BigBubba's MLB

BigBubba

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be honest, I've been very critical of your work, and I really do not like this Marlins concept. The Marlins are one of the hardest teams to make a concept for. But in all honesty this has so many flaws. Here's what's bothering me:

-Use of black. Either commit to it as a main color for the fish or don't use it. The way it's used looks really out of place.

-Teal alternate on the road. To me, teal is too light to wear with grey, but this isn't a very big problem.

-Both Marlins and Miami wordmarks on primary home and road hard to see.

-Teal logo on teal cap.

-Fish logo. I'm sorry, but it's just too simple and cartoony.

-Orange belt. Should probably be teal. Especially with teal socks and usually teal hats.

-Scripts have no character. Blocky and boring, and they really don't say Marlins.

-Silver fish. Just seems so out of place, when silver is not used anywhere else in the color scheme.

While this seems like a lot, there are some aspects I like. For example, I love the piping.

This is what I would do:

-Consider a different palette. I like just black-teal-white myself, and I think it's the easiest to pull off. I would recommend making the colors black and teal with a hint of orange.

-Use an existing script. Both the old Marlins script and the new ones for the Miami set are very nice scripts and could both work on a jersey. Also, they have character, which is very important.

-Give them a uniform number on the front of the jersey. Looks a bit empty without it.

This might sound odd, but maybe move on to another team. This is going to sound harsh like "this is so bad just give up," but that's not the idea. There's a reason in my series that I wanted to wait to do updates. As time passes, you get better ideas. When all you do is think about what you can do to one team, it's hard. Give it some time. Take these comments lightly. I've been following this series closely and I think you could definitely put together a great Fish concept. I appreciate the hard work you've put into this, and I can't wait to see more.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm going to be honest, I've been very critical of your work, and I really do not like this Marlins concept. The Marlins are one of the hardest teams to make a concept for. But in all honesty this has so many flaws. Here's what's bothering me:

-Use of black. Either commit to it as a main color for the fish or don't use it. The way it's used looks really out of place.

-Teal alternate on the road. To me, teal is too light to wear with grey, but this isn't a very big problem.

-Both Marlins and Miami wordmarks on primary home and road hard to see.

-Teal logo on teal cap.

-Fish logo. I'm sorry, but it's just too simple and cartoony.

-Orange belt. Should probably be teal. Especially with teal socks and usually teal hats.

-Scripts have no character. Blocky and boring, and they really don't say Marlins.

-Silver fish. Just seems so out of place, when silver is not used anywhere else in the color scheme.

While this seems like a lot, there are some aspects I like. For example, I love the piping.

This is what I would do:

-Consider a different palette. I like just black-teal-white myself, and I think it's the easiest to pull off. I would recommend making the colors black and teal with a hint of orange.

-Use an existing script. Both the old Marlins script and the new ones for the Miami set are very nice scripts and could both work on a jersey. Also, they have character, which is very important.

-Give them a uniform number on the front of the jersey. Looks a bit empty without it.

This might sound odd, but maybe move on to another team. This is going to sound harsh like "this is so bad just give up," but that's not the idea. There's a reason in my series that I wanted to wait to do updates. As time passes, you get better ideas. When all you do is think about what you can do to one team, it's hard. Give it some time. Take these comments lightly. I've been following this series closely and I think you could definitely put together a great Fish concept. I appreciate the hard work you've put into this, and I can't wait to see more.

I see. I'll come back to them and the Chiefs in around 5 or 6 concepts. In the meantime, Here are the Milwaukee Brewers:

I love the Brew Crew's old colours: they're so bold and bright, unlike the dull ones they wear now. I love the BiG logo, but I would end up pretty much doing a straight throwback, so I kept the current logo and scripts, which I love. I went with a yellow front-panelled cap for the alt because, what can I say - I'm a sucker for different coloured front panels. Maybe you can see, but I made the belt on the alt have a wheat pattern on it. If it's hard to see, I'll blow it up. I should note, however, that I couldn't find the "Milwaukee" script in SVG. If anybody knows where to find one, please PM me it (and the new Marlins ones, for that matter).

MilwaukeeBrewersLogos.png

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseyLogos.png

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseys.png

C&C Please! :)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Epic. Totally blows the current set away. Suggestions:

-Love the wheat underline, I would use that on all three jerseys.

