HP has a new logo.

Ark

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/a_new_hp_so_close_yet_so_far_away.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ucllc%2Fbrandnew+%28Brand+New%29

hp_mb_logo.gif

The defining signature of the system is the 13° angle. 13° represents HP?s spirit as a company, driven forward by ingenuity and optimism about the future and a belief in human progress. It also refers to the world of computing by recalling the forward slash used in programming. 13° exists within the brand identity, in the graphic language, product design and UI. ? Moving Brands

hp_mb_logo_explain_chart.jpg

Very interesting... I actually sort of like the 2011 logo, but I don't know about the 2021 one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol i assuming that 2021 one is a joke....

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I dig it. The only thing from a legibility standpoint that kinda bothers me is what kevinmets said-- it could be seen as 'bp'. Maybe a small bump out on the tops of the shorter lines that would make them look more like 1's would help. But other than that, I'm pretty impressed with how simple it is and how well it works.

Great modernization of a great logo. I can still very clearly read "hp" in the update. Very well done...

I'd say it looks more like "bp"...

The character on the right is a p, which is a reflected version of the character on the left, so it should be a b.

Nice try hp, but you missed the mark with this one.

I'm calling bull.

Remember that these are the same people that gave us the new Verizon and Home Depot logos.

As of this post, HP's website still features the "old logo" in multiple places, and the "new logo" is nowhere to be seen.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm calling bull.

Remember that these are the same people that gave us the new Verizon and Home Depot logos.

As of this post, HP's website still features the "old logo" in multiple places, and the "new logo" is nowhere to be seen.

...and both of those were April Fool's Day pranks.

I'd say it's legit...although it even admits to being an early concept.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

if you're familiar with HP at all then there should be no problem reading this as "HP". i like it, i would call this one of my top 10 favorite logos of the year. i like how they are taking the 13 degree angle and incorporating it into the rest of their identity assets. its not going to be easy to own a single slash like they inspire to do but it is motivational and possibile. their brand will have to be Apple, Coke, Nike level but that goal is something to admire. it looks very high tech and futuristic. it looks like the mark of an industry leader. theres nothing human about it at all though, i dont think anyone will buy that line. this identity promises a lot. we'll see if they deliver

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If you didn't know the brand before, there's no way you'd be able to tell that it's supposed to read "hp".

That's the point. Everyone knows HP, and HP knows that everyone knows HP. Thus, they know people are going to use the known equity of the HP brand to complete the logical evolution, which is what makes this such a great mark.

No humanistic qualities, but maybe they're implying they are turning humans into robot machines.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If you didn't know the brand before, there's no way you'd be able to tell that it's supposed to read "hp".

That's the point. Everyone knows HP, and HP knows that everyone knows HP. Thus, they know people are going to use the known equity of the HP brand to complete the logical evolution, which is what makes this such a great mark.

No humanistic qualities, but maybe they're implying they are turning humans into robot machines.

That might work for now, but when the next generation becomes consumers in 15-20 years or so, they'll have no idea what that is Not to mention elderly people today. And there are still many people unfamiliar with the brand. Why market to only the people who know who you are? Does that not defeat the whole purpose of a new marketing brand - to reach out to a newer/broader audience? I don't see the point in this change. Why change a 70 year old logo? Seems pretty pointless to me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That might work for now, but when the next generation becomes consumers in 15-20 years or so, they'll have no idea what that is Not to mention elderly people today. And there are still many people unfamiliar with the brand. Why market to only the people who know who you are? Does that not defeat the whole purpose of a new marketing brand - to reach out to a newer/broader audience? I don't see the point in this change. Why change a 70 year old logo? Seems pretty pointless to me.

By the time "the next generation becomes consumers in 15-20 years or so," they'll have grown up with this logo and it'll be as familiar as any other simple, slightly abstract logo is now. I've known since I was a small child that a swoosh meant Nike, whether it also explicitly said "NIKE" or not. It's obviously going to take time to get there, but there's no reason our brains can't be trained to see that logo and think "Ooh, HP!" just like we would for an outrageous number of other logos that we consume, without realizing, every day. As for the elderly, you don't seem to have a good grasp on target demographics or brand positioning. If a computer company is going to base its brand going forward on how senior citizens view them, they're obviously not going to do well. I think your logic here is pretty awful.

I don't think it's going to end up being feasible to really get people to identify with ONE slash like they seem to be aspiring for down the road, but the new 4-lines logo is an entirely ownable and awesome mark.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I think an introductory marketing class would be highly beneficial for you. :grin:

Well, the logo doesn't impress me much and I don't read "hp" as I see "bp"...and I also don't think a change was necessary.

However, as long as they plaster the logo on their products- it will become recognizable- which I don't think qualifies, in terms of design, as a great logo.

I was making a point about it being too abstract, not trying to sound smart. My point was that it looks too abstract IMO. If you went up to 100 different people who had never heard of hp before, most would have no idea what that logo is supposed to mean. My point on the elderly was simply because they're not familiar with the brand, and thus wouldn't understand what they're looking at when they see the logo. In no way was I suggesting that such a prime and significant computer market such as old people would be left out in marketing (yes, that "prime market" is sarcasm). If you told me that was BP Oil's new logo, I would believe you. Here was my point on the "next gen consumers": Bob is 10. I don't know about you but when I was 10, the only computer-related brands I could recognize were Microsoft and Dell (because op opening Microsoft Word on my parents' Dell laptop). Hell, he may even buy a computer in 5 or so years. He wouldn't have grown up with that logo, but he may have seen it on ads or something, but would have no idea what it is. Isn't branding about reaching out to new audiences? If you're just gonna change it because you know that a lot of people will still recognize it, that is stupid. If that's really the reasoning (which I'm not saying it is), then it's CFCS. Why don't the Yankees release a new logo like this because "everyone knows the Yankees"? If I showed some grandpa who is very unfamiliar with technology the Apple logo and told him to guess the name of the brand, he'd probably throw out "Apple" as a random guess. If I showed him the "Dell" logo, he would obviously say "Dell". If I showed him that, he'd probably guess "lyi" or "lqi". IMHO, that is crappy marketing.

Whatever, I'm not gonna get into an argument with a bunch of experienced graphic designers who have their own businesses about marketing (thus the "IMHO"s). That's why I want to become a lawyer (don't worry, I'll have better arguments than this). happy.gif

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived