Classic / Keep it / Tweek it / Lose it (NHL edition)

29texan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lose it:

Ottawa-Senators.jpg (this logo is so lame)

Return it:

OLD+logo.jpg

I will never, ever, understand why that early version of the Sens is held up as being awesome. It wasn't; in fact, I find it to be generally crap. Thankfully they've cleaned it up since then. The new 2D version is good, and that 3D version is quite good as well, though it might be made better if they could lose the forced dependence on the circle with the laurels, thanks to that early mess.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Serious? That logo is a classic, what on earth would you want to replace it?

Yes seriously! I hate that logo because all they did was take the flames from the "A" in Atlanta and add them to the "C". It seems like a generic move if you ask me. I would like to think that after 31 years they could come up with something not stolen from the original team. Heck use the Horse logo, at least it has flames on it and shows off the rich history that Calgary has with Rodeos.

atlanta-flames-profile.jpgcalgary_flames_2000.gif

It doesn't look like much of a rip-off to me. A different take on a fire theme using a different letter.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Yes seriously! I hate that logo because all they did was take the flames from the "A" in Atlanta and add them to the "C". It seems like a generic move if you ask me. I would like to think that after 31 years they could come up with something not stolen from the original team. Heck use the Horse logo, at least it has flames on it and shows off the rich history that Calgary has with Rodeos.

It doesn't look like much of a rip-off to me. A different take on a fire theme using a different letter.

WOW! They changed the letter and still used flames...no, that is not generic at all. At least when my team moved they changed their name and identity completely. Quebec to Colorado.

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

WOW! They changed the letter and still used flames...no, that is not generic at all. At least when my team moved they changed their name and identity completely. Quebec to Colorado.

What do you want them to change (besides the name)?

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

I do not want them to change the name, but I think two choices would be better: 1) Create a completely new logo, or 2) use the Horse logo because it represents Calgary and rodeos. I would even suggest using that logo and placing a "C" on the forehead to represent the flames.

170px-Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.svg.png

spacer.png

Well, the name meaning "Northerners" doesn't exactly fit in Denver, Colorado...I'd say they had to change the name. Flames, on the other hand, is a relatively universal name. It's not tied down to a specific region.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

I do not want them to change the name, but I think two choices would be better: 1) Create a completely new logo, or 2) use the Horse logo because it represents Calgary and rodeos. I would even suggest using that logo and placing a "C" on the forehead to represent the flames.

Never liked that logo. I understand how it's tied to Calgary, but I just don't think it looks good. The C on the other hand, is class.

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Never liked that logo. I understand how it's tied to Calgary, but I just don't think it looks good. The C on the other hand, is class.

I completely understand your point and I respect it. But I just don't like the ~C and I like the horse better because I am from the Bluegrass State and the home of the Kentucky Derby. We love our horses.

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Can't you discuss it without being a smart-aleck?

I think the logos look pretty different. Sure, they both use flames and both use red and yellow. But the Atlanta logo uses way fewer flames, and has much more of a retro look to it. The Calgary logo is just a plain old 'C' with some flames coming off of it. To me, it has much less of a retro look. The way you talk, the 'A' just looks like a normal 'A' with flames coming off of the side. They're different enough in my mind for the Calgary logo to not look like a rip-off.

This thread is going way off-topic. Someone put us back in our place, fast!

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

I completely understand your point and I respect it. But I just don't like the ~C and I like the horse better because I am from the Bluegrass State on home of the Kentucky Derby. We love our horses.

I understand and respect your point too. Agree to disagree?

spacer.png

The Calgary horse head logo would make sense if the team name was western or equine in nature. But the name is Flames, and a horse head logo doesn't make sense. The flaming C, on the other hand, is a classic and is quite nice.

As for the name, I remember back during the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary how appropriate the name Flames was for Calgary, with the Olympic flame connection. Also, with the gas and oil industry in Alberta, the name flames is more than generic. Sure, it started in Atlanta, but it works well in Calgary.

I respect the Calgary 'C', but I'm opposed to Calgary using the "Flames" name in the first place. It made sense for Atlanta, but not for Calgary. Luckily for the Flames, they've been around for so long and kept mostly to the same identity (the flaming 'C') that it's now a classic. The horsehead is lame.

Anyway, back to topic:

Classic:

yo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif Also: Canadiens, Bruins, Sabres, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers, Blackhawks and many more.

Keep it:

lvchw3qfsun2e7oc02kh2zxb6.gif

Good idea.

Tweak it:

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.gif

This could be made better by slightly changing it without returning to their old ways.

Lose it:

fbh4jfr7lwbpuezjx0xbktfmo.gif

Ugh.

Return it:

201.gif

My #1 wish.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

nuordr, the Calgary Flames did not rip off the Atlanta Flames. Why? They're the same team. You can't rip off yourself. The C is fine.

Classic:

187.gif

Keep It:

e0z8f9w5hoe7hsm531j8g5uah.gif

Tweak It:

71jepx81eqzz1l6q9g1g5j1lh.gif

Lose It:

174.gif

Return It:

175.gif

With the new colors, of course (not the original mustard yellow).

And, of course, as an Orange Country resident, absolutely I want the original Ducks logo back (though I find wildwing64's recolored version interesting).

Keep it:

8lqmtthh0w2wgumr6goswqmki.gif

Wow. Someone likes the blind coyote?

No matter. It'll be a Nordiques logo soon enough.

Archived