What the Pittsburgh Penguins should use

habsfan1

I still don't get what the problem was with the "Robo-Pen" logo. That was a strong, classy crest that looked great on a hockey sweater, as opposed to the current one, which looks like an eight-year-old drew it and totally clashes with the modernity of the sweater design.

It replaced a look associated with back to back Stanley Cup Championships.

And we all know how much "championships" = "ZOMG UNTOUCHABLEZZ DEY CAN'T CHANGE DEM!!!!4321" or "ZOMG DEY WUN CHAMPEYUNSHIPZZ DEYGOTTA GO BAA-A-AAACCKK!!!1234"...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get what the problem was with the "Robo-Pen" logo. That was a strong, classy crest that looked great on a hockey sweater, as opposed to the current one, which looks like an eight-year-old drew it and totally clashes with the modernity of the sweater design.

Life moves in one direction: Forward. Forget the current logo and the robo-pen, and just rebuild completely.

believew.jpg

Life moves in one direction: Forward. Forget the current logo and the robo-pen, and just rebuild completely.

Yes let's constantly reinvent a brand. Change for the sake of change always works out!

And we all know how much "championships" = "ZOMG UNTOUCHABLEZZ DEY CAN'T CHANGE DEM!!!!4321" or "ZOMG DEY WUN CHAMPEYUNSHIPZZ DEYGOTTA GO BAA-A-AAACCKK!!!1234"...

*shrug*

To me it's all about legacy. The Canadiens and Yankees look the same now as they did when those great teams of years past won championships. Life certainly moved forward but they never messed with their classic uniforms.

All things considered the Yanks and Habs are some of the best teams a younger team can look to. They have their legacies, a younger team should try to build their own. You don't help yourself in that regard by changing your look after winning back to back championships (Penguins, Rockets).

Besides, think of it like this. Now the Pens have three Cups to their name while wearing the skating penguin while the robo-penguin was worn during the years between the first two Cups and the third when they didn't really do much. Which logo is going to resonate more with the fans? And drive merchandise sales as a result?

While I do understand the logic, that doesn't make the robo-penguin a bad logo on it's own. I understand that fans will prefer the skating penguin for obvious reasons. But that has nothing to do with design. The robo-penguin, championships or no championships, was still a good design.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

It was good... but I think the skating penguin's simply a more solid design. One of the few "old-school-cartoony" logos that I think has held up.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

To me it's all about legacy. The Canadiens and Yankees look the same now as they did when those great teams of years past won championships. Life certainly moved forward but they never messed with their classic uniforms.

All things considered the Yanks and Habs are some of the best teams a younger team can look to. They have their legacies, a younger team should try to build their own. You don't help yourself in that regard by changing your look after winning back to back championships (Penguins, Rockets).

Besides, think of it like this. Now the Pens have three Cups to their name while wearing the skating penguin while the robo-penguin was worn during the years between the first two Cups and the third when they didn't really do much. Which logo is going to resonate more with the fans? And drive merchandise sales as a result?

The Canadiens look is similar, not the same. It's evolved over the decades. It is also a good looking logo in it's simplicity which fits my logo maxim: The maximum amount of information with the minimal amount of design. It also fits in my category of 'ultimate logo' where it's become as good as it's going to get, and you wouldn't want to alter it in anyway or go with a completely new concept. It's as permanent as it gets. The 'robo-penguin' was a logical evolution of the penguins logo. The current logo is a step back, and quite frankly has a minor-league cartoonish quality about it. What championships they have won with it shouldn't be relevant to evolving their look.

tigercatssignature-1.png

*shrug*

I agree that the skating Penguin should always be the primary, vegas gold or otherwise, but losing the Robo-penguin shoulder patches was a big mistake. A bigger mistake was using a generic RBK template for striping. The current jerseys say nothing about the Penguins Legacy to me even if their last cup was won in them. How much better would that triumph have looked if they were wearing their fantastic pre edge jerseys?

Whoa Buc...are you saying it is not the uniform that is doing all that winning? But the guys in them? So we could take the Packers and put them in a Browns uniform and they would not suck? WOW! ^_^

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The Canadiens look is similar, not the same. It's evolved over the decades. It is also a good looking logo in it's simplicity which fits my logo maxim: The maximum amount of information with the minimal amount of design. It also fits in my category of 'ultimate logo' where it's become as good as it's going to get, and you wouldn't want to alter it in anyway or go with a completely new concept. It's as permanent as it gets. The 'robo-penguin' was a logical evolution of the penguins logo. The current logo is a step back, and quite frankly has a minor-league cartoonish quality about it. What championships they have won with it shouldn't be relevant to evolving their look.

The CH used by the Habs in, say, the 40s isn't the same logo thru use now, true enough. It's still the same general design though, they've just cleaned it up over the years.

The robo-penguin, on the other hand, is not a simple cleaning up of the original skating penguin. It's a whole new design, not the "logical step in the skating penguin's evolution."

The robo-penguin, on the other hand, is not a simple cleaning up of the original skating penguin. It's a whole new design, not the "logical step in the skating penguin's evolution."

Same basic idea... A Penguin in a gold triangle.

Speaking of brand and legacy, has any other team had more unnecessary alterations in their history? They haven't gone more than 4 years without changing their jerseys...

penguinsk.png

There was nothing wrong with Robo Penguin; I like both the Skating and Robo Penguin. Replacing a look that just won a championship, in this case two consecutive, generally isn't the best idea and was Robo Penguin's demise, which is lame because the logo was good.

Mario didnt like the robo pigeon and he doesnt like athletic gold apparently either. So as long as he is running the franchise the only place your gonna see either is on the relevant team banners.

Mario didnt like the robo pigeon and he doesnt like athletic gold apparently either. So as long as he is running the franchise the only place your gonna see either is on the relevant team banners.

I always wonder if some people will ever develop a grudge against him for that reason.

I always wonder if some people will ever develop a grudge against him for that reason.

As a fan of both athletic gold and the pigeon logo, I can let the disuse of both slide, the pigeon more so then gold. Now if he were to ditch black and vegas gold for blue and white, (which after the second WC jersey also being blue and white had me wondering) then yeah I'd have a grudge.

As a HUGE fan of Mario Lemieux, I'm not even kidding, HUGE fan, I can pardon his dislike for the Robo-pen and vegas gold. It obviously symbolized an era for him that was very troublesome thanks to the lousy owners at the time. If he goes to blue and white, all h*** will break lose. Then again, why would you go back to a color scheme that's associated with the worst era in franchise history, maybe even NHL history. I see vegas gold being the norm for 30 years and on. However, I do hope he goes back to the pre-edge template:

02Home.jpg

03Home.jpg

I wasn't a fan of them for a while, but I have to admit, they do look pretty, especially with the metallic gold. Now it looks like khaki, or some sort of tan.

REEBOK2.jpg

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

03Home.jpg

I wasn't a fan of them for a while, but I have to admit, they do look pretty, especially with the metallic gold. Now it looks like khaki, or some sort of tan.

Simply beautiful jersey.

I agree wholeheartedly that using Vegas Gold in a non-metallic application was a huge gaffe on the designer's part, especially considering the Vegas on the crest remains metallic. The shades do not match up.

Archived