Worst ideas in sports history

johnnysama

World Series games not ending until the following day, after midnight, sometimes 1:30 in the blessed a.m.

A lot of the post was mediocre at best, but this is spot on. I don't see why weekend games couldn't start earlier. I kind of get not starting evening games, but why couldn't a weekend World Series game not start at 6 or even earlier, and allow everyone to see a whole game.

Because it's all about TV. Nobody's watching a 3 PM first pitch in California. Like it or not, that's why.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. You have to prevent the quarterback from throwing into the ground at will any time the defense gets a little pressure.

As for a spike, it's like when a player takes a deliberate knee or gives up and stops trying to advance the ball; there is strategy in choosing when not to run a play.

Also, for it to be call an intentional grounding penalty, there has to be imminent pressure on the QB, which there usually isn't when a QB spikes the ball. There was an instance in the Broncos/Vikings game last weekend where Ponder, from the pocket, threw a ball nowhere near a WR and the ref ruled that since he wasn't under pressure and throwing the ball away to avoid a sack that it was not intentional grounding.

I dunno, I've seen the flag thrown in those situations. I think of it as the "you suck" brand of intentional grounding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kansas paying Charlie Weis more than $3 million.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

World Series games not ending until the following day, after midnight, sometimes 1:30 in the blessed a.m.

A lot of the post was mediocre at best, but this is spot on. I don't see why weekend games couldn't start earlier. I kind of get not starting evening games, but why couldn't a weekend World Series game not start at 6 or even earlier, and allow everyone to see a whole game.

Because it's all about TV. Nobody's watching a 3 PM first pitch in California. Like it or not, that's why.

Well here is my question for MLB to think about then, which is better, the west coast missing opening pitch, or kids, old people, people with early starting jobs, on the west coast missing the climax of every world series game?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The chances of a game lasting longer than 9 innings are far, far less than the chances of a game starting when it is scheduled to start.

The problem is that a 9 inning game ends at midnight or later. Although, a problem for both, it sucks more for anyone who wants to and does go to the game than someone who watches on TV. There is no reason for World Series and playoff games to start that late. It couldn't hurt to start the late games a little earlier.

Just about everyone has a dvr, so starting times of the World Series should be standard and dictated by day. The World Series should start on a Tuesday night at 8pm along with all games Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday games should start at 3pm EST.

Just about everyone has a dvr, so starting times of the World Series should be standard and dictated by day. The World Series should start on a Tuesday night at 8pm along with all games Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday games should start at 3pm EST.

Don't assume everyone has a DVR. According to Nielson 34% do. Now concerning cable they said 99% of Americans do. The best fact is 78% of Americans living in poverty has cable or satellite. So when people complain about playoff games not being on one of the big four networks they have nothing to complain.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

I read in the STL paper that FOX likes to have world series games end somewhere around 11:15 ET. This gets people switching over from 10 ET programs ending at 11 ET and it's not so late that too many people are turning it off. I think their ratings history supports this. That's why the pregame show was changed to 7:30 ET this year with the games starting right at 8 ET.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The title of this thread should now be "Stuff you don't like or find mildly annoying in sports." :P

Come on folk, you know the game by now! Tell me the last time a thread of this nature didn't degenerate two or three pages in? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The title of this thread should now be "Stuff you don't like or find mildly annoying in sports." :P

Come on folk, you know the game by now! Tell me the last time a thread of this nature didn't degenerate two or three pages in? :P

Isn't it more down to the hyperbolic nature of some of these thread titles.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Isn't it more down to the hyperbolic nature of some of these thread titles.

It's more down to the nature of some of the people posting always having something stuck up their asses.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived