Halifax Highlanders

sparkychewbarky

This is absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it.

And I see no problem with emphasizing the Scottish influence over the maritime influence. Naming a team from Nova Scotia the Highlanders is like naming a team from Minnesota the Vikings.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The execution is terrific, but my gripe remains that I feel there's a Maritime culture altogether separate from Scottish culture, and it would be better to play up the former than the latter.

Hi admiral.

I partly agree with you. The Maritime culture, although greatly influenced by Scottish tradition, IS unique, and I could come up with an identity that would better reflect the character of Halifax.

Probably a 'Mariners' or 'Maritimers' theme/identity would be a more accurate representation of the region, but would that be "better"?

I've been following your excellent "Adventures in NHL Babysitting" thread, and Halifax gets mentioned sometimes as a potential NHL host, but usually gets immediately dismissed because it has no arena and, its a small market.

For Halifax to be a serious contender it would need a huge financial commitment, AND a way to somehow make itself "bigger" in market size.

Halifax may need to find a way to appeal to as many investors and fans OUTSIDE of its boundaries as it does within its limits, if it harbours any NHL ambitions.

This is where my 'Highlanders' plan is much more than just an identity, and although it doesn't truly reflect the Halifax culture, as you note, it IS quite acceptable as a brand to represent the ownership group of...

the City of Halifax, the Province of Nova Scotia and the Scottish-Canadian Community (SCC).

I get involved with the SCC from time to time and I have heard of this desire to create a 'Legacy Project'.

What better legacy could there be for Scotnadians, than the creation/ownership of their own NHL hockey team?

What better location for such a team than Halifax, Nova Scotia ?

The involvement of the SCC in acquiring a team in its cultural "homeland", suddenly gives "tiny" (in relative terns) Halifax, a wealth of potential new investors, and a market of millions in certain revenue streams.

If Halifax was a much larger, self-sufficient NHL market, I probably would develop a more distinctly Haligonian theme...

But out of necessity, I've gotta go Highlander on this.

Some classic stuff from Nova Scotia's late, great Stan Rogers...

I know that "(insert-your-team's-name-here) nation" isn't very original, and it's a very overused phrase, but I think that the Highlanders marketers could take this element to the next level.

There's a fascination and familiarity with the Highlander concept, probably due to the Braveheart and Highlander movies.

The creation of a North American version of Scotland's "Tartan Army" might be an interesting marketing ploy.

The Highlander Nation would have its own logo...

hn2.jpg

The NHL's Guardian Project (whatever happened to that?) inspired me to create a Highlander Guardian, which might have some promotional use.

...So might an "OCH-EH HOCKEY" slogan.

thehighlander.jpg

Some classic stuff from Nova Scotia's late, great Stan Rogers...

I know that "(insert-your-team's-name-here) nation" isn't very original, and it's a very overused phrase, but I think that the Highlanders marketers could take this element to the next level.

There's a fascination and familiarity with the Highlander concept, probably due to the Braveheart and Highlander movies.

The creation of a North American version of Scotland's "Tartan Army" might be an interesting marketing ploy.

The Highlander Nation would have its own logo...

hn2.jpg

The NHL's Guardian Project (whatever happened to that?) inspired me to create a Highlander Guardian, which might have some promotional use.

...So might an "OCH-EH HOCKEY" slogan.

thehighlander.jpg

If REAL PEOPLe could be mascots, he'd be perfect!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

This is absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it.

And I see no problem with emphasizing the Scottish influence over the maritime influence. Naming a team from Nova Scotia the Highlanders is like naming a team from Minnesota the Vikings.

Thanks winghaz.

Although the 'Highlanders' name is Scottish in origin, it sure isn't foreign to Nova Scotia history.

Both Halifax and Nova Scotia 'Highlanders' are world-renowned groups.

I envision the character of this franchise being a blend of Maritime and Scottish elements, in representing its proposed ownership group.

What a great series of ideas you've put on here. Although I like your original concept with the cross across the front more than I do the bland striping on the recent updates. I don't see why people are so intolerant to different ideas instead of the same boring templates. It certainly gave your team a unique identity and is what caught my attention to begin with

Midway.png

What a great series of ideas you've put on here. Although I like your original concept with the cross across the front more than I do the bland striping on the recent updates. I don't see why people are so intolerant to different ideas instead of the same boring templates. It certainly gave your team a unique identity and is what caught my attention to begin with

Thanks Midway, and I think more like you do; I like stuff that's a little out of the box.

However, I do appreciate the appeal of a clean traditional design, so...

Why not have a few sweaters?

I think I'm gonna go with the Home/Away/Home-Alt/ and Special Occasion versions. (4 sweaters)

hey sparky. im actually almost finished my set, but i need a new version of the alternate logo. please email it. also can you give a new copy of the font?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

"I hope I don't give you a fright,

When I land on your roof tonight,

We've got all the presents that were on your list,

If Santa can remember and he's not too pissed..."

Epic lyrics indeed...

In spite of you guys being a bunch of wankers...You're good company! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all in the CCSLC.

See you after Christmas.

wreath.jpg

[mod redacted]

i am not threadjacking. he simply asked me to make this for some ideas. read the 1st page you :censored:

What the frick is up now? I gave Cody21 permission to show me an idea that he had.

What's the dif between telling me a suggestion or showing me a suggestion?

Allow it.

The pack mentality that's developed against this kid by certain board members is makin' me wanna frickin' hurl.

What the frick is up now? I gave Cody21 permission to show me an idea that he had.

What's the dif between telling me a suggestion or showing me a suggestion?

Allow it.

The pack mentality that's developed against this kid by certain board members is makin' me wanna frickin' hurl.

I'll own this one... my bad. I went back looking to see if there was permission, but I must have missed it. Just seemed like an odd jump, and I'm a mod, so I'm supposed to look for such things.

I don't have his original URL to repost it, or I'd reinstate it.

Again, my apologies.

---

Though... was this really necessary?

read the 1st page you :censored:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived