Bowl Mania: Uniform Edition

Bmac

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASU will wear a Black, White, Black combo against Boise State in Vegas.

13_img_5962w_0.jpg

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

This was probably the second worst combo they wore all season, just behind the blackout and ahead of the whiteout. They couldn't at least wear the yellow helmet?

On a different note, I can totally get behind that Wisconsin Rose Bowl jersey if it's legit. The number treatment is pretty neat, and I'm glad that (again, if legit), that it was kept to that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Oregon has been using black long enough now that people should stop bitching about it. Carbon, volt, anthracite? Fine, that makes sense. But black isn't anything new. School colors? Perhaps not. Team colors, absolutely. And for quite some time now.

Glad someone finally understands.

I don't think anyone really has a problem identifying Oregon anymore no matter what color is out on the field. But black is just a part of our color scheme now as green and yellow is.

uh no...just because your uniform supplier decides to outfit you in black threads does not mean it's part of your color scheme..in addition black, green and yellow looks like sh-it no matter how you mix it up.

Why do people care? Because according to the school's athletic department, the OFFICIAL ATHLETIC COLORS ARE GREEN AND YELLOW.

Any other additions are just pandering to be trendy, and a contradiction to the idea of tradition.

Without tradition, there is no connection to the history of the school.

If "no tradition" is the school's tradition, then they're a bunch of posers, and basically are Nike's bitches.

It's not about being stuck in the past, or being opposed to progress. But if the school has to rely on adding random colors to get noticed in the first place, then the problem likes within the product on the field and the management behind it, not the costumes worn.

Oregon has been using black in there uniforms as a main color since 1999. I would put them in the Northwestern category of "Not a school color, but it's been used for so long that it basically is anyway".

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Not completely positive, but I'm pretty certain that NC State will be wearing all red uniforms including the new "throwback"-inspired red helmet that was worn during 3 games this season in the Belk Bowl on Dec. 27th against Louisville. In Coach O'Brien's press conference announcing the bowl the red helmet was present opposite a Belk Bowl helmet, and many merchandise items for the bowl feature the red helmet. Given the fact State is the "home" team in this ACC-Big East matchup, this uniform combo would not surprise me at all.acc1111260325.jpg

The thing I hate is that the logo doesn't have black. It doesn't match the rest of the uniform.

Replicas for Wisconsin Rose Bowl jerseys for saleLink

Whoa. Neat.

I have a hard time seeing ASU in anything other than gold helmets.

Agreed, especially since ASU has always worn gold helmets. It's quite jarring.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Quick question: how did you do that?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Oregon has been using black in there uniforms as a main color since 1999. I would put them in the Northwestern category of "Not a school color, but it's been used for so long that it basically is anyway".

Northwestern is also part of the "black for black's sake" group. However, if the color's addition is limited to trim (like Ohio State, Rutgers, Tennessee), it's not as bad as adding it to be a dominant color. When Northwestern wears white, the black is limited to striping (seems to be for many sports, not just football).

When the extraneous colors are no longer limited to just TRIM (Northwestern, Oregon, Stanford, Kentucky, etc), then there's the problem.

Hasn't this been explained to you before?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Quick question: how did you do that?

Do what?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oregon has been using black long enough now that people should stop bitching about it. Carbon, volt, anthracite? Fine, that makes sense. But black isn't anything new. School colors? Perhaps not. Team colors, absolutely. And for quite some time now.

All I'm saying is when your uniform consists completely of green, yellow and grey elements, and then there's black outlines on the numbers, something doesn't belong, and I'll give you one guess what it is. I could care less about Oregon wearing black philosophically, though I would rather they stick to a green/yellow-centric theme, as long as they wear enough of it to make it look intentional. I think they look quite good in all black, for example, and I didn't mind the black numeral outlines when they paired that kelly green 'Puddles' jersey with a black helmet and pants. The black outline looked like it belonged on that uniform because there was more than one instance of the color repeated through the uniform. Black simply isn't the best choice to highlight a single element of an entire uniform when the rest of the set is completely devoid of it (see NC State picture above, either the lettering and numerals should be plain white, or the black should be incorporated into the helmet graphics to create a cohesive package).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Northwestern is also part of the "black for black's sake" group. However, if the color's addition is limited to trim (like Ohio State, Rutgers, Tennessee), it's not as bad as adding it to be a dominant color. When Northwestern wears white, the black is limited to striping (seems to be for many sports, not just football).

When the extraneous colors are no longer limited to just TRIM (Northwestern, Oregon, Stanford, Kentucky, etc), then there's the problem.

Yes, many times. The main thing everyone always says is "It threw away all of Oregon's tradition!". You know what? Yes, it did. It tried to throw away decades and decades of futility and losing. Years of underachieving, empty seats and fired coaches. Bowl games? HA! We would be happy with 4 wins most years. We had Dan Fouts at QB and we still sucked. If there was any team in the country that needed to have their tradtion scrapped, it was Oregon. And you know what? It worked. Oregon has had one, I repeat, ONE losing season since 1999, and that was a 5-6 year in 2004. A 5-6 would've been considered a success in the 80s. Oregon threw out there tradtion because they barely had any to begin with. I think the first thing people thought of when they looked at our uniforms were the old Green Bay Packers, not the Oregon ducks. Now, we have an identity all our own. Everyone always talks about "Oh look, they're copying Oregon!". No, you can try to copy Oregon, but you can't be Oregon. Nobody can. ASU? Please. Oregon uses 4 helmets, jerseys and pants halfway through the season. Wyoming? Mashing templates together and slightly recoloring helmets is no where near the same as Oregon. Oklahoma State? 3 helmets is pathetic. And they look more like Oregon State than Oklahoma State with some of their combos. Oregon has an identity of it's own, and nobody, I repeat NOBODY, has a stronger identity in all of sports. No one.

