2012 World Junior Championship

Evil Doctor

What: 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship (aka: World Junior Championship)

Where: Calgary & Edmonton, Alberta

When: December 26th, 2011 to January 5th, 2012

Who: Group A: Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Latvia

Group B: Canada, United States, Finland, Czech Republic, Denmark

I realize most of us will probably doing the discussions on the HF Boards, but I figure it would be good to it rolling on here as well.

Canada has lost two consecutive worlds in heartbreaking fashion, one in 2010 in Saskatoon in overtime to the Americans and again in overtime to the Russians last year in Buffalo after Canada went into the 3rd period with a 3-0 lead.

I attended the Russia/Canada round robin game last year in Buffalo, and it was a lot of fun. Canadian fans absolutely dominated the crowds, making up some 67% of all tickets sold, and were decidely in the majority in the semi-final game against the Americans. With the game in Alberta, this is essentally the fourth consecutive home ice advantage for the Canadians. We should expect full loud houses for all the Canadian games as usual.

tigercatssignature-1.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got tickets to all of the Swiss games for my birthday (Mostly to check out Sven Bartschi) but seeing Russia, and Sweden is a treat as well. I doubt i'll have any luck getting elimination round tickets featuring Canada, but I will try my damnedest!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I've been to two World Jrs. The first in Hamilton in '86 and of course the second last year. I kept my ticket stub from the first one, and got it out last year to look at it after I got my tickets for the Russia/Canada game in Buffalo. The game in Hamilton I attended was Canada/United States and I paid a whole $6 for the ticket. The game last year I paid $85 for ... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

I don't even want to know how much any ticket featuring Canada is going for. I might luck out and get tickets from some friends to see their exhibition game at the Dome on Monday against the Fins.

How is Finland looking?

They've been hurting at the junior level for the last few years, but can never be taken lightly. They do have some talent at this level, but nothing like their neighbors.

• 2 weeks later...

How is Finland looking?

They've been hurting at the junior level for the last few years, but can never be taken lightly. They do have some talent at this level, but nothing like their neighbors.

Granlund is way better than any Swedish prospect at this moment. He's probably the best player not in the NHL right now.

spacer.png

Canada 8 Finland 1 final. The same score as the beat down the 2005 dream team performed on the Finns that year. THAT team of course had guys like Crosby, Richardson, Carter, Perry, Bergeron, Weber...

And the WTF? score of the night: Sweden 3 Latvia 2 with 4 minutes to go in the first...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Apparently blowouts were the theme of the day yesterday...

Canada 8 Finland 1

Sweden 9 Latvia 4

United States 11 Denmark 3

...and the one game I couldn't stay up to see...

Russia 3 Switzerland 0

...turns out to be the best game of night.

Still it must be worrying for the Swedes and the Americans to give up as many goals as they did to the weakest sisters, especially for the Americans who had Jack Campbell in net.

tigercatssignature-1.png

Dec. 27th scores...

Czech Republic 7 Denmark 0

Slovakia 3 Latvia 1

I think the fact that Denmark was shutout against the Czechs after posting 3 against the US suggests that the US might have some goaltending issues. It's also nice seeing Latvia being competative, gotta love maroon uniforms... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived