Best Baseball team as of now

Broncos084

As of now the team that has my bet to go all the way is the Philles. They have some pretty easy games coming up and they have what it takes. I'd say the Cubs normally, but with Prior and Wood out and Sosa battling an injured they just arnt good now. Maybe soon they will pick things back up agian. I want to hear what you guys think.

I too am a ridiculous homer, but I've looked at all the logic and I still have to say the Cubs are the strongest team. My reasoning?

#1 - The Bench - With Prior, Wood, Sosa, Gonzalez and Grudzielanek down the Cubs haven't missed much. Todd Walker has been an m-f'er in the lead-off spot, and the guys rotating in (Tom Goodwin, Ramon Martinez, Jose Macias, Todd Hollandsworth) have done a fantastic job.

#2 - The Healthy Starters - Sure, since Maddux started getting old he's been a slow starter. For the last five years or so he hasn't started to get hot until late June. But he still keeps you in the game, regardless. Zambrano and Clement are doing a great job, and Sergio Mitre has down a decent job, and shows some promise.

#3 - The Survivors - The starters that have managed to stay alive. Moises Alou is on a tear, Michael Barrett is the catcher the city of Chicago hasn't had since Carlton Fisk played for the Sox, Aramis Ramirez is fan-freakintastic. Derrick Lee has been solid, and Corey Patterson is starting to pick it up. Let's not forget Glendon Rusch, who's been pitching a great game.

#4 - Potential - Assuming everyone gets their doctor's releases signed by mid-June, this team is going to rip up the rest of the NL Central, which is the strongest all-around division in baseball.

#5 - 'Cause clannhoran is backing his Cubbies! Also, clannhoran jr. freaks out when the Cubbies don't win, and I hate having a seven year old running around the house freaking out. So I say extra prayers to St. Harry, St. Brickhouse, St. Santo, St. Ernie, St. Fergie and all of the past greats.

CGP.gif

Anaheim has to be the best team right now. They're record is tops in the Majors and they're missing some key players.

Glaus is now done for the season, and Erstad, Anderson, and Salmon have all missed time recently.

I'm not looking forward to Erstad coming back at first though because I'd like to see Casey Kotchman (who came through CR two years ago) continue playing first base.

sig09.jpg

i would love it if my Orioles stayed as good as they are right now and made it in as a Wild Card, but their pitching just isnt good enough.

There will be two great battles in the AL, we all know about NY vs. Boston, but Anaheim vs. Texas should be a great race as well. and then the two that come out on the short end of that deal will also have a good race for the wild card. As far as the central, no one is good, so it doesnt really matter, but experience should boost the twins into the playoffs.

In the NL i expect the Phils and Marlins to have a good battle with Florida prevailing. In the central the Astros are a true contender but they need to take advantage of Chicago's injury problems before the cubs get to full strength. Chicago will win the division but only by a game or two. As for the west, it doesnt matter (see AL Central) but i pick SD. The Wild Card will be a battle between Philly and Houston.

Is it just me or does anyone else root for a one game playoff every year? its great, baseball is the only sport that does the tiebreaker the right way, by actually playing a game.

Azzuri.gif

Baseball, it has been said, is a marathon, not a sprint. The Phils may have to ease up and hold for Larry Bowa right now, but the best team right now is in Orange County with the Anaheim Angels.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Texas Rangers. They have baseball's best infield, a very good outfield, and pitching has been good (they've tailed off a bit, but they're still much better than last year). Also, they are scoring in bunches, have a high batting average, they swept the Red Sox, took two of three from the Yankees, and are in second place in the AL West a quarter of the way through the season.

Not to mention that the best player in baseball still plays shortstop for Texas. :D

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Texas Rangers. They have baseball's best infield, a very good outfield, and pitching has been good (they've tailed off a bit, but they're still much better than last year). Also, they are scoring in bunches, have a high batting average, they swept the Red Sox, took two of three from the Yankees, and are in second place in the AL West a quarter of the way through the season.

Not to mention that the best player in baseball still plays shortstop for Texas. :D

Regardless of whether you mean offense or defense, Scott Rolen, Edgar Rentaria, Tony Womack, and Albert Pujols have something to say about that best infield comment.

I can't say the Cards are the best team yet, but they're starting pitchers have been superb. Especially the ones who weren't supposed to be. It's Woody and Morris I'm worried about.

Our bullpen has been stellar too.

Our D is the best in baseball, though they need some more games for it to show statistically.

Our lineup is arguably the best in baseball, they just need to start earning that title and get some timely, consistant hitting.

Yea, it's way to early to tell. Remember this every year arounf this time the Red Sox are in first and every year they finish the season in second.

Someone said it earlier in this thread, baseball is a marathon not a sprint.

Scott Rolen, Edgar Rentaria, Tony Womack, and Albert Pujols have something to say about that best infield comment.

Just for fun, let's compare the two...

Pujols-Teixeira: advantage: Cardinals

Why: Pujols is a Triple Crown threat; Teixeira has battled injuries all year.

Womack-Soriano: advantage: Rangers

Why: Stats, plus Soriano had a 37 game error-less streak.

Renteria-Young: advantage: Rangers

Why: Young is an MVP candidate, on pace for 35 HRs & 135 RBIs. Doing it all while changing postitions to accomodate Alfonso Soriano.

Rolen-Blalock: advantage: Rangers

Why: This is the closest one, but I have to go with Blalock. He's among the AL leaders in homers & has been stellar at 3B.

Offensively overall: advantage Rangers.

Definsively overall: advantage Rangers.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Archived