-Put Milwaukee on the roads (EDIT: Never mind, you covered that)

-If you're going with a uniform number on the front of the home, I would probably do the same for the road and the alternate, but definitely the road.

Excellent work. Also I LOVE the touch of red in the primary logo.

Milwaukee Brewers Update:

I'd like to thank GatorHunter for providing me with the "Milwaukee" script. Apart from adding that, I put numbers on the front of the primaries (it just didn't look good on the alt). I made the stripe on the alt pants thicker to match the fat striping on the jersey. I tried to put the wheat underline on all the jerseys, but it just didn't look good. A blue underline clashed with the pinstripes and a yellow one looked bad on white. For the road, the script's shape doesn't go well with it, and it would look dumb to have it on the road but not the home.

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseyLogos2.png

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseys2.png

I love the job you did with the Brewers. One thing I'd do is make the Brewers script white and the wheat yellow for that blue jersey. That way it matches the blue cap. Also, I just feel like the wheat should be more yellow than white. Very creative with the belt and underline on the script. 10/10

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Milwaukee Brewers Update No. 2:

I fixed the belt and the script colour. Because the script is now white, it looked better to change the arm piping to yellow. Turns out there was actually an (same-colour) outline on the numbers, so I removed that. No change to the logos; they're just there to display the final product together.

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseyLogos3.png

MilwaukeeBrewersJerseys3.png

St. Louis Cardinals

A cardinal is mostly bright red and black. Not dull red and navy. So their jerseys should be (bright) red and black. Relax, Cards fans, there's no black jersey. But there is black trim.

The Cards would have arguably the best set in MLB if they only put St. Louis on the road. As I wan unable to find the one that matched the home in SVG, I decided to go with the script from the Busch Stadium logo. I thought it had a nice retro-ish feel to it.

StLouisCardinalsLogos.png

StLouisCardinalsJerseylogos.png

StLouisCardinalsJerseys-1.png

Edit: I just noticed a minor issue with the nameplate height on the home. Don't worry, I'll fix that come next update.

St. Louis Cardinals

A cardinal is mostly bright red and black. Not dull red and navy. So their jerseys should be (bright) red and black. Relax, Cards fans, there's no black jersey. But there is black trim.

The Cards would have arguably the best set in MLB if they only put St. Louis on the road. As I wan unable to find the one that matched the home in SVG, I decided to go with the script from the Busch Stadium logo. I thought it had a nice retro-ish feel to it.

StLouisCardinalsJerseylogos.png

StLouisCardinalsJerseys-1.png

wow. those cards look epic. its not abig change wet its good ebough. now i see why you told me to slow down.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I don't like the block "St. Louis" on the road jersey. I think it would look better if you used the script version.

read the post. he couldn't find in .SVG format which is what he uses. i personally like the block lettering as its different.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I don't like the block "St. Louis" on the road jersey. I think it would look better if you used the script version.

read the post. he couldn't find in .SVG format which is what he uses. i personally like the block lettering as its different.

No need to get snippy. Talking about this one?

qb0kmfgjqus44lzgjffxgaxd4.gif

I agree with Quillz, it should be script on both. Maybe block on the alt, but not on the primary. I'm not sure if the fact that you couldn't find the .SVG was the deciding factor in going with the block, or it persuaded you to find something you liked more, but it's pretty easy to trace things like this in Inkscape. I would take that route.

It's really odd seeing the Cardinals without the classic bird on bat. Regardless, it still looks nice. The only problem I see is mismatched piping. Make the piping on the pants red or make the sleeve piping for all jerseys black. I personally would go with the first one but it's up to you.

The main reason I went with the block script was just to see what people thought of it. No matter.

St. Louis Cardinals Update No. 1:

I fixed the piping, found the "St. Louis" script (thanks to GatorHunter), and fixed the nameplate. The main reason the bird-on-bat for the hat didn't work is because red on red looked bad, even with a white outline. So it was either ditch it or make a black hat.

StLouisCardinalsJerseyLogos2.png

StLouisCardinalsJerseys2.png

On a side note, I have a list of all the teams so far and links to the posts for easy navigation on the first post, underneath the image of the league batter logos, is anyone cares. C&C welcome :)

Archived