Under Armour adding a B1G school

Ry

I'd say they aren't locked in yet. He says they are "on the come", meaning they aren't guaranteed. But I'd say possibly Penn State, who's complaining about Nike's jerseys. Not like UA can change anything though. But I can see Northwestern or Indiana being the team since they seem to get the bottom rung of adidas' attention.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does not matter about contract length.

Wisconsin is not happy with Adidas due to human rights issues.

Link 1 University's Page dated 12/2/2011

Link 2

True, but all suppliers have this issue to varying degrees. That's why Wisconsin hasn't moved to another, preferring instead to try to influence change from within.

And from the athletic department's perspective, their trademark is a clean uniform with Braisher stripes. UnderArmor would seem a very bad fit.

It is not the issue of the athletic department, it was the University who commissioned the study ten days ago.

There still is a 1/12 shot it is them, but here is a clear case of an administration formally investigating the apparel maker for their practices. And with the issues block away at the state capital in the last 18 months, action could be taken here to go with UA.

Now regardless of sport, Iowa has worn lots of looks which I could call "unique" from the Iowa Barnstormer look in the Tim Dwight era for football for the basketball uni which had a horizontal stripe on the shorts to look as if the jersey was untucked in the 1980s.

First of all, if their contract is written the same as the Adidas contracts that I'm familiar with, then it's going to be cost prohibitive for them to break it, no matter what the school's human rights "issues" with Adidas are.

Second, under the criteria of that study, none of the three major manufacturers are going to pass their tests. They cut off Russell, which actually had a better record than any of the three and previously eliminated Nike for their continued violations.

I applaud their attempt at a moral stand, but it's not going to be very successful in 2011's economic climate.

For a reference...

Illinois - Nike

Indiana - Adidas

Iowa - Nike

Michigan - Adidas

Michigan State - Nike

Minnesota - Nike

Northwestern - Adidas

Nebraska - Adidas

Ohio State - Nike

Purdue - Nike

Penn State - Nike

Wisconsin - Adidas

and about Tim Beckman at Illinois now, sure he came froma UA team, but does a coach have that much pull... (thought maybe he might, see Marcus Jordan at UCF. and he's just a player...)

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

I'd say they aren't locked in yet. He says they are "on the come", meaning they aren't guaranteed. But I'd say possibly Penn State, who's complaining about Nike's jerseys. Not like UA can change anything though. But I can see Northwestern or Indiana being the team since they seem to get the bottom rung of adidas' attention.

Penn State is too hot to handle now.

Plus, if Nike is not taking off the name of the Joe Paterno Child Development Center on their global campus, why would they opt out now?

For a reference...

Illinois - Nike

Indiana - Adidas

Iowa - Nike

Michigan - Adidas

Michigan State - Nike

Minnesota - Nike

Northwestern - Adidas

Nebraska - Adidas

Ohio State - Nike

Purdue - Nike

Penn State - Nike

Wisconsin - Adidas

and about Tim Beckman at Illinois now, sure he came froma UA team, but does a coach have that much pull... (thought maybe he might, see Marcus Jordan at UCF. and he's just a player...)

I think it had a lot more to do with his dad and a lot less with Marcus Jordan.

If I had to guess I'm going with Northwestern.

I think it could be any one of these teams...

Ohio State, Michigan State, and Purdue are not going to swtich over to Under Armor. tOSU and MSU both just got PC unis, and Purdue just got new uniforms. Nebraska is strong Adidas, and apparently, Illinois is definately not switching. Other than that, you're right...

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

This is very disappointing news. The Big Ten is a very good-looking conference and regardless of who the current manufacturer is (Adidas and Nike have both done a good job) I would hate to see one of them take a risk on Under Armour. Auburn may look good, but the large majority of UA schools don't.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Nebraska's eight year contract with Adidas ends in 2012-13 and was signed eight years ago. They are much lower than the deal which Michigan or Notre Dame has currently.

But is in line with the deals that UCLA and Tennessee have signed in the past two years, thanks to escalators in their previous contract. Their contract is also worth more per year than all but about five Nike contracts.

They will have an exclusive negotiation period with Nebraska for a six-month period, then the right to match any offer made by another company.

This is very disappointing news. The Big Ten is a very good-looking conference and regardless of who the current manufacturer is (Adidas and Nike have both done a good job) I would hate to see one of them take a risk on Under Armour. Auburn may look good, but the large majority of UA schools don't.

How much of that is Auburn or UA. I've read that Auburn has kept UA in check with their stuff. I thought they turned down the Wounded Warrior because they were too gaudy or some other design the turned down because it was too UA and not enough Auburn (source?)...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

I can't see UA ruining a traditional school like Penn St, OhSt, Mich, Nebraska, and Wisc.

I'm guessing it's going to be one of the Adidas schools. I can't see Nike letting UA take one of their schools.

Like they did with Maryland, Utah, USF and Texas Tech?

If the dollars don't work for them, Nike will let a school walk. Nike isn't big on matching big numbers offers outside of their top-10 schools, and they have exclusive negotiation periods with them. That's why you rarely see "big" schools change brands. Their previous negotiations with schools have shown they believe schools should take less money for the "prestige" of being a Nike school. Arkansas took $750k/year less to be a Nike school two years ago.

How much of that is Auburn or UA. I've read that Auburn has kept UA in check with their stuff. I thought they turned down the Wounded Warrior because they were too gaudy or some other design the turned down because it was too UA and not enough Auburn (source?)...

It's all in how the contract is written. Some schools take more money but give up some of the design process. That's not just UA, that's all brands. Auburn was very concerned about keeping their football look and wrote into their deal that the school had final approval on all designs.

Most of Nike's middle-tier schools don't have that. They basically get what Nike gives them. All of Nike's new deals are requiring schools to be available for a one-time Pro Combat once every three years, if requested.

As far as Under Armour, schools like South Carolina, USF and Texas Tech have allowed them to create an identity used across all sports. In a lot of cases its a number/letter font that's used for most, if not all, sports. Auburn even has that Copperplate variation that they use for everything except football numbers.

Most big schools with all manufacturers keep approval of football looks. Some schools also have basketball. But for most every other sport, they get whatever the template is for that sport for that year in their team colors.

Please DONT be Ohio state pleaseeeeee

If it's Ohio State, then expect them to get the Auburn treatment. There's no way that OSU will let UA screw up their uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived