BigBubba's MLB

BigBubba

Well, it's my 1 000th post here on this website, and I decided to do something fun with it (i.e. Not some "1 000!!!" on the Celebrate Yourself Here Thread). I've completed 7 concepts so far and am doing the groundwork on an eighth. I intend to do a concept for every team no matter how long it takes me. Just to clear up any potential confusion, here's how things will work: I make a concept. I keep working on it based on C&C until people are satisfied, and then I move on. At the end I may consider doing defunct teams or teams from other leagues (I'll probably do requests fr those if I in fact go that route). This has been in the works for a few months now, starting a few weeks before my first concept (Which in hindsight was crap. I had just got Inkscape and was clueless. I used the fill tool, didn't know how to get rid of a stroke, and actually did the colouring in paint). I'd like to thank gingerbreadmann for his Inkscape tutorials, those were extremely helpful for a newb. Anyways, enough about my process, you clicked to see the concept. So...

Taking a page from Fox, I will be using kevinmets' idea from the MLB Colour Game by giving each team a unique colour scheme (I kind of cheated that by using navy/dark red and blue/lighter red, but they're still technically different colours). Oh, and I won't be revealing which team has which colour scheme until I release the actual concept, so have fun guessing. (I'll be releasing the concepts in order of their silhouetted batter logos).

ORIGINAL COLOUR SCHEMES UPDATED COLOUR SCHEMES

1. Cleveland Chiefs --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition (Final)

2. Toronto Blue Jays --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition --- (UPDATE NEEDED)

3. Miami Marlins --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition --- Fourth Rendition --- Fifth Rendition --- Sixth Rendition --- Seventh Rendition (Final)

4. Milwaukee Brewers --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition (Final)

5. St. Louis Cardinals --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition (Final)

6. Baltimore Orioles --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition --- Fourth Rendition --- (UPDATE NEEDED)

7. Detroit Tigers --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition --- Fourth Rendition (Final) --- (UPDATE NEEDED)

8. San Francisco Giants --- First Rendition --- (UPDATE NEEDED)

9. Boston Red Sox --- First Rendition (Final)

10. New York Yankees --- First Rendition --- Second Rendition --- Third Rendition (Final)

11. Colorado Rockies --- First Rendition --- (UPDATE NEEDED)

Cleveland Chiefs:

They are now the "Chiefs". Indians is politically factually incorrect, but I'll leave it at that. I don't want another debate on PC here. I thought brown would be an excellent addition to Cleveland's colour scheme and would separate them from this RWB crap. Only after I chose it did I realize it resembled Fox's (same colour scheme). Perhaps that was subconscious (I had seen the concept before). Anyways, I went with a logo that is supposed to resemble the head of a totem pole, thus the odd appearance. The alt is a dreamcatcher. The rest is straightforward: the scripts are in the same font as the Block C (TribeType). Congrats to whoever read all this.

ClevelandChiefsLogos.png

ClevelandChiefsJerseyLogos.png

ClevelandChiefsJerseys.png

C&C appreciated!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, great start. Chiefs logos are very nice. I'd work on the alternate logo a little bit though. The three leafs look like they are just placed randomly there. They don't really work with the dreamcatcher. Try to make them connect more. The uniforms are very good too. I feel the red alternate would work best for the home and vice-versa. Other than that, nice work!

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

IMO: The dream catcher needs more details like hatching. I find the all of the uniform sets awesome. There's only one thing that is bothering me. I think you need to outline both of the alternates in white. Other than that, its a solid set dude. :grin:

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

I get what you're going for here, but I think there's definitely some RTI. I'm not big on brown and red, but it's your baby, so if you like it, go for it.

The totem pole idea is cool but loses the effect without the other heads or totems beneath it. It looks more like a mask (which I thought it was until I read your explanation), which I think you could turn it into by changing the shape. I recommend some research into art by Ohio tribes if you go that route. Totem poles are found in the Pacific Northwest, not in the Midwest. If you're going to drop Wahoo in the effort to be culturally sensitive, pick symbols that reflect the region's native tribes.

