons), but it did introduce some new players to the game, and it did inject some cash into the league coffers at a time it was sorely needed.

Could also make a decent argument the CFL played a huge role in the NFL returning to Baltimore. The NFL didn't think a team could draw in Baltimore, but the Stallions finished first and second in attendance for the two years they played.

CFL in America

Could also make a decent argument it was the CFL was a huge reason in the NFL returning to Baltimore. The NFL didn't think a team could draw in Baltimore, but the Stallions finished first and second in attendance for the two years they played.

They were easily the most successful US based team--on & off the field.

There are still Stallion fans around.

They also had great helmets...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Hockey in Atlanta... 'nuff said.

How about hockey in Atlanta, Phoenix, Columbus, Dallas, etc. before returning hockey to Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec City or bringing it to Hamilton, etc.?

The Bettman relocation and expansion has been an unmitigated failure.

spacer.png

MLB

-Designated Hitter. Needs to be applied to BOTH the National AND American Leagues, or NEITHER.

-All Star Game deciding home field advantage in World Series.

NFL

-Pansy quarterback protection rules. QBs are virtually kickers now.

College Football

-the BCS. College football needs a playoff or at least a plus-1 system where the national title is played AFTER all the bowls.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If we're just complaining about rules we don't like, then I'll submit the "running into the kicker" rule as the worst one in football.

I totally understand "roughing" the kicker, but "running into" the kicker is so often unintentional and just encourages kickers to take dives. It can have a major impact on key situations of a game too.

I'll also add the "all facemasks are personal fouls" penalty as the second worst in football. At least under the old system, if you accidentally grazed or grabbed a facemask, you had an incentive to just let go really quickly, because it might only be a 5 yard penalty. Now, even if it's just a graze, you might as well get your money's worth and just pull the guy down by it, because it's 15 yards either way. I think their rule actually makes for more severe grabs, since a graze is penalized as much as a neck-twisting yank.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NHL all-star drafting format

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The BCS

Under Armor making football uniforms

Brett Farve with every team other than the Packers and the Vikings

The Sonics not picking Jordan

DH

The Thrashers

CFL in America

Didn't the Sonics pick well after Jordan was drafted?

He probably means the Blazers.

He means the Blazers. What's pretty crazy is that a very similar scenario unfolded over 20 years later with the same franchise and they made the exact same goof again. Sports are cool.

act_greg_oden.jpg

kevin-durant.jpg

Yeah, I meant the Blazers. They're both underachieving Northwest teams (or, in the Sonics case, they were and underachieving Northwest team).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

-aluminum baseball bats...they've improved em, but the crack of the bat > the ping of the bat

-shooting at your own basket so you can get a triple double

-Mercy rules that end the game if one team is up by 40 or something after halftime. Granted, nobody likes to lose by that much, but if I had a choice between that one and a running clock rule, I choose the running clock.

-aforementioned, that dumb ass trapezoid in the NHL

-baseball teams employing Milton Bradley

-MLB making Puerto Ricans subject to the draft

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Worst idea? Polycarbonate football helmets.

Leather helmets or no helmets. I'd even go with nylon today. But we're only just beginning to understand how much damage plastic shells have been to the sport and the men who play it.

You know, I almost agree with that - and there's no going back.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

tumblr_lb0lsdE1Mu1qzrudv.jpg

(yes, I know its a fake)

LeBron-James-The-Decision.jpg

(not his actual decision, but how he did it)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived