hyundaddy279

Matte Helmets in the NFL

...they are being hired by the NFL, whose creative team is pretty damn good and follows their core beliefs strictly...

Have you seen the Super Bowl logo? :P

Just so ya'll know, the matte finish is because there is no clear coat that makes it looks glossy. You could still potentially make the metallic helmets metallic, they just wouldn't be glossy like they are now. Personally, I could see any team with white (Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Colts, Titans, etc.) going matte.

Mixed feeling on the Stillers going to matte helmets. Might be nice, but if we give in on that, what might be next?

Mixed feeling on the Stillers going to matte helmets. Might be nice, but if we give in on that, what might be next?

their helmets are already so dull they are almost matte...I think it would be worth a mock-up concept

...they are being hired by the NFL, whose creative team is pretty damn good and follows their core beliefs strictly...

Have you seen the Super Bowl logo? :P

touche' sir

Nike might replace your solid, traditional block numbers, symbolic of the team's glory days, with thin, insubstantial italic numbers.

I'd say Texans would be a great candidate for matte. They've got the least history to mess with and pretty bland uniforms overall. The shiny helmets just seem too...pre-packaged.

I'd say Texans would be a great candidate for matte. They've got the least history to mess with and pretty bland uniforms overall. The shiny helmets just seem too...pre-packaged.

I second this.

I second this.

I third this. Also, I could see the Bengals with an orange matte helmet with shiny black stripe decals?

I second this.

I third this. Also, I could see the Bengals with an orange matte helmet with shiny black stripe decals?

I am going to go against the trend and say that ALL matte helmets look much worse than the glossy, metallic or metallic flake equivalents. Looks like someone bought Glidden exterior house paint by mistake and was too cheap to fix it. Sorry, not a fan of matte. In my mind the best looking helmet in the NFL is the Giants because of the lighting effects and the shine of it, even if the logo is a little drab.

On a side note, I think the Texans missed a nice opportunity at being distinct in the NFL by not going with the red jersey as primary and a white helmet.

I second this.

i was thinking the same thing! (about the bengals)

Being a texans fan, i was thinking it would look cool to have a finish like Clemson, not matte but not shiny/glossy, but more like a pearl finish.

and a question about ok states helmets, would those be considered matte?? because i would consider them more of an eggshellish finish, if that makes sense

On a side note, I think the Texans missed a nice opportunity at being distinct in the NFL by not going with the red jersey as primary and a white helmet.

Yeah, original -- just like the Cardinals! :P

NO! Their uniforms are perfect and should be left alone.

Matte helmets look cheap and I hope Nike doesn't make the NFL look like their trendy NCAA teams.

I love the matte helmet finish... but only for some teams. Other's need to stay shiney...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't helmets excluded from that whole exclusive contract thing?

Yes. Riddell, Rawlings and Schutt will still provide helmets to the players. Nike has unis and apparel, and New Era has sideline caps.

on change that will happen in next season is that riddell loses the "official helmet" designation as that contract expires and the nfl has opted not to sell those rights anymore...I also believe that the rawlings helmet will be nike branded next year...with that change I'm not sure if all manufacturer marks will be allowed or if they will all be covered over like the non ridell brands now.

Wow, Rawlings still makes helmets? That takes me back to like Marino rookie year times.

Just off the top of my head, I would say the Ravens would look the best in a Matte helmet. Steelers too because of the fact that they have a black side to the helmet and a textured finish would make sense.

That should be surprising if Rawlings helmets are rebranded as Nike. Most of Nike's uniform unveilings include either the Riddell Revo Speed or some Schutt model of helmet.

Wow, Rawlings still makes helmets? That takes me back to like Marino rookie year times.

Rawlings has a new helmet out this year - Stephen Jackson of the Rams and a few other NFL players are using them, and I believe several Ole Miss players had them as well.

Actually Marino used a Riddell helmet as a rookie - one of the early Riddell WD-1s where the forehead pad didn't stay in place very well (check out the photos from the Super Bowl in January 1985); he went to one of the last Rawlings models in 1986 I believe. When Rawlings quit making the model he used, he went back to Riddell. Rawlings went out of the helmet business by the end of the 1980s until coming back this year.