Bowl Mania: Uniform Edition

Bmac

Both helmets are worse than their standard helmets.

Bingo. And in a bowl game you should dress your best.

What is the appeal of matte helmets? I don't get it.

Because somtimes they look good.

These

93062528.jpg.16101.0_display_image.jpg?1259979666

Look better than they would with a regular finish.

The baylor helmets do not (IMO).

They only work with jerseys that are matte like Oregon's and TCU's. They look awful with uniforms like Wyomings, Southern Miss' and Baylor's.

I agree completely. The same goes with matte jerseys and pants (see Notre Dame, UCLA).

But "good" is so subjective. It looks flat and dull to me.

Well, I think that flat helmets look really cheap. Do you think that Oregon helmet would look good flat?

By flat I trust you actually mean gloss finish. Most helmets are a gloss finish (Atlanta Falcons for example use a black gloss finish). Flat and matte in paint terms are actually the same thing.

To chime in on your question, my answer is yes, I think that black Oregon helmet would look better in gloss form than the matte does. I have yet to see a matte helmet that wouldn't have looked better if they'd used a gloss finish.

Now, if it were a hypothetical metallic black helmet, I would prefer the matte finish because they wear matte pants, otherwise you get a Jacksonville Jaguars situation and that's a disaster. My personal rules are simple; metallic helmet, you should wear metallic pants or pants with a sheen. Gloss helmets, your pants can go either way, and matte helmets you should match it with matte pants.

To expound on this idea, I think that Oregon uniform would look so much better if their jerseys and pants incorporated a sheen and weren't matte themselves and it was paired with a glossy dome. It just looks more put together. Plus, matte jerseys and pants look homemade, like someone's mom sewed them together using cotton t-shirts.

It's your opinion that "flat" helmets look cheap, I feel just the opposite.

Well, then it's just opinion. I've never seen a matte jersey in any game lower than College (Save for some of those High School Pro Combat uniforms), but I see shiny uniforms used by everyone.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These

They only work with jerseys that are matte like Oregon's and TCU's. They look awful with uniforms like Wyomings, Southern Miss' and Baylor's.

I agree completely. The same goes with matte jerseys and pants (see Notre Dame, UCLA).

Well, I think that flat helmets look really cheap. Do you think that Oregon helmet would look good flat?

By flat I trust you actually mean gloss finish. Most helmets are a gloss finish (Atlanta Falcons for example use a black gloss finish). Flat and matte in paint terms are actually the same thing.

To chime in on your question, my answer is yes, I think that black Oregon helmet would look better in gloss form than the matte does. I have yet to see a matte helmet that wouldn't have looked better if they'd used a gloss finish.

Now, if it were a hypothetical metallic black helmet, I would prefer the matte finish because they wear matte pants, otherwise you get a Jacksonville Jaguars situation and that's a disaster. My personal rules are simple; metallic helmet, you should wear metallic pants or pants with a sheen. Gloss helmets, your pants can go either way, and matte helmets you should match it with matte pants.

To expound on this idea, I think that Oregon uniform would look so much better if their jerseys and pants incorporated a sheen and weren't matte themselves and it was paired with a glossy dome. It just looks more put together. Plus, matte jerseys and pants look homemade, like someone's mom sewed them together using cotton t-shirts.

Well, then it's just opinion. I've never seen a matte jersey in any game lower than College (Save for some of those High School Pro Combat uniforms), but I see shiny uniforms used by everyone.

It is my opinion and I'm not arguing, just stating why I feel the way I do.

Matte jerseys and pants appear more easily torn, less heavy, less durable. They look like a t-shirt that was stretched over the pads, and they look like they can rip with the slightest amount of resistance. That may not be true, but they appear that way. That looks cheap in my book, and by way of using a similar finish, matte helmets appear cheap (to me) as well, like a less durable plastic. That's obviously not true, but they look that way.

