DolphinManatee's Miami Marlins Concept

DolphinManatee

I am going to scrap the orange alt/cap/socks/belt/shoes and replace the white outline on the teal cap "M" logo with an orange outline.

Also, I am not sure whether to have on the teal alt an orange fill/black outline on the script/numbers or keep it the way it is.

Keep it as is. That was it's consistent with the black alt (i.e. inverted).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have much to say other than I like the transition that you have made with this concept. The primary looks cleaner now and I think it works better than the stuff that they have now. One thing I would suggest is standardizing the wordmark. Either go with block lettering or go with cursive. Having both really muddles the concept for me.

I am going to scrap the orange alt/cap/socks/belt/shoes and replace the white outline on the teal cap "M" logo with an orange outline.

I'd like to see that; it would go well with the teal alternate.

Also, I am not sure whether to have on the teal alt an orange fill/black outline on the script/numbers or keep it the way it is.

It might be worth trying, but I don't think it would add much.

I like your concept quite a lot but there are a couple of things bugging me. The black circle kind of looks like a tire, and the Marlin going through it doesn't make sense if the baseball is filling the middle. I don't know, maybe that's nitpickery (is that a word?) but thought I'd mention it.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I like your concept quite a lot but there are a couple of things bugging me. The black circle kind of looks like a tire, and the Marlin going through it doesn't make sense if the baseball is filling the middle. I don't know, maybe that's nitpickery (is that a word?) but thought I'd mention it.

The black in the circle represents the night and the teal and orange in and around the circle represents the South Florida lights.

The baseball-in-the-middle concept comes from their old logo.

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Perfect. Using orange as a trim color is exactly what they need to do. Those teal jerseys are great!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think the main logo is "good enough," but some overall tweaks to the arching style (making them consistent) would help send her home.

Overall, the biggest issue stoping this from being "completely badass" (right now it sits a solid "cool") is the weight of everything.

Things like pencil thin strokes (around the "M" logo, on the scripts, the numbers) that are so "meh" they sorta disappear visually. The main "MIAMI" with the dolphin chest logo feels a little jumbled for the same reason: tiny stroke, tiny marlin slapped behind the M, from 30 feet away that logo will just read a "(jumble)IAMI" in a solid color.

Make the strokes thicker on everything. A 1 pixel stroke is sort of irrelevant in this design. That will help everything feel less lofty and more grounded. Then just do some visual cleaning: make sure the numbers are kerned a bit tighter, throw a little black into the white jersey to ground it, and you're money.

Also, the Marlins script has to go. When you look at it next to the Miami script, one looks like a font and one looks like a drawing. Either really dive nose deep into how to make a script font by hand (a few tutorials online should help with stuff like weight, curves, consistency, etc.), or find a different option.

The jersey options look great, the subtlizing (<-- that can't be a word) of the orange is really good, and the overall package looks really nice. Just work on that detail stuff and it'll be well on its way.

OK, now I'm getting extremely paranoid about this design. All I wanted was to design a logo and uniforms for the Marlins that would get through the owner's thick head, but I'm at a point where I think this is perfect (or as close to perfect as I'm going to get), and I'm afraid to change anything else. (The post above mine doesn't help.)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now I'm getting extremely paranoid about this design. All I wanted was to design a logo and uniforms for the Marlins that would get through the owner's thick head, but I'm at a point where I think this is perfect (or as close to perfect as I'm going to get), and I'm afraid to change anything else. (The post above mine doesn't help.)

how do you intend to get this in front of the owner? do you work for the team in some way? relative? fan mail?

you should really consider the advice given by MattMilone, it's 100% correct.

Archived