The dream catcher is a cool idea, although those may be a practice by tribes farther west than Ohio. You have an opportunity to make it a bit more intricate, right now it looks like some sort of target or crosshairs. Maybe you can work a baseball design into it and make it stand out a little more as a baseball logo.

I think there's potential here to make some unique and authentic logos for Cleveland with just a little tweaking.

As a quick aside, I don't think "Indians" is necessarily racist, even though it originated from poor geography. I'm sure plenty of people here disagree with me there, but thats what I think. We're probably better off just calling them the Cleveland Baseball Sports Team Presented by Doritos or something.

Nice work, I look forward to the follow-on concepts.

Grunge-Logos.png

The three leafs look like they are just placed randomly there.

Sorry, quick DP. Looking at this, I can see how pirates fan thinks they're leaves and not feathers, which is what I assume they are. Add some notches in there and maybe color the tips like the Redskins or current Indians logos. I also agree with white outlines on the brown and red alts.

Grunge-Logos.png

This is some really nice work here. I love the brown and red, and I'm enjoying the primary logo. However, I would suggest incorporating a taller totem pole as part of the alternate logo, and removing the "sniper-scope" from the current alt. Still, nice work, and I can't wait for the rest of them!

Nice work BigBubba, glad to see you start a series. I'll be following it closely!

I'm not sure about the logos, but the uniforms are very nice. No real complaints on the unis. One suggestion would be to flip the red and brown, making the red the home alt and brown the road alt, because I think of red as the lighter color between the two (although you could make the argument either way.)

Overall, nice work, this is a VERY good start. I know it's not your first, but for concept number 8, you're on a great pace.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Both logos are big misses for me.

The dreamcatcher is a fine idea for a logo but this doesn't look like one. It seems to look like more of a tire with some feathers crudely attached. There needs to be some sort of pattern besides circles for me to be convince.

As for the totem pole idea, also not a bad thought in theory. Although it has been mentioned that that's more of a pacific northwest thing, it's just an idea with a potentially good logo. But between the single face, the odd shape, and the perplexing addition of a feather, this just does not work IMO.

The uniforms are very sharp and well done, but the logos need a LOT of work to convince me that this is a major league ball club.

Update time!

What I Did:

- Tweaked the feathers by adding a little indent/notch

- The feathers are now more "attached" to the dreamcatcher; they aren't just placed there anymore (dreamcatchers were in fact made by Ohio tribes)

- The totem pole is not a mask. No change to the shape, just what it is. Do you think I should keep it like that and call it a mask, or change the shape? Some masks kinda resembled mine, but should I change its shape?

- Home and road alt colours switched

- Cream outline added to the numbers and names on the alts

- I tried to fix the dreamcatcher-crosshair thing

What I Tried:

- Incorporating a baseball into the alt logo. It was way too cluttered

- Making the dreamcatcher cut off so it formed a "C", but it looked too incomplete

Indians is not politically incorrect.

*sigh* At least post C&C if you're going to get into that. Anyways, when Columbus came to America, he thought he was in India because nobody in the east knew that there was a continent in the way. So he mistakenly called the people "Indians". They are not Indians. Indians live in southern Asia and speak Indian. My opinion has since changed. "Indians" is not politically incorrect, but it is factually incorrect, so I still stand by my change.

ClevalandChiefsLogos2.png

ClevelandChiefsJerseyLogos2.png

ClevelandChiefsJerseys2.png

Thank you everyone for the C&C, I really appreciate it. I feel I've addressed most issues with this set, however, I want to see what -Akronite- thinks I need to fix (I want a little more detail on what he doesn't like about it).

That update was a HUGE improvement. I'd say it's perfect. I'll let you consider these two ideas, but I'm not sure how it would look.

1) Add a thin brown outline to the #-on-back for the primaries. Just for consistency. Like I said, it looks great without them, so I wouldn't mind if you didn't change anything.

2) Another nitpick, but adding a red outline to the feather on the dream-catcher in order to better show that they are connected.

I cannot anything else that needs to be changed. Great job again.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I really like the new Indians color scheme and I don't mind the new name. I do think that that your primary logo could be improved by taking away some of the unnecessary extra colors like the gray and the tan. Also, I would consider changing the shape as it looks like a tiki now.

spacer.png

The uniforms look great, but the marks need a lot of work, IMO. When I look at that primary, the thing that bothers me is that it's fairly obvious that every element was drawn with a shape tool. It's too symmetrical, and it seems a little cartoonish. I would think about maybe hand drawing a primary, that may be easier to manipulate. As for the dreamcatcher, I feel like it's missing something to pull it all together. You've got a red outline on the circle and a black one on the feathers. I would look at that to help with the continuity issue. I think the dreamcatcher also suffers from the "autoshape" issue, as well. It's just too symmetrical and 'perfect'.

Just a few things that I noticed when looking at the update.. The different pair of grey pants with red piping for the brown alt is bothering me, as is the brown belt only for that jersey. The browns socks I have no problem with though because the move is logical. My suggestion would be to make all belts brown, which would also help with color balance IMO. I would also use the regular road pants with the brown jersey and either keep the red piping or get rid of the sleeve piping all-together on that one jersey.

Also, a very trivial change: In general, with hats with a brim that is a different color than the crown, the button on top is the color of the brim. I would make the button on the brown cap red and the button on the red cap brown.

Nice update. Looking forward to seeing more.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

I'm stumped on the Chiefs. I've been trying to fix the "perfect symmetry issue", but I have nothing yet. Since I've already gone over a week without an update, I'll just go to the next team in the time being, Toronto.

Toronto Blue Jays:

This whole set is pretty much a cleaned-up, vectorized, and recoloured (with the new royal-navy) version of my original Blue Jays concept (see the link in the first post). The logo needs some work for sure, but here you go:

TorontoBlueJaysLogo.png

TorontoBlueJaysJerseyLogos.png

The blue jersey is a universal alt like they have now, and the red is a Canada Day one.

TorontoBlueJaysJerseys.png

Oh, and I should mention that I couldn't find the Jays' split-letter font, so I did my best to recreate it. I know it doesn't split through the edges, but that was the best i could muster. Also, do you think I should make the split thinner? It looked fine when I made it, but now it's starting to look a bit fat. I was thinking of putting the logo on the front of the jersey (like the 2012 and original sets), but it just didn't fit. I'm debating between putting a number and the logo there (so I left it blank for now).Thoughts?

I hate to say it but I honestly don't like this concept. While for a self-made logo, the blue jay is nice, it's far inferior to then real one. And the scripts I'm not a fan of either. Something about them, they lack the character that the real split-font Jays scripts have. And I miss the blue jay on the front of the jersey. I think it could possibly use a sleeve patch. If no Jay on the front, it could go on the sleeve. And I honestly don't like the piping that you did, (two-tone blue) as much as the route they went (double royal piping).

This may sound harsh, but it's more of an opinion thing. I think this concept sucks the character out of the Blue Jays identity. However, the presentation is near flawless, very high quality, and I've seen a lot of progress with your blue jay logo, although as you said, it's not ready yet.

I do look forward to seeing more, can't wait until you take on the Red Sox.

The main reason I posted that was because I had turned my old concept into a flashier vector image, and I wanted to post the update. In hindsight, however, this is a rather poor effort on my part. I've already edited the bird a lot, and there's not much I could do on the jerseys. At first I thought I had to create a brand-new logo for every team, but If I can't improve it, I'll just work within the teams' histories. So here you go, my Blue Jays 2.0:

This is a blend of eras. I used the 80s font, the Clemens-Era logo, all with the new colours (thanks SFGiants58 for telling me about EriqJaffe's fonts). And Fox, I've decided to keep the two-tone blie piping because it's what the original set had, and it's what I wished they had gone with in 2012. The logo is a recoloured, tweaked version of the 97-02 one (brighter red, royal-navy blues, I removed one of the grey "shadows", and a white outline followed by a blue one as opposed to 2 blue ones). The rest is self-explanatory. On a side note, the 8 in the font was screwed up for some reason, so I put 13 on the back.

TorontoBlueJaysLogo2-1.png

TorontoBlueJaysJerseyLogos2.png

TorontoBlueJaysJerseys2.png

Archived