Also, because the matte finish helmet has yet to hit the NFL, I associate the high-gloss and/or metallic shells with classy, clean, professional organizations. Outside of the Steelers, pretty much every team buffs and polishes their helmets on a weekly basis. Why? Because it looks better. That's why I prefer them to matte.

Strange how fabrics and textures go in and out of style isn't it. In 5 years we'll be having this same discussion, but it'll be someone defending the scourge of chrome helmets that have taken college football teams by storm.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Baylor is wearing the new Nike socks also.

RGIII looks to be wearing different cleats than I've seen before too

they are one of the models for next year. Several teams have worn them during bowls. The tape on them is making them appear different.

These

It is my opinion and I'm not arguing, just stating why I feel the way I do.

Matte jerseys and pants appear more easily torn, less heavy, less durable. They look like a t-shirt that was stretched over the pads, and they look like they can rip with the slightest amount of resistance. That may not be true, but they appear that way. That looks cheap in my book, and by way of using a similar finish, matte helmets appear cheap (to me) as well.

Also, because the matte finish helmet has yet to hit the NFL, I associate the high-gloss and/or metallic shells with classy, clean, professional organizations. Outside of the Steelers, pretty much every team buffs and polishes their helmets on a weekly basis. Why? Because it looks better. That's why I prefer them to matte.

Strange how fabrics and textures go in and out of style isn't it. In 5 years we'll be having this same discussion, but it'll be someone defending the scourge of chrome helmets that have taken college football teams by storm.

See; when people give good reasons for their opinions like this, I tend to respect them. You made some very valid points. Thanks you.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I hate when schools can't decide if they're a gold or yellow team. Baylor uses gold on their football uniforms, but their fans, cheerleaders, and even the endzones at the Alamobowl are decked out in yellow. Pick one.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pics from the games:

47837a040f511dba1bd39022f40e5b97-getty-136244814.jpg5ac0ea4b7f255ced916e1deec32f1756-getty-136244806.jpg

That ND v FSU game was one of the worst looking games I've ever seen. Way too much gold.

I hate when schools can't decide if they're a gold or yellow team. Baylor uses gold on their football uniforms, but their fans, cheerleaders, and even the endzones at the Alamobowl are decked out in yellow. Pick one.

This is a Nike/Adidas thing. All the Baylor programs sponsored by Nike use gold, meanwhile, all the Adidas sponsored programs use yellow. I'm personally a fan of the gold.

This is a Nike/Adidas thing. All the Baylor programs sponsored by Nike use gold, meanwhile, all the Adidas sponsored programs use yellow. I'm personally a fan of the gold.

Why does Baylor use different manufacturers for different sports? That's out of the ordinary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I've grown accustomed to the new shiny golden dome ND helmets but it begs the question: Should they alter the pants to match the helmet?

Either go with a shinier pant design or utilize white pants. It simply doesn't work with the khaki looking pants anymore.

i think the matte pants can work for nd if they match the color to the helmets. right now the pants aren't dark enough. keeping with nd, they need gold or green numerals. the white is out of place.

baylor's helmet looked great. i think it was slightly darker than the uniform color.

I have to agree here. There hasn't been a bad matte helmet yet, except for instances when a team used shiny pants with it. Also that Notre Dame helmet is awesome. It needs to be their regular one.

That's not entirely true. Baylor track and field wear Nike manufactured apparel, but they use yellow rather than gold. baylor's overall atheltic identity is a mess.

Football-vs.-Texas-Tech-_MD-11.26.11_679-FTW.jpg

104207.jpg

101-TPolen-3487.jpg

20110223_mens_bball_02_t_w600_h3000.jpg

d1-v3-041909.jpg

Washington should have worn purple pants with the white helmet and top. As much as I love stormtrooper looks, they're just one of those teams that can't pull it off (for the record, though, I DO like that white helmet).

As for Notre Dame-Florida State....beautiful. That was a fantastic looking game.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived