Why don't NBA teams use their primary logos on front of their jerseys?

Ark

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just not part of athletic custom. Athletic uniforms generally feature lettering and a number on the front, and a number on the back (except hockey). Uniforms generally just look a lot classier and more refined when they feature simple lettering as opposed to garish graphics.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's just not part of athletic custom. Athletic uniforms generally feature lettering and a number on the front, and a number on the back (except hockey). Uniforms generally just look a lot classier and more refined when they feature simple lettering as opposed to garish graphics.

This. It's the same reason why it's fine for a baseball team to go all-gray but it would look bad in football or something.

It's been tried (as mentioned: Suns, Rockets, Hawks, North Carolina, Warriors...and not mentioned: Miami, Michigan, Raptors). Football's tried (95-97 World League, some CFL teams in 95, notably Memphis, Birmingham and the Argos). And soccer...the only non-US team I can think of that has something akin to a hockey crest regularly is Mexico's Pumas UNAM, with their big ass puma head. Baseball and Australian football are just about the only sports other than hockey where you can really have at least a partial primary on the front and not really need to do it perfectly (Cubs, Tigers, Reds, Braves, White Sox, Carlton FC), and that's considering in the latter, you're more apt to see striping or V's. Everything else, you'd get a hit or miss reaction, mostly miss.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If that's your example of a team "pulling if off", that's a lousy example. There's nothing good about the Warriors' new look.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd point to the Warriors as perhaps the premier current example of "good idea, bad execution."

I still can't begin to comprehend the reasoning for making everything in the package intentionally slightly off-center.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd point to the Warriors as perhaps the premier current example of "good idea, bad execution."

I still can't begin to comprehend the reasoning for making everything in the package intentionally slightly off-center.

WHAT!?

Good eye, I never noticed that. I always looked at how the circle was of varying thickness for no reason, but now I have another reason to dislike the set.

This gives me an idea. Possible concepts coming up soon.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I, for one, love the old "The City" Warriors uniforms, and love the new scheme. The only thing that bothers me is the use of Copperplate.

My issue with the current jersey is more of the fact that the logo is filled. If you look back at The City jerseys, inside the circle is not filled. But on the new Warriors jerseys, it's filled in and it just makes the uniform feel real heavy

Go A's!

The only reason it doesn't look good is because they still have the number on the front every time they attempt to stick the logo in, making it look busy. Why is the number on front so sacrosanct in basketball? They do without front numbers just fine in hockey, and the announcers can still tell the differences between the players. In fact it would be even easier to tell the difference between players in basketball as they don't have all that heavy equipment on.

And if one number just on the back isn't enough they could easily stick them on the shorts too. Logos instead of numbers and a wordmark on basketball jersey fronts would look much better and more interesting.

Everybody in the thread has nailed it: It just doesn't look right, and scripts are better for basketball jerseys than logos. The UNC uniforms were the best example: They wear classic, timeless, and just plain awesome uniforms with the script, but take away the script and put the logo on the chest and it ruins the entire uniform. Same goes for almost every basketball team you can think of.

As for the Grizzlies uniforms...

vancouver-grizzlies.jpg

reeves-bryant-990228.jpg

I think it's time for me to take a trip to the Unpopular Opinions thread. ^_^

Real estate.

There's less room on a basketball jersey than other sports. Adding a big logo greatly reduces the available space for a number, nearly pushing it down into the waist. Very few teams have been able to pull it off, and in most of those cases, the number was either moved up into the neckline (Rockets), or superimposed onto another design element (90's Sonics).

There's a reason for this...the referees (and other broadcast personnel) need to be able to quickly identify the players' numbers for reporting purposes. The busier a jersey, the harder it is to find and/or read the number.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

a-forte2-101300.jpg

Does that look good?

Thought not.

(Yes, I'm aware that's a college team. Don't bother pointing it out.)

Oh god! Avert your eyes, it's the Jordan debacle! Those lasted one season, and was recieved horribly by fans. Not to mention the Heels were horrible that season.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/lost-uniforms-uncs-logo-jersey-a-y2k-glitch-even-jordan-couldnt-pull-off/

It wasn't a Jordan thing. Michigan had their logo on their jerseys too. Michigan was a Nike team, but not affiliated with Jordan Brand.

Archived