All I'm saying is when your uniform consists completely of green, yellow and grey elements, and then there's black outlines on the numbers, something doesn't belong, and I'll give you one guess what it is. I could care less about Oregon wearing black philosophically, though I would rather they stick to a green/yellow-centric theme, as long as they wear enough of it to make it look intentional. I think they look quite good in all black, for example, and I didn't mind the black numeral outlines when they paired that kelly green 'Puddles' jersey with a black helmet and pants. The black outline looked like it belonged on that uniform because there was more than one instance of the color repeated through the uniform. Black simply isn't the best choice to highlight a single element of an entire uniform when the rest of the set is completely devoid of it (see NC State picture above, either the lettering and numerals should be plain white, or the black should be incorporated into the helmet graphics to create a cohesive package).

I completely agree. The black outline is out of place, and it takes away from otherwise a great uniform.

Oklahoma State? 3 helmets is pathetic.

4. They have two white helmets.

Yes, many times. The main thing everyone always says is "It threw away all of Oregon's tradition!". You know what? Yes, it did. It tried to throw away decades and decades of futility and losing. Years of underachieving, empty seats and fired coaches. Bowl games? HA! We would be happy with 4 wins most years. We had Dan Fouts at QB and we still sucked. If there was any team in the country that needed to have their tradtion scrapped, it was Oregon. And you know what? It worked. Oregon has had one, I repeat, ONE losing season since 1999, and that was a 5-6 year in 2004. A 5-6 would've been considered a success in the 80s. Oregon threw out there tradtion because they barely had any to begin with. I think the first thing people thought of when they looked at our uniforms were the old Green Bay Packers, not the Oregon ducks. Now, we have an identity all our own. Everyone always talks about "Oh look, they're copying Oregon!". No, you can try to copy Oregon, but you can't be Oregon. Nobody can. ASU? Please. Oregon uses 4 helmets, jerseys and pants halfway through the season. Wyoming? Mashing templates together and slightly recoloring helmets is no where near the same as Oregon. Oklahoma State? 3 helmets is pathetic. And they look more like Oregon State than Oklahoma State with some of their combos. Oregon has an identity of it's own, and nobody, I repeat NOBODY, has a stronger identity in all of sports. No one.

Three helmets is pathetic? That doesn't inherently make you cool or a badass. What is sporting culture coming to if three helmets is pathetic? Not everyone needs to have the option of a new helmet every week. Having or not having a certain number of helmets does not automatically make you "hip" or "cool". I have no interest in them, but put it this way: The Yankees will always be cool, and they've got one cap and don't change their look. They don't need a white cap, a gray cap, a black cap, and a pinstripe cap to be cool.

Replicas for Wisconsin Rose Bowl jerseys for sale

Link

Those are really nice. I love the rose design in the numbers. Hopefulley they'll have a rose in the W on the helmet.

When I saw the "special uniforms" blurb, I was concerned, but this may be kind of cool...plus since it's a rose design, it's not foreshadowing to next year.

As for the helmet, I tend to doubt it. In four previous Rose Bowls, UW has never touched the helmet. Rose logos on the jersey only.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes, many times. The main thing everyone always says is "It threw away all of Oregon's tradition!". You know what? Yes, it did. It tried to throw away decades and decades of futility and losing. Years of underachieving, empty seats and fired coaches. Bowl games? HA! We would be happy with 4 wins most years. We had Dan Fouts at QB and we still sucked. If there was any team in the country that needed to have their tradtion scrapped, it was Oregon. And you know what? It worked. Oregon has had one, I repeat, ONE losing season since 1999, and that was a 5-6 year in 2004. A 5-6 would've been considered a success in the 80s. Oregon threw out there tradtion because they barely had any to begin with. I think the first thing people thought of when they looked at our uniforms were the old Green Bay Packers, not the Oregon ducks. Now, we have an identity all our own...

Great start out of the blocks...

...Everyone always talks about "Oh look, they're copying Oregon!". No, you can try to copy Oregon, but you can't be Oregon. Nobody can. ASU? Please. Oregon uses 4 helmets, jerseys and pants halfway through the season. Wyoming? Mashing templates together and slightly recoloring helmets is no where near the same as Oregon. Oklahoma State? 3 helmets is pathetic. And they look more like Oregon State than Oklahoma State with some of their combos...

you clipped the fifth hurdle with your knee...

Oregon has an identity of it's own, and nobody, I repeat NOBODY, has a stronger identity in all of sports. No one.

and then fell flat on your face. It's a strong identity, and it's getting stronger each year, but it's in no way the strongest identity in sports. Cowboys, Yankees, Harlem Globetrotters, Manchester United, etc. These sports brands are all global (and iconic), which is what Oregon will never be. When your brand is only marketed to a domestic audience (as college football is), then your brand will never be truly global. When your brand revolves around constant change, your brand will never be iconic.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

nobody, I repeat NOBODY, has a stronger identity in all of sports. No one.

The Yankees have worn the same two uniforms for more than 30 years (and their home uniform for twice as long). How is that a weaker identity? The Blackhawks' jerseys, apart from the thirds, have been largely the same since 1955. How is that a weaker identity? How is the Packers' identity weaker? How about the Canadiens? The Cubs?

Archived