Bowl Mania: Uniform Edition

Bmac

Nike posted this picture on their Facebook page after Oregon won Saturday. Maybe it is a sign of things to come? I hope so because I LOVE this set.

377208_10151018801820721_57460905720_21935234_1982824116_n.jpg

Is it just me or do these Nike ads make the featured uniform look 100% better than it actually does in the game? I seem to love every teaser Nike does and then am underwhelmed when I watch the game.

Its not just you. Every one of these photoshop fantasies look like crap on the field by comparison, IMO. Its like what happens when you take the Batman costume from the comics (cool, iconic) and slap it on Adam West (ridiculas). Nike, addidas, underarmor, whoever, create these fake images, people go crazy for them, then they dress 70 young people in them... some skinny, some fat, some in great shape, and ask them to run around in the real world.

Of course it looks nothing like the designer's perfect untouchable fantasy image. If I ran the world, all these publicity shots would be actual unaltered photographs of actual humans, wearing prototype uniforms. Then, when everone got done laughing, the designers could go back to the drawing board.

>Implying that everyone has your taste in uniforms.

I hated those uniforms too, but there were a lot of people who loved these, so even if they did just shot the regular uniform, the reaction would've been similar.

And this "Photoshop fantasy" thing is not limited to Nike. Every add tries to make the product look better than it actually is, that's what advertising's for!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike posted this picture on their Facebook page after Oregon won Saturday. Maybe it is a sign of things to come? I hope so because I LOVE this set.

Is it just me or do these Nike ads make the featured uniform look 100% better than it actually does in the game? I seem to love every teaser Nike does and then am underwhelmed when I watch the game.

Its not just you. Every one of these photoshop fantasies look like crap on the field by comparison, IMO. Its like what happens when you take the Batman costume from the comics (cool, iconic) and slap it on Adam West (ridiculas). Nike, addidas, underarmor, whoever, create these fake images, people go crazy for them, then they dress 70 young people in them... some skinny, some fat, some in great shape, and ask them to run around in the real world.

Of course it looks nothing like the designer's perfect untouchable fantasy image. If I ran the world, all these publicity shots would be actual unaltered photographs of actual humans, wearing prototype uniforms. Then, when everone got done laughing, the designers could go back to the drawing board.

I hated those uniforms too, but there were a lot of people who loved these, so even if they did just shot the regular uniform, the reaction would've been similar.

And this "Photoshop fantasy" thing is not limited to Nike. Every add tries to make the product look better than it actually is, that's what advertising's for!

Nope. If you read the first line of my post, I did throw in the "IMO"... which you probably know means "in my opinion". This is a message board, after all. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking opinions are what message boards are for.

I wish Florida St. would wear either the garnet or white pants, especially since ND already has gold pants. I haven't seen either color pants for at least a year, probably longer.

They haven't worn anything but gold pants since Fisher became the head coach. He wants to be traditional (ignoring traditions like garnet pants at Florida, or the occasional mono-garnet at homecoming).

Nope. If you read the first line of my post, I did throw in the "IMO"... which you probably know means "in my opinion". This is a message board, after all. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking opinions are what message boards are for.

:grin: baaahahahaha. Don't know why this got such a guffaw out of me. Must be a good day...

Oregon is the higher ranked team, so they will be the home team. what they will wear? who knows. i hope not white helmets because of Wisconsin's helmets being white. Also, i'm curious as to what the Badgers will wear. Every Rose Bowl in the recent era where they have worn white they wore red pants with it, but last year they lost in them, so will they change?? just throwing that out there.

Also, a realll long shot here, but it seemed like every game where a Major Nike school played a Major Adidas school, adidas pulled a fast one and busted out something new...Maybe something in store for Wisconsin? highly doubt it because of the tradition there, but they did mess with Notre Shame and Michigan too so who knows

Wisconsin's unis are known as traditional??? Who knew?!?

Oregon is the higher ranked team, so they will be the home team. what they will wear? who knows. i hope not white helmets because of Wisconsin's helmets being white. Also, i'm curious as to what the Badgers will wear. Every Rose Bowl in the recent era where they have worn white they wore red pants with it, but last year they lost in them, so will they change?? just throwing that out there.

Also, a realll long shot here, but it seemed like every game where a Major Nike school played a Major Adidas school, adidas pulled a fast one and busted out something new...Maybe something in store for Wisconsin? highly doubt it because of the tradition there, but they did mess with Notre Shame and Michigan too so who knows

compared to most, its a traditional design. 2 striped helmet, 2 striped jersey, 2 striped pants. 2 colors. sounds pretty traditional to me

compared to most, its a traditional design. 2 striped helmet, 2 striped jersey, 2 striped pants. 2 colors. sounds pretty traditional to me

And hasn't really changed all that much since the 1950s save for the style of W on the helmet.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

Baylor players tweeting about new helmet for the bowl.

pic: http://lockerz.com/s/164129072

I like it. I would rather it've been sparkley instead of matte, but nevertheless, I like it. Could've been much worse.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I like it. I would rather it've been sparkley instead of matte, but nevertheless, I like it. Could've been much worse.

They've worn a sparkly version of it before.

action16-lg.jpg

IMO matte will look awful with the shiny pants they've worn this season. Hope this accompanies some new speed machine uniforms (which I doubt since they just got new uniforms this season) or it won't look good at all.

154521.jpg

I don't like the matte helmet trend (I think most people just do bc it is different), but IMO it only works with teams that use the new matte uniforms.

Not too bad, I kinda like it. They should probably wear white pants with them, because I think the shiny gold pants would just look off with a matte helmet.

Also, it's still surreal (in a very good way) to me that Baylor now has a Heisman winner. Baylor.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

action16-lg.jpg

IMO matte will look awful with the shiny pants they've worn this season. Hope this accompanies some new speed machine uniforms (which I doubt since they just got new uniforms this season) or it won't look good at all.

154521.jpg

I don't like the matte helmet trend (I think most people just do bc it is different), but IMO it only works with teams that use the new matte uniforms.

baylor's uniforms are an abject disaster this season...49ers retro style helmet...pro combat jersey with visible flywire and cal's modern claw striped pants...no cohesion whatsoever.

action16-lg.jpg

154521.jpg

baylor's uniforms are an abject disaster this season...49ers retro style helmet...pro combat jersey with visible flywire and cal's modern claw striped pants...no cohesion whatsoever.

I really like Baylor's look from the helmet down about to the waist. If they simply put the same helmet stripes on the pants, they'd be ace. IIRC, they had this look before they switched to their current get-up.

-Edit, yes they did. And it looked quite good. Just bring back those pants and keep the current jersey and it would be great.

64164_27.jpg

Archived