Which uniform brand frustrates you the most?

Chawls

So you hate these companies but I guarantee you've bought something from all of them, right? They obviously are doing something right or else they would all be out of business, or swept under the bus like Champion or Starter. So much hate for Nike, UA, and Adidas but really just boils down to most of you not being able to deal with change and the thought that every team should look boring like Penn State and Alabama. Not to mention those of you who are designers would take a job at any of these places in a heartbeat. Could be a bit of a jealousy factor there too...

Changing uniforms because you want your company to sell more stuff and get more exposure is different than changing uniforms because you want to genuinely evolve a design style in a tasteful manner. That's how I'll feel until the day I die. If anything, I'm even more frustrated at the design process and the final products by being inside the industry, but I am glad that I work in it at the same time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you hate these companies but I guarantee you've bought something from all of them, right? They obviously are doing something right or else they would all be out of business, or swept under the bus like Champion or Starter. So much hate for Nike, UA, and Adidas but really just boils down to most of you not being able to deal with change and the thought that every team should look boring like Penn State and Alabama. Not to mention those of you who are designers would take a job at any of these places in a heartbeat. Could be a bit of a jealousy factor there too...

Changing uniforms because you want your company to sell more stuff and get more exposure is different than changing uniforms because you want to genuinely evolve a design style in a tasteful manner. That's how I'll feel until the day I die. If anything, I'm even more frustrated at the design process and the final products by being inside the industry, but I am glad that I work in it at the same time.

Name me one college football team that has gone on a complete change in uniform, just for the sake of evolving a design style.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Name me one college football team that has gone on a complete change in uniform, just for the sake of evolving a design style.

ooh, OOH! Pick me! Pick me!

Nike's corporate colors are orange and white last I checked, are you referring to Oklahoma St when you make that reference? Because OSU has had those colors long before Nike.

Nike was using grey, black, and volt for their products years before they started pushing those colours on Oregon.

So? They used green, yellow, black, red, gold, and well damn near every other color in their products too.

Boy I really can't believe you just said that. But since you did, let me answer that for you: OREGON. And never was that point more apparent than last year in the BCS NC game. Or was that whole "changing the game" campaign bit lost on you? (And don't nann one of y'all try to tell me that primarily had to do with Oregon's play on the field...that was Nike using their minstrel puppets to push product, plain and simple.)

-----------------------------------------

Now, to be fair, and before all the little Nike fanboys come up in here and start spitting venom...UnderArmour's just as guily of th--actually no, they're more guilty of this, and that point really hit home with the stuff they put out for Maryland, who are now UA's little minstrel puppets. (And actually, those with razor sharp memories might remember UA's new toilet-bowl-pants-having template--I don't even know the name of it, and don't want to--first debuted in last year's high-scool All-American game.) At least Nike, for all its overbranding, managed to put out some rather decent sets, and for all the flak Oregon gets, their sets might be the best of them all, even the NC ones (the colors may be out there sometimes, but the overall design is still super-simpole and tastefully done). Howevuh, Andrew was right--engine-turned ND helmets notwithstanding (those were just too much), adidas beat both Nike and UA at their oiwn game with their "Under The Lights" series (well, except for the Northwestern ones)...even had a better name for the campaign, too. (Like Andy said, though, we'll see how long that holds until they jump sharks and eat dogs, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Boy I really can't believe you just said that. But since you did, let me answer that for you: OREGON. And never was that point more apparent than last year in the BCS NC game. Or was that whole "changing the game" campaign bit lost on you? (And don't nann one of y'all try to tell me that primarily had to do with Oregon's play on the field...that was Nike using their minstrel puppets to push product, plain and simple.)

They didn't do that to evolve a design, they did that to hype up the game, and advertise Nike.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

They didn't do that to evolve a design, they did that to hype up the game, and advertise Nike.

I think everyone forgets why and how Nike evolved the Oregon Football team. 15 years ago, Eugene was nothing..Nothing. No one wanted to go there, but thanks to Nike, the Oregon Ducks football program and the city are now on the map. Here are two article that you guys really need to read about Nike and the University of Oregon before you keep debating the same old story day in and day out.

Is Nike's Influence On The University Of Oregon Football Team Bordering On Interference?

How does Oregon football keep on winning?

spacer.png

-----------------------------------------

Now, to be fair, and before all the little Nike fanboys come up in here and start spitting venom...UnderArmour's just as guily of th--actually no, they're more guilty of this, and that point really hit home with the stuff they put out for Maryland, who are now UA's little minstrel puppets. (And actually, those with razor sharp memories might remember UA's new toilet-bowl-pants-having template--I don't even know the name of it, and don't want to--first debuted in last year's high-scool All-American game.) At least Nike, for all its overbranding, managed to put out some rather decent sets, and for all the flak Oregon gets, their sets might be the best of them all, even the NC ones (the colors may be out there sometimes, but the overall design is still super-simpole and tastefully done). Howevuh, Andrew was right--engine-turned ND helmets notwithstanding (those were just too much), adidas beat both Nike and UA at their oiwn game with their "Under The Lights" series (well, except for the Northwestern ones)...even had a better name for the campaign, too. (Like Andy said, though, we'll see how long that holds until they jump sharks and eat dogs, too.)

Actually, I was going the other way with it. Oregon is a good example of a team whose uniform and identity fuels Nike's own interests of selling more gear and getting more exposure, which was the first art of that.

For me, a good example of a team whose uniform and identity fuels the pursuit of design evolution in a tasteful manner would be Notre Dame (for the time being, the engine-turned gold leaf is getting away from it a bit). Everything they do to their uniform is about building the identity of the football program as an extension of the university's own identity. All the changes they make are clean, crisp, quality-looking changes that put the school's interests first and push the boundaries of design and technology, their new 'Golden Dome' helmet being a great example of all those things in one. People forget that design and creativity is about more than just the visuals. Notre Dame's brand looks very traditional, but the guts of the brand itself are quite evolved in many ways.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived