Matte Helmets in the NFL

hyundaddy279

As many of you have already noticed, matte helmets are one of the "in" things in college football this year. When Nike takes over the NFL next year, do you expect any NFL teams to change to matte helmets as well?

Personally I can see teams like Detroit (essentially a grey matte helmet, rather than silver), Pittsburgh, Houston, etc. changing to matte.

I'd like to hear all of your opinion's on this topic. Let's hear what you guys think

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lions, or for that matter any team with a metallic helmet (Saints, Raiders, 49ers, etc.) should never use a matte helmet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't helmets excluded from that whole exclusive contract thing?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think it could work with the following teams (no particular order, just going in my head): Bears, Falcons, Packers, Eagles, Giants, Seahawks, Redskins, Steelers, Chiefs, Texans, Broncos, Browns, Bengals, & Ravens. Basically, it'd be a mess if any team w/ a helmet that's white, silver, or gold went matte. The Rams' helmet w/ a matte finish would be the worst, IMO.

The packers retro brown helmet shoulddefinetly be matte

Agreed. Actually, if the Packers are going to keep their matte pants, the regular gold helmets should be switched to match.

But yes, Nike's exclusive contract does not extend to helmets. They'd have to get all the manufacturers to supply matte shells, which doesn't seem like such a chore since all the manufacturers seem able to create the dazzle shells, even Jacksonville's teal-on-black.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't helmets excluded from that whole exclusive contract thing?

Yes. Riddell, Rawlings and Schutt will still provide helmets to the players. Nike has unis and apparel, and New Era has sideline caps.

on change that will happen in next season is that riddell loses the "official helmet" designation as that contract expires and the nfl has opted not to sell those rights anymore...I also believe that the rawlings helmet will be nike branded next year...with that change I'm not sure if all manufacturer marks will be allowed or if they will all be covered over like the non ridell brands now.

Yes. Riddell, Rawlings and Schutt will still provide helmets to the players. Nike has unis and apparel, and New Era has sideline caps.

on change that will happen in next season is that riddell loses the "official helmet" designation as that contract expires and the nfl has opted not to sell those rights anymore...I also believe that the rawlings helmet will be nike branded next year...with that change I'm not sure if all manufacturer marks will be allowed or if they will all be covered over like the non ridell brands now.

My preference is that they all be branded with team logos or wordmarks, as the non-Riddell helmets are now.

My suspicion is that all manufacturer branding will be allowed.

Matte would look great with the Steelers. But I don't know how I feel with a classic team going with the latest trend.

Frankly by the end of the season a lot of Steelers players, particularly on defense, pretty much have matte finish helmets anyway. The Steelers are about the only team left that doesn't touch up their helmets during the season; they use unpainted molded black shells and let them collect battle scars. Even the other teams that uses plain molded shells at least polish them up for game day (I'm thinking Colts and Chiefs for this); the Steelers doen't even polish theirs up. They just replace the decals and stripe as needed.

Agreed. Actually, if the Packers are going to keep their matte pants, the regular gold helmets should be switched to match.

But yes, Nike's exclusive contract does not extend to helmets. They'd have to get all the manufacturers to supply matte shells, which doesn't seem like such a chore since all the manufacturers seem able to create the dazzle shells, even Jacksonville's teal-on-black.

You have mentioned before that the Packers wear matte pants. While they may not be as shiny as in past years, they do have a sheen to them and aren't quite what I would consider matte. Matte pants generally have a faded look to them, like all the crap Oregon wears and the Giants' and Jaguars' pants. The Packers' pants still look vibrant. Besides, the matte helmets are much more matte than the Packers' current pants. Maybe they could go with an in-between matte finish, but if the Packers went straight matte with their current helmets, it would look terrible. They could go with the unpainted shell like the Bears/Browns/Steelers do, as that makes the helmets much less shiny. Maybe just lose the sparkle helmets and go back to what they wore a decage ago, although I think the better solution would be to bring back the shiny pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You have mentioned before that the Packers wear matte pants. While they may not be as shiny as in past years, they do have a sheen to them and aren't quite what I would consider matte. Matte pants generally have a faded look to them, like all the crap Oregon wears and the Giants' and Jaguars' pants. The Packers' pants still look vibrant. Besides, the matte helmets are much more matte than the Packers' current pants. Maybe they could go with an in-between matte finish, but if the Packers went straight matte with their current helmets, it would look terrible. They could go with the unpainted shell like the Bears/Browns/Steelers do, as that makes the helmets much less shiny. Maybe just lose the sparkle helmets and go back to what they wore a decage ago, although I think the better solution would be to bring back the shiny pants.

agreed. the shiny helmet is great right now. i honestly don't even noticed that the pants are matte, if they technically even are. I'm not saying your wrong because you probably know more about them then i do, but I've seen them up close and while they are not shinny, they deffinetly are not matte. like Roman said its a in-between. but never make the current gold (athletic gold for you nit-pickers), matte. keep those how they are. But for sure make the throwbacks matte

i dont think Nike would have a say in this. they are being hired by the NFL, whos creative team is pretty damn good and follows their core beliefs strictly. i dont think matte helmets are going to make a large impact here. they are cool, i love matte helmets, but the safety issue alone here (matte being "stickier" suface) would turn me off from it where the NFL athletes are much bigger, stronger, faster.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived