Under Armour adding a B1G school

Ry

Please DONT be Ohio state pleaseeeeee

If it's Ohio State, then expect them to get the Auburn treatment. There's no way that OSU will let UA screw up their uniforms.

yeah but if they did I would be more disappointed about losing the sideline apparel and various other things that Nike makes....but I know it won't be ohio state

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't mean it's Wisconsin for sure. UA can make apparel for any school it wants. I see Adidas Illinois apparel in stores all the time.

Not any school it wants. But schools can give licensing rights to manufactures other than the one that supplies their uniform.

jNTsTyQ.png

Sounds like it will be Wisconsin.

5003372-2.jpg?132370112742-30448-Y.jpg

Judging by the looks of it, that's probabley because of the material it's made of. Under Armor makes apparel with a specific material. I have an Under Armor Ball State sweatshirt made of the same thing, and they're a Nike school.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The opting out is not final, it is a deadline set by the university. When UW did this with Nike they extended the deadline under the promise that Nike was attempting to find a solution, which was not found. Adidas has time to plead their case to UW, who has played a part in fixing worker's rights issues (not just cutting ties) with Russell. I'm proud of my university and hope that we're staying with Adidas because 1) they make a good product and more importantly 2) they will have to fix their worker's rights issues for that to happen.

On Wisconsin.

Please oh please I don't want Under Armour.

Funny thing is, there's probably students there who are going "ditch Adidas for human rights issues" that own a counterfeit Rodgers jersey with the numbers falling off and a throwback baby blue Rickie Weeks uniform.

Could be. But Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are also numbers 1 and 2 respectively in terms of jerseys sold. And I'm not sure a student in a group that has been so vigilant over this issue for many years would say "ahh :censored: it, it's a few dollars cheaper" for a knock off.

Also, I don't really understand the notion that UW needs to change up their uniforms because they look like Nebraska. They've worn red jerseys with white two-striped pants and white helmets pretty much since the advent of the plastic helmet.

ameche.jpg

Why would they want to change that?

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

The opting out is not final, it is a deadline set by the university. When UW did this with Nike they extended the deadline under the promise that Nike was attempting to find a solution, which was not found. Adidas has time to plead their case to UW, who has played a part in fixing worker's rights issues (not just cutting ties) with Russell. I'm proud of my university and hope that we're staying with Adidas because 1) they make a good product and more importantly 2) they will have to fix their worker's rights issues for that to happen.

But who would they go to? As you mentioned, they've already cut off Nike and Russell. Under Armor gear is made in the same same foreign sweatshops. Again, I applaud their attempts here, but it's going to be very difficult to find someone that meets the criteria that Wisconsin seems so bent on having.

Also, there's a huge buyout in their contract with Adidas. Wisconsin can say they're terminating with cause, but you can bet that Adidas will dispute that in court or binding arbitration and it'll end up costing Wisconsin millions at some point.

Funny thing is, there's probably students there who are going "ditch Adidas for human rights issues" that own a counterfeit Rodgers jersey with the numbers falling off and a throwback baby blue Rickie Weeks uniform.

Could be. But Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are also numbers 1 and 2 respectively in terms of jerseys sold. And I'm not sure a student in a group that has been so vigilant over this issue for many years would say "ahh :censored: it, it's a few dollars cheaper" for a knock off.

Also, I don't really understand the notion that UW needs to change up their uniforms because they look like Nebraska. They've worn red jerseys with white two-striped pants and white helmets pretty much since the advent of the plastic helmet.

ameche.jpg

Why would they want to change that?

Wisconsin has worn similar uniforms for a long time, but they've worn carbon copy uniforms since the mid-90s. Incidentally, this is around the same time that Barry Alvarez became coach of the Badgers - the same Alvarez who played college ball at... you guessed it, Nebraska. Alvarez played under Bob Devaney and used the Nebraska football program as a model when he took over the Wisconsin reigns.

Skip ahead to the 0:52 mark for Alvarez...

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

But who would they go to? As you mentioned, they've already cut off Nike and Russell. Under Armor gear is made in the same same foreign sweatshops. Again, I applaud their attempts here, but it's going to be very difficult to find someone that meets the criteria that Wisconsin seems so bent on having.

Also, there's a huge buyout in their contract with Adidas. Wisconsin can say they're terminating with cause, but you can bet that Adidas will dispute that in court or binding arbitration and it'll end up costing Wisconsin millions at some point.

Exactly. Unlike Nike and UA, adidas actually has limitations on what factories it works with. Any company Wisconsin switches to is going to be a bigger sweatshop offender.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I hope it's not the Badgers. I love their simple, clean, uniforms. The only thing that bothers me is the helmet stripes and W are a much darker red than their jerseys and pants. Have the red from the jersey used on the helmet and we have a winner.

I hope it's not the Badgers. I love their simple, clean, uniforms. The only thing that bothers me is the helmet stripes and W are a much darker red than their jerseys and pants. Have the red from the jersey used on the helmet and we have a winner.

Anything is better than the techfit jerseys.

spacer.png

What's sad is I live in Wisconsin and I see Wayyyy more counterfeits than real packer jerseys. It's a damn shame

Exactly. Unlike Nike and UA, adidas actually has limitations on what factories it works with. Any company Wisconsin switches to is going to be a bigger sweatshop offender.

the only way that you could assure better working conditions for workers would be to sign with a company that produces domestically and even that can be a challenge...case in point "vertically integrated" american apparel, 100% sourced and made in usa but they hire illegals in their factory...I guess it's pretty much impossible to have ethical/fair trade in the clothing business...I do give wisconsin credit for trying though.

They were a part of the Russell cut-off with about 100 other schools. Russell fixed the problem and the university now works with them again. Sadly, Russell appears to be the best option. The Chancellor here just released a statement that meeting the 15th deadline would be hard for the university to do but that once the red-tape was hurdled the university would submit its 90-day deadline. The contract was never to be cut on the 15th, Adidas was to be given a 90 day deadline on the 15th, though it appears it will be later now.

Archived